Roman Emperors - Attempted Definitive List

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CharlesTheBald, Apr 2, 2022.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Clearly not enough letters for Valentinian 3. That coin is a $1 coin. You got scammed

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sky92880

sky92880 Well-Known Member

I find the book " The Emerors of ROME and BYZANTIUM - Chronological tables - for History Students and Coin Collectors by David R. Sear " ( Seaby Numismatic Publications ), 1974 a very good guide.

ancient times likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I

[​IMG]
    RI Valentinian I AE3 364-375 CE Emp dragging captive XP std

II

[​IMG]
    RI Valentinian II AD 375-392 AR Siliqua 18mm 1.8g Trier Victory wreath palm RIC IX 43

III

[​IMG]
    VALENTINIAN III CE 425-455 AE4 11mm 1.47g Nummus AVG - SALVS REI - PVBL - Scarce

5. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

Looks better than what i have found, looks like i still need 25 more emperors!

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those links -- I tried to find those lists not long ago but couldn't. I guess it's nice to know that on the first list, for Roman Imperial coins, I have at least one coin from each of the 55 most common emperors/empresses on the list; the first one I don't have is Magnentius, No. 56. Going from the other end, the least common I have on the Roman Imperial list is Aquilia Severa, No. 139 of the 206. The least common I have on the Provincial list, out of 106, are Poppea and Messalina, Nos. 80 and 82. Which surprises me, because I see those two all the time in examples from Roman Egypt.

Hamilcar Barca and Alegandron like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

This is a checklist to immortality... and possibly serious financial ruin.
    I will use it and update everytime I get a coin you don't have, and of course appreciate and cherish it always...
    Here's Balbs, Pupes and Hot Magnia Urbica:
    share8092905349880771210.png 2451850_1640601559.l-removebg-preview.png 2610185_1645833031.l-removebg-preview.png

Ps, I've always had a soft spot for "the new man" Marius. What do his coins celebrating his Germanic victories look like?

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm glad you like the list, @Ryro! I sure wish I had those three you showed. :D
    According to Clive Foss in Roman Historical Coins (a road to financial ruin if ever there was one!), the victory issues of Fundanius (Cr. 326/1&2, Cloulius (332/1), and Egnatuleius (333/1) are linked to the German victories. I picked a Fundanius because it's the nearest to them timewise, c. 101 BCE:
    fundanius trophy.jpg
    This is the quinarius, 326/2, showing a bearded German captive. The triumphal quadriga denarius, 326/1, may show Marius and his son; it's a very cool option too. The other two are both quinarii issued a couple years later.

Have you read Colleen McCullough's The First Man in Rome?

DonnaML, Hamilcar Barca, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have owned four Magnia Urbica over the years. This one is my favourite.

Magnia Urbica AE Antoninianus.
    Obv:– MAGNIA VRBICA AVG, Draped bust right on crescent, hair brushed in straight lines, plait carried up the back to top of head and running under stephane
    Rev:– VENVS GENETRIX, Venus standing facing, head left, apple upward in right hand, vertical scepter in left
    Minted in Lugdunum (A in left field).
    RIC V pt. 2, 337 var (not listed from this officina). Bastien -, Bastien Supplement -, Bastien Supplement II 613α (2 examples cited)
    23mm, 3.16g

[​IMG]

DonnaML, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  10. chaparralian

chaparralian Active Member

I just finally came to understand that it was indeed Napoleon who put the final nail in the coffin of the Holy Roman Empire. That's what this Roman coin collecting has done to me... learning the history that I was never exposed to in school.

So of course, I searched for some coin that referred to that. Just found one a couple weeks ago during the Roma auction on Napoleonic medals. Trying now not to get sucked into that rabbit hole, but really, some of those medals are beautiful. This one celebrates Napoleon's annexation of Rome to France.

Napoleon.jpg

Roman Collector and DonnaML like this.
  11. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Fun lists!

I made one myself a while ago; I had a particularly slow week at work and ended up building a checklist for my "one of each title" collection, drawing a distinction between Caesar/Augustus/Divus but stopping myself before the rabbit hole of collecting titles like BRIT, GERM, PIVS etc. It was enlightening and led to me spending way too much on obscure rarities of otherwise common personas

Caligula "As Caesar"
    Tiberius and Caligula Caesar AE As Carthago Nova.jpg

Divus Hadrian (pre-Decius) Divus Hadrian denarius by Pius.jpg

Diadumenian "cebactoy" AKA "As Augustus" Diadumenian as Augustus Antioch .jpg

I need to find and revise it to figure out how to fit in the governors that I also added - I should also share it out so others can use it if they're interested.

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I've been meaning to say: yours appears to be one of the most thorough general collections of Roman on CoinTalk... very impressive, kudos! :happy:

Finn235 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted