Featured Roman Provincial Coin Cities-- How many can we cover?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jul 23, 2017.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Have a similar to the one posted by PeteB. The attribution I have found for Rhoemetalkes I and queen Pythodoris with Augustus say "Kings of Thrace". Were the kings of Thrace also called Kings of Bosporus?
    This is mine:Thrace, ca. 11 BC - 12 AD, Countermark X
    22 mm, 10 g;
    Ref.: RPC 1711 (same reference as the one given by PeteB)
    Obverse: BAΣIΛEΩS POIMHTAΛKOY Jugate heads of Rhoemetalkes, with diadem, and his queen Pythodoris, draped, right.
    Reverse: ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ Bare head of Augustus right. Countermark X
    the countermark X on the reverse could stand for the Legio Decima (X) Fretensis. The X Legio was participating in the fight against the Jewish revolt in Masada. May have been applied in connection with Trajan's Parthian campaign, although may just as well have been applied over a period of time. Since no countermarked coins are later than the reign of Domitian, the countermark was likely applied before the reign of Hadrian.
    #197-IMG_0400.jpg #197-IMG_0385.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There is a Rhoemetalkes of the Kingdom of Bosporus who reigned 131-154 CE so perhaps that is the source of confusion.

Geographically, Thrace touches the southwest shore of the Black Sea. The Bosporan kingdom is at the northern portion of the Black Sea.

cmezner likes this.
  4. cmezner

Thank you very much TIF for clearing this. Like you say "Always learning" :)

Guess that mine is "Kings of Thrace", maybe PeteB's one too, because they have the same reference RPC 1711

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm reading conflicting things so I'm just as confused as you :D.

cmezner likes this.
  6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

The error is mine! BOTH are Kings of Thrace. I have had RPC for years and heavens knows where my head was. I had the correct references and they are there plain to see! I just screwed up.
    I apologize to all.

cmezner likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Fortunately the two series don't look at all alike,
    Rhoemetalkes of the Kingdom of Bosporus:
    pz2772fd2436.jpg

Ryro, Okidoki, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  8. cmezner

:happy: all clear now :happy: Thanks PeteB

9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Maximinus I. 235-238 AD. Philadelphia, Cilicia. Æ (27mm, 13.20 gm, 6h). Obv: AYT K Γ IOYH MAΞIMЄINON, radiate bust right, wearing slight drapery and cuirass with gorgoneion on breastplate. Rev: Zeus standing left, holding phiale and leaning on scepter. SNG France 762 corr. (obv. legend); SNG Levante Suppl. 146
    Maximinus!Philadelphia.jpg

Ryro, Okidoki, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Trebonianus Gallus and Volusian. 251-253 AD. PONTUS. Neocaesarea. Æ (29mm, 13.08 gm, 1h). Dated CY 188 (251/2 AD). Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Trebonianus right, vis-à-vis radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Volusian left. Rev: Roma Nikephorus seated left; across field, PWMH(ligate/PΠ-H. RG 63; SNG Copenhagen __; SNG von Aulock 113; RPC 9, 1243. Minor hard green deposits; rev. slightly double-struck.
    TrebGal&VolusianNeacaesareia.jpg

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

PHRYGIA, Temenothyrae. Time of Gallienus. Æ (22mm, 4.57 gm, 6h). Obv: KTICTHC THMENOC, Beardless bust of Temenos, the founder, laureate, draped bust, border of dots. Rev: Magistrate TITIANOC (TIMENOΘYPEYC), Hermes naked but for chlamys hanging over l. arm, standing front, head l., in winged petasos, holding purse in r. hand and caduceus in l. hand. B.V. Head, page 687. BMC 18. Rare.
    TemenothyraeKtistes.jpg

Okidoki, chrsmat71, Bing and 3 others like this.
  12. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Vespasian. 69-79 AD. TROAS, Assus, Æ 18mm. Obv: Laureate head, right. Rev: Α(ΣΣΙΩΝ). Helmeted head of Athena, right. RPC II, 898. One example known. Waddington 664 (Paris 528) same coin. Extremely rare.
    VespasianAssus.jpg

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Caracalla. 198-217 AD. MOESIA INFERIOR, Odessus. Æ Tetrassarion(?) (26mm, 8.59 gm, 12h). Obv: AVT K M AVP CE ANTΩNINOC (AVΓ), laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Great God of Odessus standing facing, head left, holding patera over lighted altar and cornucopia; calathus on head. AMNG I__; cf. Mouchmov 1613; cf. Varbanov 4379. Rare. Note my misspelling of the image. Odessos is in Thrace.
    CaracallaOdessos.jpg

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just to show you have to be careful with these city names, I'll show a Vespasian AE22 from Flavia Philadelphia in Lydia - a completely different place.
    pb0165bb3170.jpg
    My Neocaesarea is a Severus Alexander AE30
    pn1840bb1916.jpg

My Odessus is a Divus Septimius Severus AE24. As I recall, Pete also has better one of these for sale on his pages but I like mine better because of the patina. I am usually a sucker for light green patinas. Previously I had one of these offcenter to the left losing the entire legend so I was thrilled when I got the chance to upgrade to this one. The great god reverse type matches the Caracalla.
    pi0740bb0923.jpg

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Are Odessos and Odessus different cities?

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As I recall, the Provinces were realigned in the late 1st century moving some Thracian cities to Moesia rather like there was a pre-Civil War US city Charleston, Virginia, that is now in West Virginia. Details and dates would take research.

17. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

18. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

How do you delete a double posting?

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While you can report it to a moderator and ask their help, the easy answer is to edit the second one quickly to say something completely different. There is a short window in which you can edit unless you have become a supporter (paid member) which adds a few nice to have features to the software.

20. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Mesopotamia, Hatra. Early-mid 2nd century AD. AE (25 mm, 12.34 gm, 12h). Obv: Radiate head of sun god Shamash right. Rev: Large inverted S C; above, eagle standing right, head left, with wings spread; all within laurel wreath. Slocum Series 1, Walker type A; SNG Cop 232.
    Hatra.jpg

ancientone, Ryro, Justin Lee and 6 others like this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Quite a collection you have there @PeteB !

Draft saved Draft deleted