Roman Republican coin hoards, analysis at academia.edu

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Jul 22, 2017.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I am reading a recent paper at academia.edu titled "Mind the Gap! Roman Republican coin hoards from Italy and Iberia at the end of the second century BC" by Kris Lockyear

The abstract reads
    Abstract:
    This is a draft of a paper that I have been working on for quite some time. I have tried to make the statistics as comprehensible as possible. It examines a curious pattern in the sequence of Roman Republican hoards from Iberia and Italy at the end of the second century BC.

https://www.academia.edu/33645680/M...ntury_BC?auto=download&campaign=weekly_digest

I am wondering if anyone here has read thru it. It only has 118 views, but I thought some of those views may come from some of the members here.

While pretty technical at times (statistical analysis) it does demonstrate the type of thought and work people put into the subject of ancient numismatics... and I find it encouraging.

Also some very interesting info within.

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Nerva and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for the link but it was a little too much for me this morning. I'll click on the link again later.:)

4. 4to2centBC

5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@4to2centBC thanks for posting. I have not read this one. It looks interesting, and needs a lot of coffee.
    I read much of a book by Kris Lockyear when I started building my book collection on Roman Republican coins. The library at Rice U had a thin, red paperback book -
    Patterns and Process in Late Roman Republican Coin Hoards, 157-2 BC
    by Kris Lockyear. I checked it out thinking I could breeze through it. I was wrong!!!!!!!! The book is interesting and takes hoard analysis to another level. Kris has published often on the subject of RR coins. You can find that book here -
    https://www.academia.edu/630046/Patterns_and_process_in_late_Roman_Republican_coin_hoards_157-2_BC

I have read several books whose authors have excellent reasons to re-date the RR coin series proposed by Crawford. I decided to go with Crawford's dating for my collection. I find it easy to pick up the book and place my new coin in date order. Unfortunately Crawford covers only part my latest collecting area, cast bronze.

FYI - I still use the out of date engineering units I learned in school. I have a feel for heat transfer in BTU per hour - square foot - degree Fahrenheit. If you give me watts per square meter - degree kelvin, I am lost until the units are converted.

randygeki likes this.
  6. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Yes, I have a copy of it but haven't read it yet. Just skimmed. Thanks for bringing up on the board.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. The first article looks a liiiiittttle bit dry for me. I'd be interested in the Carthago Cliff Notes version though :D.

The second article linked ("Dating coins, dating with coins")... now that has great comedic potential in addition to numismatic value :D

Nerva and Carthago like this.
  8. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

It's really dry for me too, thus why I haven't read it yet. But I sense it's important so it's in my queue someday.

rrdenarius likes this.
  9. 4to2centBC

The conclusions are

"In this paper I have conclusively demonstrated that ‘the gap’ exists, and is also reflected in the pattern of supply of coinage. Although the precise dating of ‘the gap’ remains uncertain, it is not a product of the dating schemes used. The interpretation of the pattern, however, remains much more speculative and open to other possible explanations. In achieving these results, I have also demonstrated the strength and applicability of multivariate statistical analysis to coin data."

and it is dry, but it seems to merit review. I just finished it....between distractions.

10. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

My download didn't include the figures, which seem important for assessing the stats. V interesting article, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted