Featured Roman Provincial Coin Cities-- How many can we cover?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jul 23, 2017.

1. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Tiberius, Augustus. 14-37 AD. Apollonia Salbace Caria. Æ (18mm, 6.72 gm, 7h). Obv: ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ, Bare head r. Rev. ΚΑΛΛΙΠΠΟΣ ΑΡΤΕΜΙΔΩΡΟΥ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΙΑΤΩΝ Apollo standing l., holding raven and laurel branch. SNG Copenhagen 145. RPC 2864. TiberiusApollonia.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The logic seems reasonable to me. I've added an entry for "Uncertain city, PANNONIA". Very cool coin!

Added. I see you haven't even finished with the letter A :D. Looking forward to seeing what other unusual cities are lurking in your trays!

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Julia Mamaea. Augusta, 222-235 AD. Arabia Petraea, Bostra. AE (20 mm, 3.62 gm, 6h). Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVGVSTA, laureate and draped,bust right. Rev COLONIA BOSTRA, draped bust of Zeus-Ammon, right, wearing solar disk. Spijkerman 52; SNG ANS 1237; Sofaer 50. SGI 3482. MamaeaBostra2.jpg

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Marcus Aurelius. 161-180 AD. Pessinus, Galatia. Æ 25. Obv: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡΗΛΙΟC ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC. Obv: Lureate-headed bust of Marcus Aurelius wearing cuirass and paludamentum, r. Rev: CΕΒ ΤΟΛΙCΤΟ ΠΕCCΙΝΟΥ. Nude Hermes standing, facing, head, l., holding purse and caduceus.
    RPC IV (Temp) 4109; Devreker 178-9, no. 57-8. MarcusAureliusPessinus.jpg

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Trajan. 96-117 AD. Attaos, Mysia. Æ (17 mm, 3.23 gm, 11h). Obv: AYT KAI CAP CEB, Laur. head of Trajan, right. Rev: ATTAITΩΝ Draped Bust of Senate, right. BMC 3-4, Augustus, reattributed to Trajan and Attaos from Attaea; RPC III on line, 1755. Only 17 other specimens known. TrajanAttaos.jpg

Okidoki, TIF, Bing and 5 others like this.
  7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Lucilla. under Marcus Aurelius, and possibly Lucius Verus as co-emperors. LYCAONIA, Dalisandus. Æ (19mm, 4.31 gm, 12h). Obv: ΛΟΥΚΙΛΛΑ CEBACTH, draped bust, left. Rev: ΔΑΛΙCΑΝΔWΝ, Athena standing, l., holding spear and shield. SNG Schweiz II, 1456(?); RPC__. Exceedingly rare, apparently the second known example
    LucillaDalisandus.jpg

Okidoki, furryfrog02, TIF and 6 others like this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Marcus Aurelius. 161-180 AD. CYRENAICA, Cyrene. Æ (30mm, 21.47 gm, 12h). Obv: ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΚΑΙС Μ ΑΥΡΗΛ ΑΝΤWΝEΙΝΟС СEΒ, Laureate bust of Marcus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right. Rev: ΔΗΜΑΡΧΙΚ E(Ξ)ΟΥС ΚϚ, Head of Zeus-Ammon right. Cf. Müller 450 (Cyrene); cf. Sydenham, Caesarea 344: RPC 4, 8006 (temporary) MarcusAureliusCyrenaica.jpg

Okidoki, furryfrog02, TIF and 6 others like this.
  9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. Creteia-Flaviopolis, Bithynia and Pontus. Æ 17; 3.7 gm. Obv: AYT KAICAP ANTΩNIN(OC), His laureate and draped bust, r. Rev: (KPHT)IEΩΝ ΦΛ(ΑΟ)ΥΙΟ. Nude Pan seated on a rock, facing, head l., holding syrinx and grasping reed representing the transformed nymph Syrinx. Pan was the god of the wild, hunting and companion of the nymphs. He was depicted as being half human, while having the legs and horns of a goat, as can be seen on this coin. Pan's body is covered with hair/fur, which is apparently unique to this representation of Pan on an ancient coin! VF/VF, with a splendid dark green patina. Unpublished and unique, as of this writing, though this coin will be published in RPC IV. It is currently included in the online publication as no. 11098 (Temporary) AntPiusCreteia-FlaviopolisPan2.jpg

Okidoki, Cucumbor, TIF and 5 others like this.
  10. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I love this one, especially the reverse. Great coin!

