Featured Roman Provincial Coin Cities-- How many can we cover?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

PISIDIA, Sagalassus Hadrian ae 22 Zeus seated
    Reference.
    RPC III, 2793 var. no eagle at feet; SNG France 1766

Obv. ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС ΚΑΙСΑΡ
    Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian, right

Rev. СΑΓΑΛΑССΕωΝ
    Zeus seated l., holding Nike on his extended r. hand, l. resting on sceptre.

8.26 gr
    22 mm
    1127 P hadrian RPC2793.jpg

furryfrog02, Alegandron, Bing and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Okidoki

CARIA Euippe Hadrian, Artemis statue

Reference.
    RPC III -; apparently unpublished; uncertain c/m within incuse circle.

Obv. [ ] AΔPIANOC [ ]?
    Laureate and cuirassed bust of Hadrian, right, with a radiated head right facing on Hadrian his bust

Rev. ЄVIΠΠЄΩN
    Facing statue of Artemis Ephesia, with supports; to inner left and right, stag standing outward, facing

19.82 gr
    31 mm
    1148 P Hadrian RPC.jpg

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Jwt708 and Okidoki like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

What? No Sebaste in Samaria? Well, let's rectify that. You can read more about this coin and city here.

Soaemias Sebaste Temple.jpg
    Julia Soaemias, AD 218-222.
    Roman Provincial AE 21.4 mm, 12.48 g.
    Samaria, Sebaste, AD 218-222.
    Obv: SVΛEMIAS ΛV[GVSTΛ] SEB, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: COL• L• SE• [SEB• ASTE•], temple of the Capitoline Jupiter* with four columns; Jupiter standing in center between Athena and Hera. Wreath within pediment.
    Ref: Rosenberger 36 (die match); Price & Trell 786; SNG ANS 1083.

Alegandron, Factor, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wonderful coin! Sebaste (Samaria) is now ticked off the list.

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Is it wrong I want to buy a coin to satisfy the list?

;)

Alegandron, Roman Collector and TIF like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Heh, I know the feeling.

Pellinore and Roman Collector like this.
  9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Could not resist this Trajan - Zeus Ammon Hemidrachm when I saw it yesterday on mrbcoins. And then my husband bought it for me. Sweet :)

I know it is not a beauty, several scratches, but I like Trajan's expression, I even think he is more imposing than Zeus, and I like the ram's horn on Zeus. Besides, I already have the sestertius, which now has a hemidrachm as companion.:)

There seems to be some disagreements where they were minted: cng says Caesarea in Cappadocia, numismatics.org as well as mrbcoins says Cyrene, and Sydenham attributes this type to Arabia Petraea, Bostra. Go figure.
    It would be very interesting to know (read somewhere) their arguments for attributing it to these different mints.
    If I understand correctly this article:
    https://www.penn.museum/documents/publications/expedition/PDFs/34-1-2/Buttrey.pdf
    on page 5 (p.66) they say, and I quote "For a long time these issues were thought to have been struck in Cappadoccia....Excavations have now shown that these issues were used only in Cyrenaica, and a closer examination of style, fabric and circulation patterns now make it certain that the mint was at Cyrene". But this was published in 1992, and I can't find when Sydenham attributed the type to Bostra.

Sharing both (the picture of the hemidrachm is from mrbcoins, I don't have the coin yet):
    Æ Sestertius, 28 x 30 mm, 19.96 g;
    Arabia Petraea, Bostra, (previously attributed to Cyrenaica, Cyrene), 103 - 111 AD
    Ref.: Metcalf, Silver P. 83, note 1 (for attribution to Cyrene);Sydenham, Caesarea 232; RPC III 5
    Obverse: AYTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANOC CEB ΓERM ΔAK Laureate bust of Trajan r., slight drapery on far shoulder
    Reverse: ΔHMARX - EΞ YΠAT TE Head of Zeus-Ammon r.
    IMG_1583-367a.JPG

IMG_1598-367b.JPG

AR Hemidrachm, 15.68 mm, 1.53 g
    Cyrenaica, Cyrene, 100 AD
    Ref.: Sydenham 178
    Obverse: AΥT KAIΣ NEΡ TΡAIAN ΣEB ΓEPM Laureate bust of Trajan r., slight drapery on far shoulder (?)
    Reverse: ΔHMAPX - EΞ YΠAT Γ Bearded head of Zeus-Ammon r.with ram’s horn over his ear

#558-Trajan-ZeusAmmon.jpg

10. Okidoki

PHOCIS, Delphi Antinous, Eagle standing
    Reference.
    RPC III, 445; BMC -, Blum 5.6, SNG -,

Magistrate Aristotimos (hiereus)

Obv. ΗΡΩС ΑΝΤΙΝΟΟС
    Bare head of Antinous, right

Rev. Ο ΙΕΡΕΥС ΑΡΙСΤΟΤΙΜΟС ΑΝΕΘΗΚΕ
    Eagle standing r. looking l. within a laurel-wreath

6.21 gr
    21 mm

i'll return it, its tooled on legend H into E, so probably the lips are also tooled auction house did not note it.

1167 P Antinious RPC445.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. Okidoki

12. Okidoki

PHRYGIA, Hydrela Hadrian, Mên riding
    Reference.
    RPC III, 2360; = R. Pace, ‘Una moneta inedita di Hydrela’, Panorama Numismatico 112/97, pp. 18-9.

Magistrate Apellas Athènagorou

Obv. ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС ΟΛΥΜΠΙΟС
    Laureate head of Hadrian, right

Rev. ΑΠΕΛΛΑС ΑΘΗΝΑΓΟΡΟΥ ΑΝΕΘΗΚΕ ΥΔΡΗΛΕΙΤΩΝ
    Mên riding r., holding trident over l. shoulder.

10.52 gr
    25 mm

1179 P Hadrian RPC2360.jpg

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

A missing coin:
    CILICIA, Adana. ca 2nd-1st century BC. AE (16mm, 4.12 gm, 12h). Obv: Veiled head of Demeter right, wearing stephane. Rev: ΑΔΑΝΕΩΝ, horse cantering left; monogram to left and below. Rare. Unlisted in major references.
    Adana.jpg
    See Asia Minor Coins for another example:
    http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5422

Okidoki, Johndakerftw, TIF and 2 others like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a Roman provincial coin.

15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

As @Jwt708 noted, this is not a Roman provincial coin. With this date, we would call it "Greek."

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but B.V. Head wrote that "autonomous" coinage were minted at Adana "from circa B.C. 164," "and (usually abbreviated) magistrates' names." Magistrates under whom? He then writes "quasi-autonomous and imperial" coinage began with Hadrian. The question is, under whose authority were coins minted (if at all) during the 271 year period from 164 B.C. to 117 A.D., with Rome dominating the area for much of the time? Head is silent on this issue.

TIF and Orange Julius like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm checking Adana off the list for this reason. Thanks for the addition. I figured you'd have several not yet shown here, based on the tasty array of provincials on your website!

And thanks for yet another Hadrian, @Okidoki!

We have now shown at least one example from 295 issuing cities!

Okidoki and Orange Julius like this.
  18. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I was doing some re-shoots of old photos. Still not entirely satisfied with the one, but the color is spot on, just a little dark (though the coin itself is dark anyway):

Mammaea Bostra.jpg
    Julia Mamaea, 222 – 235 AD
    Æ21, Arabia Petraea, Bostra Mint, 6.94 grams

Obverse: IVLIA MAMAEA AVGVSTA, Draped bust of Julia right.
    Reverse: COLONIA BOSTRA, Draped bust of Zeus-Sarapis right wearing solar disk.

References:
    Lindgren2538 // SNG ANS 1237-40 // Kindler42

Provenance:
    Glenn Schinke, Santa Clara Coin Show, September 21t, 2018.
    Ira & Larry Goldberg Auction 106, September 2018, Lot 1285.
    Superior Galleries, 1970’s-80’s.

Ryro, Justin Lee, furryfrog02 and 4 others like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Interesting point, and a question I would have to further research.

20. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Ryro, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I'm going to go out on a limb on this one, so just bear with me after the coin itself:

Pannonia.jpg
    Reign of Antoninus Pius to Marcus Aurelius, 138 – 180 AD
    Æ Quadrans, Pannonian Mint, 16mm, 2.76 grams

Obverse: Radiate head of Sol right.
    Reverse: METAL PANNONI CIS in three lines.

References:
    BMC1860 (Hadrian) // Woytek111-2

Although I have no direct literature on these coins myself, CNG notes an argument has been made for their being struck in Rome, but in which I disagree (https://cngcoins.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=132). All these 'mine' types are very rare and their limited distribution seems to source them to the places in which they advertise themselves as being from.

So, why include them in this thread? Perhaps it is a stretch, but I dont think entirely. More likely it is that they are rare enough that there is little to read or study about them. Nevertheless the Roman mines in various locales undoubtedly had settlements right along side them (villages, towns, cities, if you will). Much infrastructure would have been needed to support the mines and I would suggest that they likely had a mint either on the premises or in the closest settlement.

The small number of examples to have survived to modern times indicates to me that they were issued and used in a very limited fashion, perhaps as donative pieces, for paying taxes, or localized commerce. Most likely however is that they were used in a combination of all those situations.

The inscription on the piece tells us something more. While some words have slightly different meanings, it can be read as "Metal or Mine from or of Pannonia". I think the meaning is pretty clear, and if one were to ask in ancient times they would likely be able to associate the coin with a specific town, not just the mine itself.

Anyway, take it cum grano salis if that helps. I was just re-photographing the coin today and it made me think of this thread. Still dont like the photo though!

Okidoki, Justin Lee, cmezner and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted