Roman ? "I Guess !" It starts a new collection.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bear32211, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

By this point (early to mid 350s) the FEL TEMP REPARATIO fallen horseman coins were minted for 3 people. Constantius II, Constantius Gallus, and Julian II. ...and I think that by the time these coins (with the “M” in the reverse left field were minted, Gallus may have been dead). In any case, of those three, 2 were only Caesars at that point and only one was Augustus. On coins of this era, the Caesars were usually portrayed bare-headed. Only the Augustus wore a diadem on coins. So by seeing the bust wearing a diadem (headwear) on the obverse... by process of elimination, we know it is Constantius II. That’s a tough one for someone new to Roman coins... we would have told ya sooner if you asked. Haha... anyway, I hope you are enjoying this new avenue of collecting!

bear32211 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Thanks for the information directing me to read up more on Constantius II. I maybe could have narrowed it more knowing to note the "M" mint mark, but wondered about it. No, I didn't want to ask because I wanted to see if I could come up with the proper information. There is a lot to be studied with so many coins out there and putting the proper Caesar with each. Time to stock up on more books and read.

Draft saved Draft deleted