Roman Republic Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Weston, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

I've gathered some information on this coin in that it is a Roman Denarius but other than that I am unsure of the variety/value of this piece. Any info would be awesome! Sorry for the poor quality image, hope it at least gives the gist of what I've got. FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg

chrsmat71, stevex6, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

What you've got is a denarius of M. Cipius from 115/114 B.C. The obverse is Roma, the reverse Victory in a biga with a rudder below. Yours is a bit off center so the rudder and the text is barely visible but here is what it looks like with more detail on the flan: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=973116

Alegandron, zumbly, Pishpash and 2 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I love RR coins, and this one no less than all the others.

red_spork likes this.
  5. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

To be honest I went out on a limb picking it up today. I don't have any experience with ancients but it was in a box of silver. Didn't get it for nothing, but what do you think something like this is worth?

6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Unfortunately its value is fairly low as it is one of the most common Republican denarii and is very worn and off-center enough to lose a significant portion of the design. I'd put its value in the $25-$50 USD range.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The question of value of a coin like this has little meaning. Relatively few collectors of RR denarii have any interest in coins this low grade. A few, myself included, do buy lower grade coins but when we do we try for coins with clear but worn details or at least something going for the coin. Lacking the legend, lacking pleasant surfaces and lacking particular interest in the type make the market for the coin mostly people who are impressed with anything that old or who are aware but not deeply into the Roman Republic. I told you I buy junk. This is my Cipius.
    ra2260bb0385.jpg
    It will point out the details your coin would be better off it they remained. Mine cost $25 but it has a dirty little secret being fourree or a silver plated, copper cored ancient forgery which lowers its appeal greatly. I believe yours is solid (not fourree) and official but has nothing to offer beyond that. Would someone pay the $25 level? I would not. The reason I said the question of price is meaningless is that you have to find someone who wants a coin of that style and grade and is willing to pay the price. red-spork summed up problems but quoted numbers several time what I would expect. The coin is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Where will you find that buyer?

chrsmat71, stevex6, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

This is a common RR denarius -> low price. Probably should have been in a junk box at $10 - $40.
    On the plus side, the coin has a great story:
    From an earlier post -
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This moneyer has been identified as the "Snorer". He was called "the snorer' because he pretended to be asleep in order to facilitate his wife's acts of adultery. He did this when he threw parties for important men whose favors he sought. The story can be found in Lucilius. Cipius feigned sleep to avoid having to acknowledge certain actions of his wife. When a slave stole wine while Cipius was "sleeping," Cipius said 'non omnibus dormio.' (I do not feign sleep for all)
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/rsc/cipia/cipia1.4.txt

chrsmat71, stevex6, randygeki and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted