Roman empire: silver siliqua of Julian II, ca. 360-363 AD; found in 1887 in the East Harptree Hoard

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 14, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 9

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 8

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. 7

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Well, to focus on the OP coin again, I always was interested in the emperor Julian, who as a caesar under his nephew Constantius II (that emperor was a bit paranoid and didn't balk at murdering his relatives) had to keep his head down. Julian was a capable general and administrator, but also a a very intelligent man, a well-read philosopher and a writer - a bit like the Claudius of I, Claudius. Once emperor, he tried to revive the pantheistic cult of the Roman gods - but his life was cut short as we all know.

I have a few bronze coins and also some barbarous imitations, but a siliqua was foremost on my Empire want list, so when this very fine, darkly toned siliqua with a grandiose pedigree turned up at a reasonable price, I didn't hesitate.
    This is the seller's picture, that's naturally much better than mine in the other thread.

2807 Julian.jpg

The coin has some problems: weak areas, doubled places - something must have happened when it was struck. But to me the quality of the portrait is cardinal, and that is excellent. 17.5 mm, 2.19 gr.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

His first cousin, not his nephew, I believe.

Pellinore, Jovian363 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Solid example! From here, the toning and (lack of) wear easily compensate for the strike. Have to like the portrait, lips and all.
    Your referencing of I, Claudius (known from the book, not the mini-series --need to find a copy) is especially resonant. The notion of Julian spending a comparable interval to Claudius, seeing how the dynastic sausage was made, had to be a key factor in his giving up on the prevailing brand of Christianity.
    ... Evoking certain conspicuously recent memoirs, from one country or another.
    Hoc concludit observationibus. ...Done about that!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    lordmarcovan and paschka like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.. give it a 7...since i'm looking for one now to go with me 'all of them' collection...but it's very nice! :)

+VGO.DVCKS and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

In Dutch, the words for cousin and nephew are the same: neef. (Pronounce as: 'nafe').

Here's another Julian for you - unfortunately I have only one Harptree Hoard coin. It's an AE of Sirmium.

2802 Julianus ct.jpg

7. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

It wasn't much different in England a couple of hundred years ago. Nephews were often called 'cousins'. A 'cousin' could, in fact, be any close relative, or even a friend (which can make the census confusing!).

8. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Julian II siliqua from Treveri.
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-jtPzOQLlsFwtAn.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted