Roman Firmness Off Center Hard Times Token

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Sep 28, 2026 at 3:53 PM.

  1. Collecting Nut

    Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

    Here is a Hard Times Token called Roman Firmness as thst is what’s the coins reverse. It is as Lao called I Take The Responsibility. This is Andrew Jackson in full military uniform coming out of a money chest. He has his saber in his right hand and a bag of money in his left hand. A flower separates the lettering that runs along the, but not on, the rim.
    The reverse has a donkey (Democratic) with LLD on it. The donkey is facing left with ROMAN FIRMNESS above and VETO below. Other lettering is around the token which reads THE CONSTITUTION AS I UNDERSTAND IT.
    It has a plain edge and was issued in the 1830’s with a date of 1837. A very political token of the times. This was the response to a failed attempt to stabilize the economy.
    This token was issued for political propaganda but ended up substituting as circulating currency. It was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. They were a button manufacturer that is still in business today.
    More information is an available at my thread Hard Times Tokens; What Are They, which I posted on 12-17-2021. I posted a perfectly centered token in that thread. This one is 25% off center on both sides.
    IMG_1755.jpeg IMG_1756.jpeg
     
    Jersey magic man likes this.

Share This Page