Roman Provinical Identifcation HELP

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nathan F, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

So, I purchased a large lot of Roman Provincial coins and have been able to identify about two dozen but as I haven’t been collecting very long I’m having trouble pinpointing the rest, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1. This one looks like Geta to me or at least around that time period - 2.6g 21mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This one looks like Augustus to me - I think the key to this one is recognized the figure on the reverse and that IIII legend on the obverse - 5.5g 25mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This is one of the tougher ones - Not sure if the obverse is a deity like Zeus and this is pseudo-autonomous or if that is an emperor just with a large beard - 2.7g 15mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This looks Flavian - Vespasian or potentially a Domitian caesar to me. The reverse is similar to some of their imperial coins but it's tough to pindown. - 20mm 7.3g
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. I know this looks like one I should be able to find myself but despite the strong legends I haven’t read them right yet to find it and have had no success in attempting to search using the descriptions, any help with either would be greatly appreciated - 4.1g 18mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This is a hefty one, the portrait looks like Pius to Commodus and the reverse has what appears to be a man on a jumping horse, the legends are rough but on the reverse there are some clearer letters in the bottom. - 18.7g 29mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This portrait reminds me of Hadrian, beyond that I have little insight - 2.6g 14mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This is one I think I got close on with Claudius or Nero and Tyche but haven’t been able to match the reverse legends yet - 2.8g 19mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This looks to me to be Pseudo-autonomous, beyond that I’m stumped - 1g 12mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This one also looks pseudo-autonomous to me, similar to some I’ve seen from Mysia but still haven't been able to find it -

2. 3.4g 18mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If I may suggest, try posting one coin per thread and then only one or two per day. You will get a better response

Nathan F likes this.
  4. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I get a few reposes here but for any remaining will do.

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Too many!
    Third to last appears to have the Cista Mystica reverse, often seen from Markianopolis.
    Might be Caracalla? Elagabalus is also a common one for the CM reverse.

Couldn't find an exact match for this one, but the reverse is oriented thusly:
    Elagabalus Mouch 636 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Nathan F and Bing like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The one with the seated figure on one side and two on the other is this, or similar:

Tiberius AE
    Sardes
    RPC 2991
    Tiberius Sardes RPC 2991.JPG

Text:
    ΣEBAΣTOΣ KAIΣAΡEΩN ΣAΡΔIANΩN
    (two figure side)
    Sebastos Kaisareon Sardianon - King Caesar Sardes

ΣEBAΣTH IOYΛIOΣ KΛEΩN KAI MEMNΩN
    (seated figure side)
    Sebaste Iovlios Kleon Kai Memnon - ???

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021