Featured Roman Provincial Coin Cities-- How many can we cover?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jul 23, 2017.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh! Thanks for pointing it out. I thought the mint city for Koinon Macedonia was unknown. Do you know if all of the Macedonia Koinon issues were struck in that city? If so, I'll just deleted the nonspecific Koinon Macedonia and instead use Beroea as the city of issue for Koinon of Macedonia.

Orange Julius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if it was the only city minting for the confederation or just the lead city... As the games honoring Alexander were held here, it is the likely mint city for all of the “Alexander” 3rd century Koinon coins. Below is a quick blurb from the city Wiki:

“During this time, Veria (Beroea) became the seat of the Koinon of Macedonians (Κοινόν Μακεδόνων), minted its own coinage and held sports games named Alexandreia, in honor of Alexander the Great, with athletes from all over Greece competing in them.[3]

4. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Hi Tif, here is a coin from Teos, Ionia which has not been submitted yet.
    My apologies for the poor pictures & sad condition of the coin.
    Obverse - head of senate
    Reverse - Dionysos holding Thyrsos & kalantharos
    The coins reference is SNG cop 1492, it has been suggested that the double legend on the reverse is due to a 180* D/Strike which has also destroyed the image of a griffin in left field.
    Size 20mm, Weight - 4.17g - 1st - 3rd century ad.
    IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4719.JPG

Okidoki, chrsmat71, TIF and 7 others like this.
  5. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes! I found another town, that (I think) has not been covered so far, because it is not in @TIF's list. A bronze coin of EUCARPIA, spelled also Eukarpia, Eukarpeia, meaning a good place to pick fruit! It's in Phrygia, now Turkey, a place called Emirhisar, 200 miles west of Ankara.

This bronze was issued by the emperor Volusianus, the hapless son of Trebonianus Gallus (reigned 251-253). On the reverse, Artemis is standing facing, drawing an arrow from her quiver, to put on her bow. Left is a stag, right a small cult-statue of the goddess Kybele. 24 mm, 5.95 gr., BMC 31-33.

3289 EU co.jpg

Okidoki, ominus1, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice!! Next time I have internet (besides on my cell phone) I’ll add the city to the list :)

Pellinore likes this.
  7. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen this city posted yet -
    Gabala - Syria
    Obverse - Trajan
    Reverse - Eagle - GABALEON to left
    Weight 4.41g, Size 16.5mm
    IMG_4942.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG

Okidoki, ominus1, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the additions, @tenbobbit and @Pellinore! I've caught up with marking the list (I hope) and the count of CT member owned provincial cities is now 287 :)

Pellinore, Eukarpeia was on the list but a coin from that city had not been shown so it is now checked :).

9. Pellinore

And I was so happy... (snif...) (not really crying, I'm still glad I have it. Meantime, I found another Not On Tif's List, still in the post).

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looking forward to it!! :)

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think I can cross one off the list...

[​IMG]
    LYDIA, Bagis. Pseudo-autonomous issue.
    Æ28, 9.1g, 6h; AD 200-268.
    Obv.: CVNK–ΛHTOC; Youthful male bust of the Senate right.
    Rev.: KAICAPЄΩN BAΓHNΩN; Apollo standing right, holding lyre.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can explain if there is any difference between a Roman provincial or a pseudo-autonomous? I suppose the pseudo-autonomous would have a ruler who was essentially a puppet for Rome?

Okidoki, ominus1, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Added :)

As for the question... I should know that or research it. Perhaps I'm wrong but if the coin has someone or something other than an emperor or empress on the obverse, and if it was struck by a city that in some capacity was held by Romans, it is called pseudo-autonomous (meaning the Roman Empire gave that city freedom to issue its own coins of its own design, but there is surely more to the privileges than that). I think Wayne Sayles addresses this in his Provincials book... if I can find it...

13. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

"Pseudo-autonomous" refers to the coin. It looks like an autonomous city coin, but it was struck under the Romans. The city might have had the right to strike coins without the emperor's picture, and maybe other special privileges, but I don't think having ruler-less coins implies anything about the freedom enjoyed by local officials.

ominus1, TIF and Jwt708 like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Actually I'm just happy to contribute to the list! I actually haven't gotten around to Sayles book yet :oops: No need to go out of your way.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Many of the pseudo-autonomous type have a personification of the Senate, the city or Genius. A few have a god of higher station. We do not always know for certain when a type was issued let alone why. I have to wonder if some may come from a time when the local authorities were not sure who was in charge. Perhaps they heard that Gallus was gone but not that Valerian was a sure thing??? I'm not sure how we are expected ever to know why some of them were issued.

ominus1, Pellinore, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  17. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

I don’t know if Cyrenaica was already included on this thread:

Cyrenaica, Cyrene - Libya
    69943C40-7868-46E7-91BC-6F6611FD050E.jpeg
    F93A9D43-0061-4141-9B3E-F74643841686.jpeg
    84470EAD-9285-4FB7-9BBB-B7CE3F3BDEAC.jpeg
    Ugly, but rare...
    Augustus. Scato proconsul.
    Struck 20-12BC.
    27mm, 14.2g
    RPC 943

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I used the K spelling for Kyrenaica and it has been checked but it's still nice to see another one!

Multatuli likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My only KYRENAICA / Cyrenaica... ALAS, not a Provincial... sorry, but I love this coin!

upload_2018-7-12_13-32-4.png
    KYRENAICA Kyrene Æ25 9.6g 250 BCE Diademed Zeus-Ammon r - K-O-I-N-O-N; Silphium plant; monogram SNG Cop 1278 BMC 16-19

20. Pellinore

Finally I have another one, (after first buying a bronze of Bagis, only to find out that @Jwt708 was there just before meo_O). And a nice coin it is, of the fair city of Comana, Pontus, not to confuse with Conana and Comama (phew!), no, COMANA or Komana in Greek.

3239 Comana.jpg

Caracalla, AE28 tetrassarion of Comana, Pontus. Year BOP = CY 172 = 205/6. Obv. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. M AYPHΛI ANTωNINOC (under the bust, something I can’t read). Rev. Tetrastyle temple with wreath in pediment. Within, statue of Nike, holding wreath, on top of a sacred stone, the baetyl of Ma. IЄPOKAICA KOMANЄ / ЄT BOP. 28 mm, 16.21 gr. Cleaning marks. BMC 4. RG 17.

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very interesting coin! I'd love to have coins depicted every baetyl known on ancient coins. This one isn't common-- great find!

The Comana, Pontus box is now checked :)

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted