Roman Egypt (Alexandria): billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, ca. 117-138 AD; canopic jar of Osiris

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 17, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. 9

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. 8

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Roman Egypt (Alexandria): billon tetradrachm of Hadrian, ca. 117-138 AD; canopic jar of Osiris
    01-Hadrian-canopus-frame-draft.png
    Obverse: Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian right, crescent moon before.
    Reverse: Canopus (canopic jar) of Osiris to right, L G across fields.
    Issuer: Roman Egypt under Hadrian, Roman emperor, 117-138 AD.
    Specifications: Billon, 26 mm, 13.50 g.
    Grade: F-VF; presently uncertified.
    Reference: RPC 5312, Emmett 827.6, Koln 825, Dattari 1321 (per Ken Dorney).
    Provenance: Ex-Kenneth W. Dorney Ancient Coins & Antiquities, Redding, California, USA, 27 August 2020.* Prior provenance to Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 451, Lot 257, 9 April 2019.*
    Notes: In ancient Egypt, canopic jars were originally used during the process of mummification, to preserve and store the organs of a deceased individual for the afterlife. However, during and after the Third Intermediate Period (1069-664 BC), improved mummification techniques allowed the viscera to remain in the body. The jars remained a ceremonial feature in tombs after that, but were merely "dummy" jars that were no longer hollow and were no longer used for organ storage.
    Comments: I found the theme of this coin fascinating, given how relatively late in Egyptian history it is, having been struck during the Roman occupation. This was centuries after the time of the pharaohs. Osiris was still part of contemporary religion for people in Egypt, which still encompassed the traditional deities. It is interesting to consider how much of Egyptian history was just as ancient to the Romans as they are to us.

01-Hadrian-canopus-frame-draft.png 02-Hadrian-Canopus-black.png 03-Hadrian-Canopus-gradient.png 04-Hadrian-Canopus-white.png 05-Hadrian-Canopus-coinscape.png

020000R

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

This second post is merely in case I need this space later, for more images or whatever.

Feel free to post your similar coins, or anything with a suitably Egyptian flavor to it.

PS- I voted "9" in the poll, personally, for what it's worth. Sure, there's some owner bias in there.

Theodosius, jb_depew and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

10 from me, but Roman Egypt is my favorite niche of coin collecting :).

Your new coin has loads of appeal.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 18, CE 133/4
    Æ drachm, 26.4 gm
    Obv: AYT KAIC TPAIAN (A∆PIANOC CEB), laureate and draped bust right
    Rev: Canopic jars facing; L I H across fields
    Ref: Emmett 933.18, R1

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 11, CE 126/7
    billon tetradrachm, 26 mm, 12.6 gm
    Obv: AVTKAITPAI AΔPIACEB; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    Rev: L ENΔ EKATOV: Canopus of Osiris right
    Ref: Emmett 827.11, R3; Milne 1205

I'd forgotten about this one-- my first "canopic" tet. Looks like I bought it ~2014.
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Regnal year 2 (138/9 AD)
    billion tetradrachm, 24 mm, 12.63 gm
    Obv: AVT K T AIL ADP ANTWNINOC EY CEB, bare head right
    Rev: ETO VCB, canopus of Osiris right on cushion
    Ref: Emmett 1373

Edessa, tibor, Carl Wilmont and 17 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

I take that as high praise indeed, coming from you. Thanks.

Hey, you've got one with two canopic jars! Cool!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

My contribution, Diobol with canopus of Osiris.

upload_2020-10-17_13-4-3.png

The OP coin type was one of the first ones I bought. I won't show it since the OP is much nicer.

- Broucheion

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Edessa, tibor, Carl Wilmont and 12 others like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A couple of Hadrians:

Hadrian, AE drachm, Nilos reclining.

Egypt, Alexandria - Hadrian. (117-138)
    Year 127-128

Type: AE Drachm, 32mm 24.42 grams

Obverse: AVT KAI TPAI AAPIA CEB, Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: LDW (delta) EK in exergue, Nilos reclining left upon a crocodile, holding cornucopia and reed, Genius emerging from the cornucopia and pointing at letters IS in upper field

Reference: Milne 1269

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coin is quite historical and commemorates Hadrian’s arrival in Egypt in the year 130-131.

[​IMG]

Hadrian. 117-138 AD.

Æ Drachm, 36mm, 22.1g, 11h; Alexandria, Year 15 = 130/1 AD.

Obverse: AVT KAI - TRAI AΔPIA CEB; Bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right.

Reverse: Alexandria kisses the hand of the arriving emperor; he is laureate and togate, stands left, extends right hand to Alexandria and holds scepter in left; she stands right wearing elephant skin headdress, guides the emperor's hand to her mouth with her right hand, and holds two wheat ears downwards with her left hand; in lower field L - IE.

Reference: Cologne 1034; Emmett 964/15.

Edessa, tibor, Carl Wilmont and 13 others like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I find it very interesting! Here is my example of a Hadrian with the Canopus jar of Osiris on the reverse, although mine is from Hadrian's regnal year 11 as opposed to yours from year 3 (gamma). I'm not sure I agree that this coin-type really demonstrates the Roman interest in Egyptian history: Osiris was still part of contemporary religion for people in Egypt, which still encompassed the traditional deities, in addition to syncretistic gods like Serapis.

Hadrian, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 11 (126/127 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from rear, ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ - ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ ϹƐΒ / Rev. Canopic Jar of Osiris (a/k/a Osiris-Canopus Jar and Osiris-Hydreios)* right, surmounted by Atef crown above [ram?] horns; L ΕΝΔ - EKATΟΥ [= Year 11 spelled out]. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 5640 (2015); RPC III Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/5640; Köln 939 [Geissen, A., Katalog alexandrinischer Kaisermünzen, Köln, Band II (Hadrian-Antoninus Pius) (Cologne, 1978, corrected reprint 1987)]; Milne 1205 [Milne, J., A Catalogue of the Alexandrian Coins in the Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, 1933, reprints with supplement by Colin M. Kraay); Emmet 827.11 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; Dattari (Savio) 1327 [Savio, A. ed., Catalogo completo della collezione Dattari Numi Augg. Alexandrini (Trieste, 2007)]. 25 mm., 13.41 g. (Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 212th Buy or Bid Sale, August 2020, Lot 497.)

Alexandria Tetradrachm - Hadrian - Osiris Canopus.jpg

*See https://egypt-museum.com/post/189683370661/osiris-canopus-jar#gsc.tab=0, with photos of the Osiris-Canopus Jar from Hadrian’s Villa, now at the Vatican Museum, describing it as “A Canopic jar with the head of Osiris emerging from it. In the cult of Isis and Serapis, during the Ptolemaic and Roman periods. Osiris-Canopus jars (also known as Osiris-Hydreios) were carried by priests during processions. As they are solid, each symbolically carried water from the Nile, fertility that originated from the god Osiris, one of Egypt’s earliest fertility gods. Osiris-Canopus was named after the ancient Egyptian town of Canopus, on the western bank at the mouth of the westernmost branch of the Delta known as the Canopic or Heracleotic branch – not far from Alexandria. Roman Period, ca. 131-138 AD. Grey basalt, from Hadrian’s Villa. Now in the Vatican Museums (Gregoriano Egizio). 22852.”

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Edessa, tibor, Carl Wilmont and 16 others like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

I wouldn't let that deter you, since someone else will inevitably post one nicer than mine! ;)

10. lordmarcovan

That was mere musing on my part. Perhaps I'll rewrite. Thanks. I like the silvery color of yours.

Edit: there, fixed it. Hope you don't mind that I lifted a portion of one of your sentences, verbatim, and dropped it in at the end of my writeup.

11. DonnaML

No problem! We all lift portions of our coin descriptions from others!

Broucheion likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

In case anyone wants to know Alexandria is an interesting place to visit, though there are surprisingly few monuments and ruins to be found. There is the theatre, which has been excavated about 15 feet below street level. A large column dated to the time of Diocletian exists, also below street level. The architecture of the city is largely 8-10 storey concrete tilt-up buildings like the kinds you see in other Egyptian cities of 20th century origin. There are a few edifices which hearken back to the colonial days under France and England, but fewer than exist in Cairo.

There is a large statue of Alexander the Great on horseback along the main road into the city (thought to be a remnant of the Canopic way). And off to the side of this are a few hills, ruins of the stands of the hippodrome. If you walk out into the center of an empty field encircled by these "hills" you can imagine being in the center of the hippodrome. When you walk down to edge of the sea and the corniche, a road that follows the coast you can see Pharos Island and the remnant of the Mamluk fortress which was built on the site of the Pharos, called Qeit Bay which dates back to 1477 A.D. Some of the original cut stones of Pharos were used in its construction.

In the central park of the city which is verdant and features grass and palm trees you can order beverages from strolling vendors who offer "shay" and "ahwa mas buut" (tea or coffee). There are a large number of stray cats in the park who come up to you to get bits of food. (I even saw cats eating croissant rolls).

Anyway, just the impressions of a traveler taking in the sights. One thing you don't see are shops selling coins and antiquities. I actually was hoping to buy a few coins while there but apparently what is found by the locals is put into the international marketplace surreptitiously (or at least that's one theory). The weather is pleasant, even in summer. It was a welcome respite from the heat of Siwa Oasis, which is situated in the Sahara only about 30 miles from the border with Libya. I had visited Siwa beforehand and stayed about a week, though when visiting the Oracle of Amun I didn't get any personalized feedback.

13. DonnaML

Thank you! Perhaps someday the location of the tomb of Alexander will be found. It was apparently still around in the Roman era, because both Caesar and Octavian are supposed to have visited it, as well as Caligula, Septimius Severus, and Caracalla. By 400 AD, though, St. John Chrysostom wrote that nobody knew where it was. (Source: Wikipedia article on Tomb of Alexander.)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

I hope so. The problem with the city is that the new city is built directly on top of the old city, so just imagine the wonders that could be found if more excavation were possible. Even the elusive tomb of Alexander or the palaces of the Ptolemies.

Theodosius, lordmarcovan and DonnaML like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Didn't one of those guys supposedly have Alexander's breastplate? I mean, like as in his armor (cuirass), not his sternum.

Must have been a wee bit of grave robbing going on, with perpetrator(s) and victim alike being some of the most famous names in history, if that's true and not myth. Who knows. I hope they do find Alexander one day. It might answer that question.

ancient coin hunter and DonnaML like this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool coin...so i reckon we'd call that a 'gut-jar'...what they used to put the mummys inerds in?...nice! :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. DonnaML

These "jars" weren't like the actual containers for organs -- they were solid.

ominus1 likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Sorry no Canopic Jars, but I enjoy popping in a Scarab and an Ox.

upload_2020-10-17_19-28-30.png
    Egyptian basalt heart scarab,
    Late Period,
    c. 664 - 332 BC
    1.9 cm.
    Ex Boston Museum of Fine Arts

upload_2020-10-17_19-31-15.png
    Egyptian
    red/black stone amulet of a trussed ox
    Late Period, c. 664 - 332 BC,
    nicely carved with mineral deposits throughout. 25x16mm.
    Ex collection of Norma Goldman (1922-2011), Classics Professor at Wayne State University, acquired during the 1960's-70's

19. lordmarcovan

Wait, what? Do elaborate, please.

Or better yet, I suppose I should go back and read the rest of that Wikipedia article I linked to, huh? ;)

Aha. I didn't read far enough down:
    Thanks, @DonnaML. I shall tweak my writeup yet again. Interesting fact. I did not know that (obviously).

20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

me neither melord....learn sumpin new everyday..:)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

I suppose the improved embalming techniques included the use of more natron salt and wrapping up the organs individually. (Hmmm...) Here's a good article on mummification from the earliest times down through the Roman period.

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/ancient-egypt/mummies

lordmarcovan and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted