Roman Republican Coins #s 71, 72, & 73

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A big reason people left coin talk was too many good people got banned for minor reasons. A little more consideration should be paid to the contributions people make before banning them from for life. I was amazed how many people we're banned from here and for what reasons.

DonnaML and red_spork like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Nothing at all to do with intellect, let alone being a "trouble-maker." Please don't misconstrue what I said. I said "easily" understand, not "understand." There's a strong emotional element to the differing perceptions of certain events and symbols in U.S. history -- even now, more than 150 years later -- that one learns and absorbs more easily when one grows up here or lives here for a long time. My mother didn't grow up in the USA, and she certainly didn't know much of anything when she first arrived here about the Civil War or different flags or how people felt about all those issues and how they still related to current political and social issues back in the 1940s and 1950s. I'm sure there are certain issues of European history, recent or otherwise, within or between different countries, that have a strong emotional element for people who grow up learning about them. I may know something about those issues, but it isn't quite the same. Example: the Spanish Civil War. By contrast, I do find that as the daughter of a German-Jewish Holocaust survivor, others with the same background and I tend to instinctively understand each other, and have similar emotional perceptions of what happened. More easily than even other American Jewish people who don't have similar backgrounds, even when they've studied it.

The fact remains that it wasn't me who brought up the substance of any of this in this thread. All I did initially was post a link to a new write-up at the other place. I wish @GinoLR, whom I greatly respect, hadn't publicly brought up what happened again. Most of that is still there for people to see. And I have no desire to discuss the details again publicly, especially given that we're all constrained from saying anything specific about how the entire thing was handled.

I do notice, on a different subject, that there are a number of people at the other place who said that they tried repeatedly to join Coin Talk, but were unable to do so, and got no responses to their inquiries.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    IdesOfMarch01 likes this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Voldemort likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted