Roman Republican Coins #'s 69-70: Centaurs & Elephants

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Apr 25, 2022.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I have a similar type of Coventry Halfpenny token with the date 1792, depicting Lady Godiva on the obverse and an Elephant and Castle on the reverse. See Withers/Dalton & Hamer 231; ill. Withers p. 345. There are apparently a number of different edge inscriptions; mine says "PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF ROBERT REYNOLDS & CO."

NEW COMBINED Lady Godiva - Elephant & Castle Coventry halfpenny token 1792.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Great coin and write-up, @DonnaML, congrats! I'll add an elephant from George III (Ceylon) to the thread
    upload_2022-4-27_19-41-43.png

and another centaur with writeup: Prusias II and the Roman Republic.
    upload_2022-4-27_19-40-2.png
    Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II Cynegos, reigned 182-149 BC, Nikomedia, Bronze Æ
    Obv: Draped bust of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠΡΟYΣIOY, the centaur Chiron standing right, cloak over shoulder, playing lyre, to lower right, monogram.
    Size: 22mm, 6.25g
    Ref: Lindgren 201 (Kings of Bithynia), BMC 10, CoinProject 246689; AMC 3026;

Spaniard, Orielensis, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Some computer program somewhere must be reading what I post here, because this article on the history of centaurs in ancient Greek art appeared in my Google News feed yesterday:

https://www.thecollector.com/centaur-in-greek-art/amp/

My favorite illustration is this early centaur from Lefkandi in Euboea, dating to approximately the 10th Century BCE -- according to this article, "the first complete example of a centaur." It's made of ceramic, and is 36 cm. high.

Lefkandi centaur 1000 BCE.jpg

Etcherman and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted