Featured Roman Imperial coin lettering & inscriptions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Aug 17, 2020.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

ROMAN IMPERIAL COIN INSCRIPTIONAL LETTERING

[​IMG]
    My pen and ink rendition of typical
    Capitalis Monumentalis lettering

Roman Imperial coin inscriptional letterforms are based on those of CAPITALIS MONUMENTALIS employed by stone cutters for edifices, monuments, tombstones, etc. A fine extant example is found on Trajan's column in Rome and the essential constructs of these letterforms are the models for all Majuscule (Capital) alphabets used in the western world. Stone cutters in particular still employ their distinctive proportions and terminating serifs. It should be noted that only twenty letters were normally used in the ancient Roman alphabet: A B C D E F G H I L M N O P Q R S T V X. Our modern J and U were not used, their equivalents being I and V respectively. Thus, our modern JULIUS was written IVLIVS. The letter K was seldom used and then only before A. The letters Y and Z were only used when reproducing Greek words. W was not part of the ancient Roman alphabet at all. It was Medieval scribes who formalized the construction models for the letters J K U W Y Z.

There are numerous excellent photographs of actual CAPITALIS MONUMENTALIS lettering (including that on Trajan's column) mostly accompanied by location information, translations and analyses, at Bill Thayer's Latin Inscriptions section of his LacusCurtius web site

Although in general the inscriptional letterforms employed by Roman Imperial coin die engravers, particularly those of the early Empire, closely follow CAPITALIS MONUMENTALIS letterforms there are some subtle differences, mostly resulting from the limited space available on coins for inscriptional lettering. Most notably, they were modified to produce closer spacing and a compaction of the wide letters C O Q and M resulting in more uniform and "square" lettering. The essential letterform constructs were closely followed for coins of the early to mid Empire who's inscriptions are generally stately and elegant: E and F have equal length horizontal bars; A has a sharp apex; V has a sharp junction; the bowls of B P R S are always nicely formed. P is frequently rendered on Imperial coins with an open bowl, i.e. not touching the vertical stem at the bottom - especially on coins of the early Empire. The quality of Roman Imperial coin lettering reached its zenith on late period Julio-Claudian coins.

[​IMG]
    My pen and ink rendition of typical
    Julio-Claudian coin lettering

The coin die engravers used a selection of chisels (burins), stamps and punches -- the quality of the lettering may therefor have depended to some extent on the skill of the tool makers. The quality of the die metal would also be a determining factor. Rendering well proportioned and constructed Capital Roman lettering has always demanded considerable skill and it seems there has always existed a disparity of skills among the crafstsmen who executed them -- regardless of the tools and media employed.

Examples of early Roman Empire coin lettering:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Examples of late Roman Empire coin lettering:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

References:

• EXPLICATIO FORMARUM LITTERARUM (The Unfolding of Letterforms), Rutherford Aris, The Calligraphy Connection, St. Paul (1990)
    • ROMAN LETTER FORMS, Tommy Thompson, Holme Press, (1946)
    • WRITING & ILLUMINATING & LETTERING, Edward Johnston, Pitman Publishing (various Publishers), Bath, (1973-various dates)
    • LETTERING, Graily Hewitt, Seely, Service & Co. Ltd. (various Publishers), London, (1930-various dates)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Spectacular, Jamesicus!!!
    You are indeed gifted.
    You put my spastic writing to shame.

jamesicus likes this.
  4. jamesicus

Thank you @PeteB - a product of my miss-spent youth.

5. jamesicus

Addendum to the previous page:

[​IMG]
    (Above) My pen and ink rendition of Roman Capitalis Rustica writing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Letter stroke order

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Puckles, Magnus87, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Just amazing!!

jamesicus likes this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

A facinating post @jamesicus, and impressive and elegant hand lettering. You prompt me to look more carefully at the legends - the obverse legend of this coin of Tacitus strike me as unusually attractive for the later Roman Imperial period:
    Tacitus Pax Antoninianus.jpg Tacitus, AD 275-276, Antoninianus, Lugdunum (Lyon) mint, 1st emission, November-December 275
    Obv: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Pax standing left, holding olive branch and scepter
    Ref: RIC temp #3253

Puckles, Ryro, Restitutor and 9 others like this.
  8. jamesicus

Thank you for posting that nice example @Sulla80. I would say that the engraver of the die for your coin was highly skilled for the time. Note the flattened apex and base of the A’s and V’s which are characteristics of late Empire lettering. The letterforms on the reverse have the typical heavier serifs of later Empire lettering.

Overall, the lettering on your coin IS far superior to that on the Diocletian coin I posted. There was always some disparity in the quality of lettering that varied by Mint and the individual skill level of engravers.

Restitutor and Sulla80 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You have amazing penmanship @jamesicus. I was so impressed with it that I kept the envelope that you sent me.

Great and information and coins too, as always :)

jamesicus likes this.
  10. jamesicus

Thank you @furryfrog02.

11. jamesicus

Another addendum:

62723F20-0242-4BE1-9BA3-25A33FEBEEDD.jpeg
    RIC Vol I, Claudius, As, Rome, No. 106

Obverse depiction: Germanicus, bare headed facing right
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N

Reverse depiction: large S. C.
    Inscription clockwise from top: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP

B33B4068-FFE4-4F48-9CE3-62F220195FB8.jpeg

C609FCCA-4E3F-49C3-907B-220A2A8A8D57.jpeg
    BMCRE Vol I, CLAUDIUS, As, Rome, No. 206 (Pl. 36.6)
    RIC Vol I, CLAUDIUS, As, Rome, No. 113

Obverse depiction: Claudius, bare headed facing left
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TRP IMP P P

Reverse depiction: Personification of Liberty, standing right, holding Pileus (Freedman’s cap) in right hand
    Inscription clockwise from bottom: LIBERTAS AVGVSTA | S -------- C (left and right)

Puckles, Magnus87, Ryro and 11 others like this.
  12. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning.

jamesicus likes this.
  13. jamesicus

Thank you, Joe. Almost as nice (I mean the coin exemplars I posted) as some of your own fabulous coins.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    AncientJoe likes this.
  14. jamesicus

A well centered Claudius sestertius, restored by Titus, with a pleasing patina and very nice lettering (circa. 80 AD).

A77C689A-9F1C-4BE2-BC67-2EF1DB6A17E8.jpeg

Puckles, Ryro, Marsyas Mike and 6 others like this.
  15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Even a small quadrans can have nice lettering:

Claudius3quadransSCCOSDESIT8018.jpg
    18 mm. 2.97 grams. The smallest Roman imperial denomination of the time.
    Struck under Claudius, 41-54, in 41 (as COS DES IT)
    CAESAR AVG TI CLAVDIVS, around modius.
    COS DES IT PON M TRP IMP, around SC
    RIC 84.

Puckles, Alegandron, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Is Roman-style lettering always that uniform and standard? One of the reasons I believe the below coin to be a barbaric imitation is due to what I perceive to be non-standard letters.
    Constans Barbaric.JPG

Puckles, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  17. jamesicus

Yes indeed. That is a very nice example @Valentinian. Here are are a couple of mine that are not quite as nice:

52046C42-A9D3-4F03-9B13-1215FB23B148.jpeg 8133C9CE-4C5F-4301-95E1-B9732EC6D544.jpeg

There are some striking problems on the reverse of the first exemplar. I just couldn’t resist the second one because of its patination (some would say “grunge”) and the lettering that is nicely formed.

Puckles, Alegandron, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  18. jamesicus

I think that was the case with early Empire coinage. The quality and uniformity of lettering gradually declined beginning sometime after the adoptive emperors and the lettering in general became noticeably cruder during the late Empire. And again, there was always some disparity in the quality of lettering that varied by Mint and the individual skill level of engravers.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    PeteB and hotwheelsearl like this.
  19. jamesicus

I see that @octavius has joined the discussion. I hope he posts some of his magnificent Sestertii that feature some really superb examples of early Empire inscriptional lettering.

octavius and PeteB like this.
  20. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here are two Roman funerary plaques I wound up collecting with Roman calligraphy. I'm not sure what century, though I would gusess @ 2nd century. I was hoping @jamesicus might have an idea.

The first is an infant.. C(aius) TAFLENIVS C(AII) F(ILIVS) V(IXIT) MENS(ES) VII
    Gaius Taflenius the son of Gaius lived for seven moths.

41239-3.jpg

the second...
    TI(BERIVS) CLAVDIVS FAVSTVS VIXIT ANNOS XXX
    Tiberius Claudius Faustus lived for 30 years.

rmische-grabinschrift-18-5-x-8-8cm-2309389-O.jpg

Next is a Roman tile stamped with the stamp of the 2nd Augusta legion - @ time of Trajan/Hadrian.

legionary-tile-11133.jpg

Roman bread stamp @2nd century.. Has a Y for word with Greek roots.

126.jpg

some first century sestertii and as/dupond. 7FjtCz55c8iGDoR6i3fY9sTktA2Bj4.jpg 33365_33365-4_c.jpg 44874_0.jpg 73000839.jpg 98001009.jpg Zb2gDSs79zJaDr85zw4WX3xjfZ6EHP.jpg with typical 1st cent, calligraphy.

Puckles, Magnus87, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  21. jamesicus

Those are great artifacts - I think they could be 1st or 2nd century. The lettering is very good on each one. The “Roman tile stamped with the stamp of the 2nd Augusta legion - @ time of Trajan/Hadrian” appears to be freely, almost informally, hand scribed using a pointed chisel or burin (and with a couple of personalized serif flourishes) - very nice.

You did not disappoint @octavius - although I have seen your coins before, I cannot see them enough! Not only is their condition superb, but the lettering is magnificent. Thank you for posting them.

The Caligula three sisters, and the Claudius Ob Cives Servatos Sestertii are, as they say, to die for!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    octavius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted