Roman Republican Coin No. 67: the Dioscuri, from L. Memmius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Feb 3, 2022.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

It's been quite a while since I've posted a new Republican coin with a write-up, but new types that I can afford in the condition I want are definitely growing scarce. I doubt I'll end up buying anywhere near enough this year to fill a top 10 list, as I did in both 2020 and 2021.

There really isn't much to say about this type; thus the short write-up (for me). It remains mysterious in certain respects. But even though I paid more for it than I had hoped (taking the buyer's premium, etc. into account), I happen to think the condition and eye appeal of the reverse are as nice as just about any example I've seen. It's rare to see both horses completely on the flan, and the Dioscuri with actual visible faces, as gigantic as their noses may be. Besides, if the coin was good enough for @Andrew McCabe to buy, it's good enough for me!

Roman Republic, L. Memmius, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 109-108 BCE. Obv. Male head to right (Apollo?), wearing oak wreath, star (*) [= monogrammed XVI; mark of value] beneath chin / Rev. The Dioscuri (Castor and Pollux), cloaked, with stars above their heads, standing facing between their horses, each holding a spear and the bridle of his horse, with each horse raising its outside front hoof; L•MEMMI in exergue. Crawford 304/1, RSC I Memmia 1 (ill. p. 65), Sear RCV I 181 (ill. p. 107), BMCRR II Italy 643, RBW Collection 1145 (ill. p. 237). 19 mm., 3.95 g. Purchased Jan. 6, 2022 at Roma Numismatics E-Sale 93, Lot 897. Ex. Andrew McCabe Collection; ex. Numismatica Ars Classica AG, Auction 7, 27 May 2014, Lot 1944; ex. Aureo & Calico, Auction 159, 3 March 2004, Lot 1056.*

Memmius denarius (Apollo-Diocsuri with horses) (Roma 1.6.21).jpg

*Crawford says little about this issue, stating only (see Crawford I p. 315) that the moneyer “may be identified with L. Memmius, who visited Egypt as a Senator in 112,” that the obverse type “remains unexplained” (but resembles the head of Apollo on Crawford 350A, including in wearing an oak-wreath rather than a laurel wreath), and that the representation of the Dioscuri -- dismounted and standing next to their horses rather than mounted and galloping in the same direction with couched lances, their traditional portrayal on Roman Republican coins, especially during the 2nd Century BCE – is “unusual.” For detailed discussions of the Dioscuri in mythology, in their role as protectors of the Roman people as a result of their miraculous intervention on the Roman side at the battle of Lake Regillus, and as frequently depicted on Roman Republican coins (albeit rarely on Roman Imperial coins), see, e.g., https://www.ostia-antica.org/dict/topics/mint/mint04.htm#:~:text=The Dioscuri were known to,against the Latins in c; https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Dioscuri:

“[T]he worship of the Dioscuri, as divinities, had its origin at Rome, from the victory which the consul Postumius gained, near the lake Regillus, over the Latins and the sons of Tarquinius Superbus (B.C. 493 or 496). It was said that, after that engagement, the Dioscuri appeared in the forum of Rome, wearing conical bonnets, over each of which was a star. They stood resting upon their lances, beside their horses, which were drinking at a fountain. These twin heroes disappeared as soon as they had announced the news of the battle, at a moment when, on account of the distance from the scene of the slaughter, no one could have as yet become acquainted with the event. It is also related that, during the action, two young men, mounted on two white horses, were seen fighting valiantly for the Romans. . . .

The Dioscuri most frequently appear, on coins of the Roman Republic, as horsemen galloping, with couched lances, and stars above their pilei. . . . In the imperial series, this type (which was meant to denote brotherly concord), is of rare occurrence.”

It has been suggested that the portrayal of the Dioscuri on the reverse of this coin may be based on an ancient statuary group similar to the pair of statues unearthed in 1561, located at the Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome since 1583:

castor-and-pollux-piazza-del-campidoglio-rome_orig.jpg

See https://www.walksinrome.com/uploads...d-pollux-piazza-del-campidoglio-rome_orig.jpg. It's rather clear that the Heavenly Twins originally held spears or lances. And, if taken together, the pair of statues certainly resembles the reverse of the L. Memmius denarius:

Screenshot 2022-02-03 172106  Castor & Pollux.png

Please post your own favorite coins portraying the Dioscuri, Roman Republican or otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Fugio1, Amit Vyas, eparch and 35 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Absolutely lovely! The centering and detail on the reverse is exceptionally good for the issue. You've got a great eye, Donna!

4. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@DonnaML......What a beautiful coin!!....Looks to have nice toning and as John said 'super ' reverse detail with full exergue legend....I love the portrait too with a great facial profile and what a wonderful little Adams apple! Very nice Oak leaf wreath too! ......Sweet coin!....Congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection...
    Paul

Roman Collector and DonnaML like this.
  5. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

@DonnaML - Love the detail on the Dioscuri reverse! I have 2 Imperatorial coins with the Dioscuri-

ED1ACD04-9AA9-4EE0-AB01-2DD8B49FBB33.jpeg
    F93DB366-4E76-496A-818F-7515382E3CC3.jpeg
    Mn Cordius Rufus
    46 BC

2CD0FC4C-D1DF-4D0A-AC66-34FFDCD3F046.jpeg
    D79E770F-2091-4FC1-A1A0-FFE4C013DA5D.jpeg
    L Servius Rufus
    (Brutus?)
    41 BC

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i still just have one with the Dioscuri boys and that's my Dogo coin...(old pics from the old camera still on the card^^) IMG_6477.JPG IMG_6474.JPG C Antestius 146BC, 18mm 3.82gms. ref. Sydenham 406

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

What a great coin, Donna. Congrats!

I really like the two posted by @jdmKY too. I also have Cordius Rufus, but in lesser quality.
    My favorite coin with the Discouri is probably this one, as it feels a bit significant, being the first (?) denarius type:

IMG_0382 2.JPG

Roman Republic

Denarius, Anonymous

Date: 211 B.C.

Mint: Rome

Obverse: X: Helmeted head of Roma, right; behind, denominational mark. Border of dots.

Reverse: ROMA: Dioscuri galloping, right; in linear frame, inscription. Line border.

Reference : RRC 053/2 X20

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning coin with another fantastic provenance :artist::bookworm:
    Big coingrats Donna!
    Best I can offer is a coin from the same time period and some Dioscuri:
    IMG_0273(1).PNG
    L.Valerius,Flacci
    Denarius 108 or 107, AR 3.97 g. Draped bust of Victory r.; below chin, Ú. Rev. L•VALERI / FLACCI Mars walking l., holding spear and trophy over l. shoulder; before, apex and behind, corn ear. Babelon Valeria 11. Sydenham 565. Crawford 306/1.
    IMG_0754(1).PNG IMG_0638(1).PNG

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't have any Roman Republican coins so I hope an Imperial coin featuring the twins is ok:

Maxentius, Follis, AETERNITAS AVG N, MOST-.png
    Maxentius
    309-312 AD
    AE follis
    Ostia
    Obverse: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate head right
    Reverse: AETERNITAS AVG N, the Dioscuri Castor and Pollux standing facing each other, each holding sceptre and holding a horse by the bridle
    Mintmark MOST-

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Donna, That's a handsome example of a R.R. denarius, especially the reverse depiction of the Dioscuri :happy:. Last year I scored a Tet of Caracalla from Ace-Ptolemais, that used the caps of the Dioscuri as a mintmark.
    Caracalla, AD 215-217. Prieur 1225 (2).jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

L MEMMIUS.jpg
    L MEMMIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS MEMMIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Young male head (Apollo?) right, wearing oak-wreath; before, mark of value
    REVERSE: Dioscuri standing facing between their horses, each holding spear; L MEMMI in ex.
    Struck at Rome 109-108 BC
    3.86g, 19.05mm
    Syd 558; Cr304/1; Memmia 1

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Of course it's OK -- Imperial certainly counts as "Roman Republican or otherwise"! Besides, it's an important coin as a rare example of the Dioscuri portrayed on Imperial coinage, and it's particularly interesting that it comes from Ostia Antica. See one of the links I posted above, at https://www.ostia-antica.org/dict/topics/mint/mint04.htm#:~:text=The Dioscuri were known to,against the Latins in c:

"The Dioscuri first appeared on Republican coins in 225 BC and were used frequently down to 46 BC. Apart from the coins minted at Ostia by Maxentius, images of the Dioscuri were rarely used during the Empire, although they do make a final appearance on the 500 lire coins minted from 1951 to 2001 AD where they can be seen in front of the Quirinal Palace. . . . A large temple was built in the Roman Forum to commemorate events at Lake Regillus and the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Ostia has recently been identified by Michael Heinzelmann and Archer Martin in the area west of the Imperial Palace. An inscription tells of its restoration in the 2nd century AD by P. Lucilius Gamala and another record describes it as being situated on the 'right side of the river'. Bearing all this in mind, together with the desire of Maxentius to return to the classical times, it is not surprising that the Dioscuri feature on the coins produced at the Ostia mint."

13. furryfrog02

That's a great little article! I just figured that I hadn't seen many other Imperial coins with Castor and Pollux since I just haven't seen THAT many different coins.
    I like my follis. It cost a whopping $13 and is the only Maxentius that I have. I am a bit bummed about the hard encrustations. I don't want to mess with them though, and risk damaging the coin further.

DonnaML likes this.
  14. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

DonnaML likes this.
  15. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Great acquisition.
    I don't have any Roman coins depicting Dioscuri.

But I have 2 non-Roman.
    upload_2022-2-4_9-56-40.png

Macedon. Thessalonica circa 187-131 BC.
    Bronze Æ 20 mm., 5,19 g.

Head of Janus R/ ΘEΣΣAΛONIKHΣ, the Dioscuri riding in opposite directions. SNG Cop 369

And my favorite, where some theories say that the obverse represents the Dioscuri (generally accepted) and few theories state that the obverse meaning would be the two faces of Danube.

upload_2022-2-4_9-56-5.png

Moesia. Istrus circa 280 - 256/255 BC
    Obol or Trihemiobol AR 12 mm, 0,77 g
    Facing male heads, the left one inverted / IΣTΡIH, Sea-eagle left on dolphin, ΔI beneath dolphin.
    Dima, Tabelul III, Grupa IV, Subgrupa VII, II – Pl XXI, 10

Edessa, Bing, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great coin and writeup. While reading it I was considering posting a coin of Maxentius featuring the Dioscuri on reverse and then, scrolling down, saw that FF had posted one already. Is it OK to have another one posted ?

[​IMG]
    Maxentius, Follis - Ostia mint, 3rd officina AD 309
    IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, Laureate head of Maxentius right
    AET ERNITAS AVGN, Dioscuri facing each other, holding their horse by bridle. Between them she wolf suckling Remus and Romulus. MOSTΓ at exergue
    7.43 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 10, RCV # 14976 (100), RIC VI # 16

Q

Theodosius, Edessa, svessien and 9 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful example of a type I don't have yet, Donna. The centering of the reverse, as you pointed out, is fantastic!

Dioscuri on two provincials...

Antoninus Pius - Drachm Sarapis Dioskouroi 2669.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 23.36g, 34.1mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 2 (AD 138/9). RPC Online Temp #14776 (6 spec.); Emmett 1652 (R5); Geissen 1299 . O: ΑVΤ Κ Τ ΑΙΛ ΑΔΡ ΑΝΤωΝΙΝΟС ƐVСƐΒ, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: L Β, draped bust of Sarapis wearing kalathos, facing front; on either side, the Dioskuroi, each crowned with star, standing, facing, heads turned towards bust, holding spears and whips.
    Notes: Extremely rare type; unique to Antoninus Pius, and only struck in this year.

Maximus - Tomis - Dioscuri.jpg MAXIMUS
    AE29. 9.54g, 29.1mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Tomis, circa AD 235-238. Varbanov 5513 (R4). O: Γ IOYΛ OYHP MAΞIMOC KAIC ΓEP, barehead, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: MHTPO ΠONTOY TOMEΩC, Dioskuroi reclining left, side by side, heads facing, right one holding patera, left one resting on rock; each with star above forehead; ∆ in left field.

Edessa, svessien, Bing and 8 others like this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

RR Dioscuri

[​IMG]
    M. Atilius Saranus, Denarius - Rome mint, 148 BCE
    Helmeted head of Rome right, SARAN downwards behind, X below chin
    Dioscurs riding right, M.ATILI in field, ROMA at exergue
    3.66 gr
    Ref : RCV # 92, RSC, Atilia # 8v.

Q

Spaniard, Edessa, svessien and 7 others like this.
  19. furryfrog02

Absolutely! Yours is a much better example! Thanks for sharing!

DonnaML and Cucumbor like this.
  20. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Great coin and write-up, @DonnaML . ex-McCabe coins are usually worth the premium.

Here is a fourree of the type.
    HH01-m2.jpg
    L. MEMMIUS. Denarius (109-108 BC). Rome. Fourree, 18mm (3.20g)
    Holding History auctions via Agora Auctions, January 2016, Lot 01-082.

Spaniard, Edessa, Bing and 5 others like this.
  21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Donna congrats , best Memmius I ever seen. same goes for the jdmKY coin.

P1160694nn (7).jpg P1160694nn (9).jpg

Spaniard, Edessa, jdmKY and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted