Roman Emperors in Foreign Art

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, May 31, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Inspired by a recent post about Valerian, I thought I'd bring up ne of the most interesting sculptures I've ever seen. There is the series of commemorative rock cut reliefs at Naqs-e Rustam. As part of a larger sculptural program, there are several that amazingly represent Roman emperors in the Sasanian style.

I don't know of that many artworks that represent a foreign emperor in their own style, so I'm very drawn to this.

relief.jpg
    The large central figure is Shapur I himself, accepting the surrender of two Roman emperors - Valerian I and Philip I.
    Valerian is seen standing, while Philip is kneeling in submission.

relief5.jpg
    This one shows Philip again kneeling in submission.
    relief4.jpg
    And just below Philip is the dead Gordian III.

relief2.jpg
    Here we see Valerian being led by the hand by Shapur I.

The artistic style is pretty good, but I don't really see the Sasanian style accurately representing the Romans, at least as they represented themselves.

For good measure, we also have a much later, 15th century illumination showing Shapur using Valerian as a human stepping stool. This art is in the medieval style, and does not accurately represent anybody.
    relief1.PNG

The last art is this cameo made for an Eastern market, but by a Greco-Roman artist.
    relief1.jpg

Finally, some coins.

Philip I
    IMG_E0871.JPG

Valerian I
    IMG_E5596.JPG

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted