Roman Empire: bronze As of Claudius, ca. 41-54 AD; Libertas reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 1, 2023.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

For the benefit of the non-Ancients collectors who may come here to read this, this is a Roman bronze As of the emperor Claudius, who ruled from 41 to 54 AD. The reverse features the personification of Libertas. The coin is 29.6 mm at maximum diameter, and weighs 10.11 grams.

I bought this piece a while back because I liked the look of it. It is well worn but has nice contrasting patina.

It is one of three prize options in my Giveaway #86. If anyone is so inclined as to help with the exact attribution, I’m sure the eventual winner of the giveaway will appreciate that info.

I figured it might be nice to give away a coin of one of the famous Twelve Caesars.

39AF18BE-4017-4D9E-A801-11A58050675E.jpeg
    EBCC5D94-5C6B-409F-A4BB-14A7CCAE2A55.jpeg
    A993E5A3-A784-41FE-81F5-981DD30C53EF.png
    6DAE8EFF-D636-4359-A643-C62D4C100C81.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to attribution, so if somebody more qualified answers then take this with a grain of salt. But based on comparison with previous auction listings, my guess is:

Claudius (41 - 54), As, 42-43. Obv: Bare head of Claudius left, TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P, Rev: LIBERTAS AVGVSTA around S-C, Liberty with Pileus and arms extended. RIC 113 (ca. 50 54 n. Chr.); C. 47; BMC 202; BN 230.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

I'm certainly a fan of Claudius; the Emperors of Rome podcast described him as a "black sheep" of the family, but he did well and started to gain territory in Britannia. I'll make a guess at attribution a little later, while I'm looking at some of my sources.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

It's thought that he was born with a limp and tremors, and became partially deaf due to a childhood illness. His mother Antonia Minor referred to him as "a monstrosity of a human being" and openly admonished him for being stupid. His grandmother Livia put him under the supervision of a former mule driver, thinking that his physical limitations and limited perception when being spoken to were due to laziness. One upside I guess, Caligula spared him while assassinating anybody that posed a threat to his position and even made him consul just because he so enjoyed poking fun at and laughing at him.

What a great family!!!! :eek:

lordmarcovan and Noah Worke like this.
  6. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Gotta love the Julio-Claudians!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Added another set of photos I found to the original post. Kinda dark, but they do show the contrasting patina well.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like that kind of dark brass/brown patina. I currently have a sestertius of Philip I that has that type of color...

Philip I Sestertius.jpeg

lordmarcovan and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted