Roman Emperor's Name?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, May 5, 2013.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Greetings. The reverse of this coin includes letters SC . I understand that it is Roman and struck in Antioch. However its poor condition prevents me from identifying the name of the Emperor, or its denomination . It looks bronze, and weighs 11.68 grams. I gratefully appreciate any opinion about its importance, scarceness and approximate value . Thanks.. Aug. R cl 001.jpg Aug.O.cl 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Kinda looks like Antoninus Pius

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I am thinking the denomination is probably an As. For whatever reason I'm thinking First Century A.D. Perhaps Augustus, Germanicus, Tiberius. Here is the image of one of my Germanicus:
    Germanicus2_OBV_opt.jpg Germanicus2_REV_opt.jpg

Someone with much more experience than me might be able to ID your coin.

5. 7Calbrey

Thanks BG. You have always been very helpful. I am wondering if anybody had noticed the green patina on this ancient coin.
    Charles

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Either Nerva (if clean-shaven) or Antoninus Pius (if bearded). I'm leaning towards Nerva, his large Antiochene bronzes are a bit more common than Pius'.

7. 7Calbrey

So Ard. it's just as Bing estimated. I mean the first Century A.D. By the way, the guy who dug this coin out said he found it together with two other coins that both belonged to Emperor Augustus. He even showed them to me. They were smaller, but in much better condition. They were also uncleaned.
    Charles

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I would rely on what Ard told you. I do believe he has a lot more experience than me.

9. 7Calbrey

Thanks to all of you. I am really satisfied.
    Charles

Draft saved Draft deleted