Roman Gold Gratianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ben88, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

I have this coin from my father's collection. In researching it, I see many variations and can not find this exact coin. Can anyone help narrow this down ? Thank You !

IMG_0473.jpg IMG_0475.jpg IMG_0476.jpg IMG_0474.jpg IMG_0477.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

For starters, it isn't Gratian. ;)

Valentinian II
    AV Solidus
    Struck 377-380 AD
    Obverse: DN VALENTINIANVS IVN PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VICTOR-IA AVGG, Theodosius and Valentinian seated facing, together holding globe
    Reverse: Victory standing behind with wings spread; palm branch in field, mintmark TROB

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin that appears to be authentic, a lucky inheritance!

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Gold is always nice to have, and this coin is quite nice. My father was not a collector of anything but usable tools. When he died, most were obsolete so they are gone. He did give my sons circulated silver dollars dating back to 1880. No gold however.

Alegandron, DonnaML and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. furryfrog02

It is an absolutely stunning coin.
    When my dad dies, all I will get is a bunch of stuff that will need to be hauled to the dump.

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My father "collected" old newspapers that he never threw out, dating back 70 years or so! It used to drive my mother crazy. After he died, I did try to save some that had important historical headlines (like the New York Times "Japanese Bomb Pearl Harbor" headline), but most -- like that one -- were crumbling to pieces and I kept only a few.

He did have quite a few old political buttons, though, dating back to Al Smith, with lots of FDR, and those I did really appreciate.

Volodya and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Umm ... you posted this three weeks ago and I gave you an answer. I'll repeat what I said:

That's a gold solidus of Valentinian II. It should weigh about 4.5 g.

The obverse inscription reads D N VALENTINIANVS IVN P F AVG. It was minted at the Trier mint in AD 377-380. See, for example, RIC ix, p. 24, 49c.

Alegandron, furryfrog02 and TIF like this.
  9. furryfrog02

I remember OP posting a different coin that their father had listed as Gratien also. Didn’t think it was gold though. I’m probably wrong.

dougsmit likes this.
  10. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

You sure did - I apologize, I had forgotten that I posted it early in February, and also forgot to print your previous response (which I have been doing with others) to keep with the coin, which is how I ended up posting it again :-(
    Thank you for following up again !

By the way, you mentioned "See, for example, RIC ix, p. 24, 49c." Where should I browse to find that reference ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Roman Collector likes this.
  11. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The coin was probably holed and plugged at some point. Whoever repaired it didn’t know what they were doing and made the obverse legend VALENTINIMIVS which is of course wrong and TROBO as the mintmark is also incorrect. the fields also have the appearance of an ex jewelry coin.

Barry Murphy

panzerman, Andres2, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Interesting,
    Thanks Barry M

13. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Thank you for the additional information. So, I assume there is no reason to send this off to NGC ?
    Also, if someone was just plugging a hole, I don’t understand why the entire phrase at the bottom (Trobo) would be incorrect ?

14. Barry Murphy

You can still send it to NGC and we can look at it in hand. Even if plugged, we would still put it in a holder and call it plugged and give it a 1 surface.

TROBO is wrong because your only choices are TROBS and TROBT. O isn't a proper officina letter.

I assume the O is opposite the M and both were re-engraved to hide the plug.

Barry Murphy

rrdenarius, Andres2 and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Thank you... Two different sides and the tops aren't together... I hadn't noticed that quirk.
    We're leaving today for a week in Sarasota - I'm planning to come by to see the place :)

16. Barry Murphy

Ben88,

Enjoy your vacation in Sarasota. Concerning visiting NGC, we don't give tours and security won't let you through the gate without an appointment. Even with an appointment, you can't get past the lobby.

Barry

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You're coming to my neck of the woods. Sarasota is about 45 minutes south of where I live. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you. Today in the 80s and in the lower 60s for the weekend. That may sound good to you Northerners, but 60's high is rather chilly by Florida resident's standards.

Roman Collector likes this.
  18. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Makes sense... So, people can't drop off coins to be graded ? They must be shipped ? I was thinking of dropping off this coin.

19. Ben88

Ben88 Active Member

Thanks - we were noticing we only had 2-3 days of "Florida" weather !

20. Barry Murphy

There is no drop off service for non-dealers. Local dealers can drop off.

yeah,

The weather is supposed to get "cold this coming week" It's been in the 80's all February.

Barry

Draft saved Draft deleted