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Gorgeous reverse! I have a fondness for coins showing Pan. It is very artistic.

Beautiful rendition of Zeus-Ammon.

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Thank you, TIF
    I'm sure you noted that Cyrene is not on your Roman provincial city list....I think.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I used with the K spelling... Kyrene and Kyrenaica. That city has been check off but we certainly don't mind seeing interesting coins of cities already posted!

I couldn't find Attaos anywhere (Mysia) but it appears to be an alternate name or spelling for Attaea, which is on the list. If that is incorrect, or if you see any other errors or omissions, please let me know.

I think I'm caught up with your other recent additions. Thank you so much! The city count is now 301.

The list could use some editing-- deciding what to include isn't always as easy as it seems. For instance, nomes of Egypt-- include them, or not? I put them on the list but perhaps they don't belong there since they were most likely struck in Alexandria rather than in the nomes they name.

Also, in the first post of this thread I linked two spreadsheets. Of those, I have only been updating one-- the list of cities by Alphabet. There were various additions and changes made and it became difficult to copy changes to the Traditional Order sheet. I'm going to edit the first post to delete the link to the Traditional Order spreadsheet.

15. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A mystery, but note that acsearch lists coins for both Attaea and Attaos. RPC refers to BMC 3 and 4 (Augustus) which are attributed there to Attaea, but cites the name Attaos. Why they didn't clarify this apparent nonsequitur is the mystery.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...es=1&thesaurus=1&order=0&currency=usd&company

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&thesaurus=1&order=0&currency=usd&company=

SNG Cop 31 )Mysia) also spells it Attaea, as can be seen here....so, despite the acsearch listing of both, RPC "seems" to rename it, as you suggest:
    upload_2018-11-20_16-55-19.png

As recent as 2015, Gorny & Mosch spells it as Attaos in acsearch, citing SNG BN 158.
    I don't have this reference to see how it spells the city name.
    Nor do I have Von Fritze.
    Maybe some other CT member has an explanation.

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I'll have to keep an eye out for further information. For now I've put a note on the Attaea entry indicating that it may also be called Attaos.

17. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

That may be a wise course, but read what follows.
    I have von Aulock here and found what is very similar to my coin: Mysia 1072!! And he attributed it to Attaos!! The photo is not very good. And he refers several other coins attributed to Attaos therein to Fritze. "cf Fritze S. 124 Nr 367" as shown above for mine. So Fritz seems to be the key. Von Aulock does not list an Attaea for Mysia. It "seems" as RPC followed von Aulock who followed Fritze!
    Does any CT friend have Fritze?

18. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Thrace, Sarmatia : Olbia. Imperial times. Æ (25mm, 7.28 gm, 5h).
    Obv: (ΟΛΒΙ)ΟΠΟΛΕI(ΤΩΝ), Laureate head of Apollo, right, Δ countermark in left field. Rev: Eagle standing on dolphin, ΠΑ to right. BMC__; SNG Cop__; Similar to Mclean, Vol II, 4310; Zograf 34, 13 (var). Extremely rare. Olbia.jpg

Okidoki, Jwt708, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  19. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Octavian. 31-30 BC. SYRIA, Coele-Syria, Chalkis ad Libanon. Æ 21mm, 6.64 gm, 12h. Zenodorus, tetrarch and archereus. Obv: Bare head of Octavian right. Rev: Bare head of Zenodorus left . RPC I 4774; cf. SNG Copenhagen 417. Octavian&Zenodorus2.jpg

Okidoki, Ryro, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  20. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

KINGS of BOSPORUS. Rhoemetalces I & Pythodoris, with Augustus. Circa 11 BC-12 AD. Æ (25mm, 10.43 gm, 5h). Obv: Jugate heads of Rhoemetalces and his queen Pythodoris right. Some drapery on Pythodoris. Rev: Bare head of Augustus right. Youroukova 204; RPC I 1711 AugRhoemetalPythodoris.jpg

Okidoki, Jwt708, furryfrog02 and 4 others like this.
  21. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

KINGS of THRACE. Rhoemetalces II, with Tiberius. Circa 19-36 AD. Æ (22mm, 9.61 gm, 5h). Obv: Jugate heads of Rhoemetalces II, diademed, and his queen right. Rev: Bare head of Tiberius right. RPC I 1721; Youroukova 201-203

TiberiusRhoemetalcesII&Queen.jpg

Okidoki, Jwt708, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted