Roman ? "I Guess !" It starts a new collection.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bear32211, Nov 12, 2018.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I went to an auction yesterday and picked this bronze up, along with another for 5 bucks. I've looked on line and having difficulty finding information, so experts in the field, I need you help.
    I've weighed it and comes to 2 grams. The pictures below show size comparison to a Lincoln penny and next to a measure. I've gotten as close as I can so the markings can be shown to the best of my ability and also the picture of the two centurion's on the reverse.
    Is this a Constantine ? A date to use as reference ? I just don't know, so HELP with ideas here or a good book to purchase. Thanks.
    DSC05845.JPG DSC05849 (2).JPG DSC05850 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

bear32211 and Alegandron like this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

It’s actually one of Constantine’s sons. It is Constantius II.

The obverse legend reads FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C.

The reverse legend reads GLORIA EXERCITVS.

It was minted in Constantinople. I’m on my phone so can’t provide an ID right now... but that should be enough information for some googlein’ And I’m sure someone will be along shortly with a reference and date (somewhere in the early 330s AD.)

bear32211, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

its an LRB(late Roman bronze) of who Orange Julius stated..welcome to ancients (i.e. dark side) :)

bear32211 likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Is this an excuse for me to post my GLORIA EXERCITVS coins?

I think so!

[​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306-337
    Æ Follis, 18mm, 2.3g, 6h; ; Trier mint, AD 332-333.
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS; two soldiers holding spears and shields with two standards between them with thin pointed banners
    In Ex.: TR•S

[​IMG]
    Constantius II
    AE, 2.76g, 17mm; 6h; Alexandria
    Obv.: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C; laureate cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers standing between two banners with dots, holding shield and spear
    In Ex.: SMALB

[​IMG]
    Constantine I
    AE, follis, 3.2g, 16.5mm; 6h; Trier, AD 330-335
    Obv.: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-[ITVS]; two soldiers standing facing each other, each holding spear and resting hand on shield, palm branch between two standards, Os on standards
    In Ex.: TRS

[​IMG]
    Delmatius, AD 335-337
    AE, AE4, 16mm, 1.78g; 5h; Heraclea
    Obv.: FL DELMATIVS NOB CAES; laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them with dot on banner
    In Ex.: SMHΓ

[​IMG]
    Constantine II, AD 317-340
    AE, follis, 15.5mm, 2.65g; 6h; Lugdunum
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS I[V]N NOB C; laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-AI EXERC-ITVS; two soldiers hoding spears and shields with two standards between them; standards with Os on banner
    In Ex.: SLC

[​IMG]
    Constantius II, AD 337-361
    AE Reduced Follis, 15mm, 1.6g, 12h; Alexandria mint, AD 340-341.
    Obv.: CONSTANT-IVS AVG, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them. Dot on banner // SMALA

[​IMG]
    Constantius II, AD 337-361
    AE, follis, 15mm, 1.4g; 7h; Constantinople
    Obv.: xx xxx [FL IVL] CONSTANTIVS NOB C; laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLORI-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers holding spears and shields with one standard between them, O on banner
    In Ex.: CONSΓ

[​IMG]
    Constans, AD 337-350
    AE, follis, 16mm, 1.5g; 12h; Siscia, AD 337-341
    Obv.: CONSTAN-S PF AVG; rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers with spears and shields, facing one standard, chi-rho on banner
    In Ex.: BSIS

[​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306 - 337
    AE, 1.3g, 16mm; 5h; Nicomedia, AD 336-337
    Obv.: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; diademed draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: GLOR-IAEXERC-ITVS; two soldiers standing front, heads turned inward facing one standard between them each holding spear and shield
    In Ex.: SMNΔ

[​IMG]
    Constantine, AD 337-340
    AE, follis, 18.5mm, 2.8g; 12h; Thessalonica, AD 330-333
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C; laureate curiassed bust right
    Rev.: GLORI-AEXER-CITVS; two soldiers standing front, heads turned inward, two standards between, each holding spear and shield
    In Ex.: SMTSB

9. bear32211

Great pieces in remarkable condition. Here is the reverse bottom, the markings are nothing like the ones you have shown us here. DSC05846 (2).JPG

Jwt708 and Theodosius like this.
  10. furryfrog02

Your coin was minted in Constantinople, therefore the "CONS".

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome to ancients, @bear32211!

The markings at the bottom (in "exergue") of this type of coin denote the mint location and sometimes other information (officina-- the exact branch of that mint which produced the coin).

I can make out CON something, possibly CONSA, although the last letter purely a guess. "CONS" is Constantinople in this case, and the fifth letter will be the officina.

Actually, only the CO are relatively clear but once you gain some familiarity with ancient Roman coins, and once you know where to find lists of information such as mint abbreviations, it is easier.

In this case I went to this website, scrolled to the "Soldiers and Standards" link, and downloaded the mind-bogglingly detailed spreadsheet.

12. furryfrog02

Great coins!
    My few aren't as nice as yours but I did get this one from an uncleaned lot. I love the dark green patina. The detail is still quite nice too.

Constantine II AE follis
    334-5 AD
    CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right
    GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers holding spears and shields on either side of two standards.
    Mintmark Epsilon SIS
    Constantine II AE follis Follis. 334-5 AD Mintmark Episilon SIS.jpg

Bing, Johndakerftw, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  13. bear32211

What has been interesting in beginning my research of the Constantine II piece is that all centurions on the reverse. Their arms square up to the pole standards they hold in their left and right hands. These are different. With the picture I have below, you can see their arms angle upward and are not bent like other pictures I am seeing. Mean anything to any one of you ? DSC05846 (3).JPG

14. furryfrog02

Different engravers would be my guess. I'm far from an expert though. Just starting out myself.

bear32211 likes this.
  15. bear32211

Been going through tons of pictures furryfrog02. Have not found anything to match yet but still at it. Great information in my learning curve. Just another obverse shot.

Attached Files:

16. furryfrog02

Start at Constantinople and search for GLORIA EXERCITVS. Yours looks to be broken down like this "GLOR-IA EXCER-ITVS".
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantius_II/i.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This thread shows the huge array of minor differences in ancient coins. In addition to all the different mints, each die was hand cut by one of a staff of die cutters making dozens to hundreds of dies. finding a perfect match is very unlikely an could require thousands of coins.

TIF, bear32211 and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. bear32211

I must agree with what I have been looking at in obverse and reverse pictures, just odd that the centurions on the reverse of this piece have their arms extended straight and not at a 90 degree angle when holding their spears. DSC05846 (3).JPG

19. bear32211

In agreement when looking at reverse types, Type 29, has the pictures to match with. CONSTANTINVS II IVNIOR GLORIA EXERCITVS A.D. 330-336.

20. bear32211

Great information I'm coming up with and for 5 bucks, I think I got a deal for two coins.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  21. furryfrog02

What's the other coin? :)

bear32211 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted