Roman - Egyptian Tetradrachm from the Morris Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

It seems my New Years pledge to restrain myself from buying more ancient coins was an exercise in futility :sour:. I would have had more success giving up pasta & pizza :shame:. I usually don't seek coins from Roman Egypt but I actively search for rare or interesting tetradrachms of Philip II, therefor justifying the purchase of this coin :rolleyes:.

Egypt, Alexandria. Philip II as Augustus, AD 247-249 (dated Regnal year 6 of Philip I). Billon tetradrachm: 23 mm, 11 h. Reverse: Homonoia holding a cornucopia & raising her hand. Emmett 3593.

4884217-005 Emmett 3593.jpg 4884217-005, obv. Emmett 3593.jpg 4884217-005, rev., Emmett 3593.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That isn't just gorgeous "for the issue," @Al Kowsky , it's just plain GORGEOUS!

This is my only ex-Morris collection coin:

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.49 g, 29.0 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD ca. 174-176.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: MATRI MAGNAE S C, Cybele seated right, holding drum in left hand on left knee; to left and right of throne, lions, seated right.
    Refs: RIC 1663, BMCRE 932-935; Cohen 169; Sear 5281; MIR 25; ERIC II 205.
    Notes: One of the last lifetime issues of Faustina II. Ex-Morris collection.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A stunning tet. I don't own an Alexandrian of his yet.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very nice!!

I'm still waiting on my HA wins. There was a delay in shipment and now they are lost in the postal system, hopefully just temporarily! They've been out for delivery for three days now :(.

Here's Philip II as Caesar:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Philip II as Caesar
    Regnal year 4 of Philip I, CE 246/7
    billion tetradrachm, 22 mm, 12.8 gm
    Obv: MIOVΦIΛIΠΠOCKCEB; cuirassed bust right, bare head
    Rev: Hermanubis standing facing, head right, winged caduceus in right arm and palm branch in left hand; jackal (looking more like Disney's Pluto) left at feet; L-Δ
    Ref: Emmett 3592.4(Caesar); Milne 3676; Dattari-Savio pl. 264, 5079

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow !
    Just Wow @Al Kowsky that's magnificent

Q

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

8. Al Kowsky

R.C. It looks like you made fine score from the Morris collection :D! I like the blissful expression the celator has given Faustina. The reverse composition is fascinating & not often seen & the coin is blessed with a wonderful patina.

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Al Kowsky

TIF, Your Tet of Philip II is a handsome example with traces of silvering still visible. Tets of Philip II as Caesar are much scarcer than coins struck as Augustus :). The reverse is a fascinating assimilation of Greek & Egyptian mythology, being a combination of the Greek god Hermes & the Egyptian god Anubis. The Roman celator left no doubt what you are looking at :smuggrin:. Heritage often moves in slow motion shipping out coins; combine that with turtle speed of the USPS & you get frustration :mad:.

TIF likes this.
  10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Congrats on your "Philip Morris"!

I also like that tet. It was the only coin in that auction I tracked. In the end I decided it didn't fit with my collection. I'm glad you got it.

TIF likes this.
  11. Al Kowsky

Ed, That's a good one :D. I remember as a kid walking to the corner store & buying packs of Philip Morris cigarettes for my father for 25 cents a pack.

[​IMG] upload_2020-2-9_16-26-48.png

Ed Snible and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted