Roman Republican Anonymous Symbol Denarii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I'm hanging out drinking some wine and grooving on my latest prawn denarius and thought I'd share some of my cooler anonymous symbol denarii.

Several of the earlier Roman Republican anonymous issues of denarii and supporting fractional coinage shared a certain symbol theme which is very interesting to collect. I primarily only collect Republican silver and have only really scratched the surface of the symbols as there are quite a few.

Here's my prawn. Really with the size of that thing, I call it a sea monster.

Anonymous Prawn Series Denarius AR circa 179-170 ( ), Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, X. Rev. Luna in prancing biga r.; below horses, prawn and ROMA in linear frame. Sydenham 343; Crawford 156/1; FFC 79 (this coin)

Numismatik Lanz Auction 88, Leo Benz Collection, November 23, 1998, Lot 83

Anonymous Denarius Prawn 156-1 Aureo 2018.jpg

Anonymous. 206-195 BC. AR Denarius (3.93g, 18.2mm, 4h ). Rome mint. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet, ornamented with griffin's head, the visor in three pieces, single-drop earring, and necklace; X (mark of value) to left / The Dioscuri on horseback riding right, each holding couched spear, and wearing chlamys, cuirass, and pileus, surmounted by star; below horses, boar right; ROMA on tablet in exergue. Crawford 121/2; Sydenham 252; RSC 20r; Kestner 289-327; BMCRR Italy 479; RBW 555.

Sternberg VII 24 November 24, 1977 lot 256

Anonymous Denarius Sow 121-2 CNG 2017.jpg

Anonymous Denarius Central Italy circa 211-208, AR (4.48g, 20.8mm, 12h). Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, X. Rev. The Dioscuri galloping r.; behind, Victory with wreath. In exergue, ROMA. Sydenham 147. Crawford 61/1.

Bruder Egger Auction 45 November 12, 1913, Lot 856

Anonymous Denarius Victory Dioscouri rev 61-1 Naville 2017.jpg

Feel free to join the symbol fun by sharing your examples.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice @Carthago ! Hmmm... not a prawn, rather a Tiger Shrimp from The Bay of Thailand at a restaurant in Bankok! Washed down with an ice cold Singha! Major YUM!

STAR
    upload_2019-2-2_22-17-33.png
    RR Anon 211-206 BCE Victoriatus STAR Rare Sear 49 Syd 233a Craw 105-1
    (yeah, well, whatever - it is called a "filled-in pentagram", hmm... me? Itsa STAR)

PIG
    upload_2019-2-2_22-19-16.png
    RR Victoriatus 206-195 BCE AR 16-5mm 2-61g Jupiter r Victory crowning trophy sow r in ex ROMA Syd 253 Russo RBW 554 Cr 121-1

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

All are very nice but the sow denarius is fantastic! Here are a few of my related coins including a related "victory" uncia(note the same obverse style as your "victory" denarius):
    Cr061.7-1200.jpg
    Roman Republic Æ Uncia(5.10g, 20mm), anonymous("Victory" series), 211-208 B.C., Central Italian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right. Behind, • / Prow right; above, Victory flying right with wreath and ROMA; below •. Crawford 61/7

A "Crescent" series denarius:
    Cr57.2Combined-Reshoot-1200.JPG
    Roman Republic AR Denarius(19.9mm, 3.87g, 5h). Anonymous("Crescent" series). Circa 207 B.C. Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, X. Border of dots / Dioscuri galloping right; above, crescent; in linear frame, ROMA. Line border. Crawford 57/2; Sydenham 265
    Ex. RBW Collection, Agora 53, 4/5/2016, lot 145, Ex. Paul Vecchi, 12/10/1988

A corn-ear quinarius. There is a matching denarius but it's far more rare and expensive than the quinarius.
    Cr072.4-1200px.jpg
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(15mm, 2.05g, 11h). Anonymous, wheat-ear/corn-ear series, ca. 211-210 B.C. Sicilian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / The Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; grain-ear/corn-ear below; in linear frame, ROMA. Crawford 72/4; Sydenham 194
    Ex RBW Collection, Agora 73, 3/27/2018, lot 206, privately purchased from Dmitry Markov, 9/9/1994

5. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

All very nice anonymous denarii!
    Here is one with a griffin:
    169-158 BC - Roman Republic. Anonymous AR Denarius / Griffin
    O: Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet, X (mark of value) behind
    Rx: The Dioscuri on horseback galloping right with spears forward, griffin below; ROMA in exergue
    Size: 19.93 mm, Wt: 3.83 grams

AnonDenarRomaGrifO339.jpg AnonDenarRomaGrifR339.jpg

zumbly, randygeki, Nathan401 and 15 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Those are all gorgeous coins, @Carthago, as we've come to expect from you! :)

Here's a sea anenome as control symbol; fittingly, since the Poseidon's wife is on the obverse:

[​IMG]
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    Moneyer Q. Crepereius M.f. Rocus

69 BCE (revised from Crawford's 72 BCE)
    AR serrate denarius; 3.99 gm
    Obv: draped bust of Amphitrite seen from behind, with head turned r.; behind, sea anemone; horizontal I to right of right shoulder (only partly visible on this coin)
    Rev: Neptune in biga of hippocamps right, holding reins and brandishing trident; above, I and below, Q·CREPER·M·F / ROCVS
    Ref: Crawford 399/1b; Babelon Crepereia 1. Sydenham 796a. Rare.
    from HJB BBS 200, October 2016
    ex NAC 78 lot 1828, from the JD Collection of Roman Republican Coins

7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Carthago, Thanks for starting this thread. I think we have some very common collecting interests. Your Prawn and Sow examples are exceptional. the Sow series is very rare in all grades, but yours must be among the finest known.

I don't have a Prawn, but I have a close cousin in the Bird/Tod series in a clever symbol/monogram combination:
    RRC 141/1, 3.72 gm. Head of Roma/Luna in biga, below, TOD and bird symbol. CNG Electronic sale 364 lot 103. Ex. RBW, Ex Peus 322, 11/1/88, lot 56.
    141-1.jpg

I don't have an RRC 121/2 Sow, but I have an RRC next door neighbor "dog" symbol:
    RRC 122/2,
    Dioscuri riding r. ROMA in raised letters in and framed border in exergue. Dog symbol below and in front of horses.
    Ex Goodman collection, CNG 43, Sept 24, 1997, lot 1405
    122-2-CNG43-Lot-1405.jpg

I don't have an early Victory symbol example, RRC 61/1 but here's another RRC next door neighbor. One of the rarer symbols I have is the early Rostrum Tridens
    RRC 62/1 Rostrum-Tridens. 4.63 gm. Titano electronic auction M10, 14 December, 2017.
    62-1-Titano-Dec-2017-4.63gm.jpg

8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Nice, but I’m not sure they can compete with mine.
    055F886F-EDF1-4BAA-A9FC-D66918942483.jpeg

9. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I've habitually delayed focus on early symbol denarii in my Roman Republican collecting to such an extent that it is now a glaring deficiency in my collection. I always think, "I'll get to them some day." In fact, I only acquired my first early symbol denarius last month. I was pleased with the coin, and then I was positively thrilled when I serendipitously found it in an old catalogue (while looking for something else, of course).

IMG-20190114-WA0021.jpg

Rome. The Republic.
    Anonymous Prawn Series, 179-169 BCE.
    AR Denarius (3.87g).
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, X. Rev. Luna in biga r.; below horses, prawn; in exergue, ROMA in linear frame.
    References: Sydenham 343; Crawford 156/1; BMCRR 585.
    Provenance: Ex Frederick S. Knobloch Collection [Stack's, 3-4 May 1978, Lot 97].

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  10. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Some lovely coins from all. I'm yet to acquire any anonymous symbol silver yet so I'll give you this extremely rare late 2nd century BC AS. I prefer to go with Mark Passehls attribution on these placing the bronze series at a Sardinian mint ca 103 BC for local circulation there, may explain why the series is so extremely rare, anyways, the symbol here is a palm branch, sadly it isn't that visible on mine so I'm including a picture with one visible from the British Museums specimen.

C. Sulpicius. 103 BC. AE AS (30mm, 32.68g). Unknown Sardinian mint.

Obverse: Laureate head of Janus, mark of value above.

Reverse: Prow right, above C·SVLPI, palm-branch in front and below; ROMA.

Reference: Crawford 312/2.

[​IMG]

upload_2019-2-3_20-20-52.png

11. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I have to say, I'm a bit envious of these two coins. The reverse prawn and pig, respectively, are about the two coolest what-the-heck? images I've ever seen on an ancient coin. They're exceptionally well rendered for the size of these coins.

rrdenarius and Carthago like this.
  12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Here are a few symbols that haven't been posted yet.

Phil Davis

Phil (13).JPG Phil (18).JPG Phil (22).JPG Phil (23).JPG Phil (34).JPG

13. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Phil, These are fabulous examples. The upright spearhead denarius is just downright inspirational. I've seen these on Andrew McCabe's Flickr album of your collection but each time I look at your specimens, they look better.

red_spork and Volodya like this.
  14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great RR coins!
    I have a few:
    anon as anchor symbol DrBP 11.18.17.JPG
    anchor - one of my favorite symbols

DSCN0059 staff.JPG DSCN0060 staff.JPG
    the staff on this one is on the obv

DSCN0057 star.JPG DSCN0058 star.JPG
    star

DSCN0169.JPG
    this plumb bob is die symbol and one of my favorites

L.PRO.FAB girl with snake scale mark Kunker 9.21.18.jpg
    I like this die pair symbol set, scale and scale box!

15. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

As the saying the cloth trade went, "Never mind the quality, feel the width!" - I've got a good few anonymous RR coins with symbols in variable, usually bad, condition. These are the ones on denarii...

Rostrum prow - Cr. 114/1:
    [​IMG]

Crescent - 57/2:
    [​IMG]

Dolphin - 80/1a:
    [​IMG]

Spearhead - 88/2b:
    [​IMG]

Club - 89/2:
    [​IMG]one

Staff - 106/3c:
    [​IMG]

Knife - 109/1:
    [​IMG]

Wreath - 110/1a:
    [​IMG]

Star - 113/1:
    [​IMG]

Butting Bull - 116/1b:
    [​IMG]

Rudder - 117A/1:
    [​IMG]

Female Head - 127/1:
    [​IMG]

Owl - 135/1:
    [​IMG]

TOD - big fourée bird - cf. 141/1:
    [​IMG]

TOD - small wren-like solid silver bird - 141/1:
    [​IMG]

Prawn - 156/1:
    [​IMG]

Fly - 159/2:
    [​IMG]

Feather - 163/1:
    [​IMG]

Griffin - 182/1:
    [​IMG]

I have a few more (I saw cornucopiae and pentagram denarii over the weekend in a box), but no more photos.

ATB,
    Aidan.

16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic prawn. I've often sought out sea iconography on coins, mostly for the novelty and stark contrast to a very serious depiction of a god. I only have one comparable crayfish, conventionally assumed to be used because of the importance of water to the economy. I like to think it was there just because the engraver knew he could sneak in a crayfish where everyone would be expecting a dolphin:

Katana.jpg

Carthago, Alegandron, Fugio1 and 9 others like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

18. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Whoops - it's been pointed out that my "knife" symbol denarius above is from the second issue - 120/2, not 109/1. And indeed, the style is right for the second issue and the reverse border is a line rather than dotted.

I found the pentagram (second issue) pic - 129/1:
    [​IMG]

It looks a bit odd, so I must dig this up and look at it (and weigh it, the auction listing had it at 4.62g) - https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=2808&category=58305&lot=2363649

ATB,
    Aidan.

19. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

A few more symbols still missing from this thread. The list here still isn't quite complete, but it's getting there.

Phil (20).JPG Phil (21).JPG Phil (35).JPG Phil (39).JPG

Carthago, rrdenarius, Bing and 6 others like this.
  20. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

One more from my collection, Apex and Hammer:
    RRC 59/1b
    Reverse:
    Dioscuri riding r. ROMA in raised letters in frame. Above, Apex and hammer
    Weight: 4.15 gm
    Provenance: NAC 78 lot 374

59-1-Axial.jpg

rrdenarius, Carthago, Bing and 7 others like this.
  21. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Completely forgot I recently picked up a nice Anonymous Fly series denarius from the McCabe collection.

[​IMG]

Anonymous. 179-170 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.85 g, 5h). Fly series. Rome mint.

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right; X (mark of value) to left.

Reverse: Luna in prancing biga right; below, fly and ROMA in exergue.

Reference: Crawford 159/2

Provenance: CNG Electronic auction 432 (14 November 2018) lot 226, from the Andrew McCabe Collection, purchased from Germania Inferior in 2015. Ex Bertolami fine arts, Auction 15 (27 April 2015), lot 255.

rrdenarius, Carthago, Bing and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted