Roman Republic, Roma and Victory

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by expat, Jun 21, 2024.

1. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Today I received my tenth Republican coin. Reverse just teeming with action.
    T Cloelius AR Denarius. 128 BC.
    ROMA, head of Roma right, wearing a winged helmet, laurel wreath behind / Victory in biga right, horses rearing; grain ear below, T CLOVLI in ex.
    Cloulia 1, Crawford 260/1; Syd 516. 19 mm, 3,83 g
    Cloeli-removebg-preview.png Post yours or similar

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I hope that chariot had good brakes

sand likes this.
  4. expat

At least Victory can fly away if it starts to crash

sand and GinoLR like this.
  5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

upload_2024-6-21_18-55-25.png

Caius Cassius, moneyer in 126 BC. Denarius, Rome, AR 18 mm, 3.78 g
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Roma right, in left field X with transverse bar (monogram for XVI), voting urn
    Rev.: C·CASSI / ROMA, Libertas in quadriga, right, holding reins and rod (vindicta) in left hand and pileus in right hand

The gens Cassia was always devoted to the defence of Libertas. The voting urn on obverse is an allusion to the Lex Cassia Tabellaria passed 11 years before in 137 BC by L. Cassius Longinus Ravilla, plebeian tribune and probably father of the young money magistrate. This law instated the secret vote by casting a tablet in an urn in judicial assemblies. This was done for the liberty of the jurors...
    The reverse represents the goddess Libertas, Liberty. She is holding a long vindicta, a rod with which slaves were symbolically touched to be declared free, and a pileus, the cap of freedmen (I don't know if freedwomen had to wear it too). The same symbols can be found in the late 18th c. on early US coins celebrating Liberty.
    upload_2024-6-21_19-0-44.jpeg
    (not my American half-cent)

This Roman denarius may be the first coin ever showing Liberty. On Roman republican and imperial coinage Libertas is always seen holding the pileus, as if she was about to place it on some freed slave's head. On late 18th c. American and French allegorical images, this pileus was assimilated with a Phrygian cap and Liberty started wearing it herself instead of just holding it. Today in France the €uro coins still represent Liberty wearing her Phrygian liberty cap, she is colloquially nicknamed "Marianne".
    upload_2024-6-21_19-9-25.png

GarrettB, sand, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  6. GarrettB

GarrettB Well-Known Member

A lovely coin with a dynamic reverse! I don't have one, but I'll attach my first republican coin (purchased at London Coinex I think). It also has some action in the form of a rearing or 'springing' panther.

Vibius varus 4.jpg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is a T Cloelius Quinarius from 98 BCE.

upload_2024-6-22_19-55-7.png
    SEAR 212:
    Laur. hd. of Jupiter r, control letter behind before or below (F)
    Rev: Victory stg r crowning trophy at foot of which is seated captive and carnyx.
    T CLOVLI (L in mongram) between, Q in ex
    RRC 332/1 CRR 586-586b, RSC Cloulia 2-2b; Sear 212
    Cloelius, a known partisan of the Marian faction, strikes as quaestor and celebrates Marius' victories

expat, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  8. expat

Nice seated captive reverse. My T Cloelius is commonly believed to be the Father of your T Cloelius who started minting coins in 98 BC.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. I was too lazy to chase down their relationship, but knew that they had to be generational family ties.

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted