Roman Republic Janus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, May 1, 2016.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I don't collect Roman Republic coins generally, but I felt my collection (which is mostly the portrait series of emperors) needed one coin to represent the republic. I think the most interesting RR piece is the Janus/galley as, so I went and got one:

image.jpeg
    Anonymous Æ As. Rome, after 211 BC. Laureate head of Janus; I above / Prow of galley right; I above, ROMA in exergue. Crawford 56/2; Sydenham 143. 27.56g, 34mm, 6h

I like that the head of Janus is very clear and there's a nice patina. The coin isn't perfect but it has character. Mind you, i'm always nervous about posting new aquisitions, someone might make me realise how foolish I've been!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a great coin, Greg! These are hard to get a clear featured look. Usually one side is good, with the prow difficult to see. Yours is very nice! Congrats!

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    GregH likes this.
  4. Alegandron

upload_2016-5-1_20-24-40.png
    upload_2016-5-1_20-25-6.png
    Roman Republic
    Anonymous
    AE As, 211 BCE
    42.26g
    Rome Mint

5. Alegandron

This one is from Sextus Pompey, honoring his father Pompey the Great
    upload_2016-5-1_20-27-36.png
    upload_2016-5-1_20-27-59.png
    Roman Republic
    Sextus Pompey
    AE As, 42-38 BCE
    Rome Mint
    Sear 1394

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is really nice Greg, congrats!

GregH likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great coin! IMHO, the only foolish thing here would be if you just stopped one RR coin.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nothing foolish about that coin at all! The bust is quite splendid. These are all rough and crusty to some degree, even the best of them. It's part of their charm. Here's one I recently traded, from RBW...

as 6.jpg

9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Ah but that opens a whole can of worms. I've already decided I won't stop the Roman portrait series at 476AD, and continue with the Byzantine series until 1453. I might add a few imperatorial portraits (Marc Antony, JC, Brutus) if i can find them.

Cucumbor, Pishpash, Carthago and 3 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

now that would be cool!

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sextus Pempey 1a.jpg
    SEXTUS POMPEY; GENS POMPEIA
    AE As
    OBVERSE: MAGN above laureate janiform head with features of Pompey the Great
    REVERSE: PIVS above, IMP below, prow of galley right
    Sicilian 43-36 BC
    22.8g, 31mm
    Syd 1044a, Cr479/1, Pompeia 20v, Cohen 16

Marsyas Mike, Andres2, TJC and 12 others like this.
  12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

The prow on yours is awesome!

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks. Just wish the obverse was as good.

14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Some of us like worms! Snake biga FORVM.jpg
    PS - not at home, so borrowed this pic from FORVM.
    My favorite struck bronze is a low grade Forato, pictured below with Mt Forato.
    anonasobv.jpg anonasrev.jpg 280px-Monte_Forato_1.jpg

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another nice bust greg!

this was the first one i wanted to represent the rebulican AEs in my little collection...not the first one i got, but the first one i wanted.

feels great in hand doesn't it?

here's mine...

[​IMG]

Roman Republic, c. 169 - 158 BC, bronze as of A. CAE
    Obverse: Laureate bust of Janus. Reverse: ROMA|I|A.CAE, prow r. Reference: Crawford 174/1. Ex. RBW, purchased from R. Schaefer 12/10/1993; 33 mm, 31.7g

16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone should ever be made to feel bad over what coins they buy (among other things in life). Been "called out" a couple of times because my coins weren't up to someone's lofty standards (one was simply "too ugly" for someone, and the other person found out the price I paid for my coin- actually a reasonable cost for the type- and acted all superior saying they'd never pay that much for a coin like it). They failed to make me believe I was being "foolish" or anything like that, but I still felt offended.

I apologize if this comes off as rant-like, but I felt compelled to address this issue. If one feels someone paid too much for a coin, or did an honest mistake like clean a coin too harshly for example, educate them or nicely disagree, don't put them down. If you have nothing respectful and/or helpful to say at all, well, there's the door, goodbye.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Smeag => congrats on scoring that sweet big fat As!! (it's hot!!)

:rolleyes:

GregH likes this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You've done very well Greg, that Janus is awesome. I would give him a home anyday !

[​IMG]
    Republic, As minted in Rome, circa 211-206 BC
    No legend, head of janus
    Prow of galley right, ROMA at exergue, I above galley
    37.22 gr
    Ref RCV # 627

[​IMG]
    D. Junius L.F. Silanus, As As minted in Rome, 91 BC
    No legend, Head of Janus
    D SILANVS L F, Prow of galley right
    12.08 gr
    Ref : RCV # 738

The following comment from : http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/historia.htm

"Decimus Junius Silanus was the son of M. Junius Silanus, who commanded the army that was defeated by the Germanic Cimbri in Transalpine Gaul.
    Decimus was the stepfather of Marcus Brutus, the murderer of Caesar, having married his mother Servilia. He was elected consul in 63 for the following year ; and in consequence of his being consul designatus, he was first asked for his opinion by Cicero in the debate in the senate on the punishment of the Catilinarian conspirators. He was consul 62, with L. Licinius Morena, along with whom he proposed the Lex Licinia Julia".

[​IMG]
    Sextus Pompey, As struck in Sicily c.43-36 BC
    Head of Janus with features of Pompey the Great, MAGN above
    Prow of galley right, PIVS IMP in field
    16.57 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 336, RCV #1394, Cohen #16

Q

19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yours are awesome. My favourite of the above is the D Junius Silanus. It's very hard to find this type in a decent shape, but you've got three which are more than decent.

Cucumbor likes this.
  20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I agree with the posts---I think the OP and all the posted coins are terrific and @ValiantKnight expressed his 'rant' precisely as I would have...

My only successful bid/purchase of a 'Janiform' type---An As of Pompey the Great: Pompey the great, jani-form AS.jpg

21. Alegandron

Wow, Pompey's portraits and busts always made him look like a gentle, kind, open-faced man. This is the first portrait that I have seen that makes him look angry! (Right facing Januform) RARE FIND Mr. Mikey! Cool!

GregH and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted