Roman coinage QUIZ: 100$ to win !

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Nov 27, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You're giving me anxiety! Ok, I'm going to try to answer the questions!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

No stress my friend. Some members only gave me answers they were sure about and that's OK. From the moment you answer one question you're in the contest.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

But but but I have to know ALL the answers :)

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Last day ! The contest ends at 11:59 PM (ET). Even if Roman Imperial is not hour area of collecting, you just have to answer 1 question and you're in! You can win a gift certificate of 100 CAD $ for the next AMCC auction. By the way, the last auction of @Severus Alexander contained coins of :
    Greek
    Hellenistic Kingdoms
    Celtic
    Roman Provincial, Republican, Imperatorial and Imperial
    Byzantine & Cruisaders
    Medieval
    Persian / Sasanian
    India
    Islamic
    China
    And a pick- bin section...........

So please give it a try !

7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

The right answers have been posted in the "Contest" forum.

And now here are the names of our TOP 5 members with the most right answers (in alphabetical order) :

@Alwin
    @catadc
    @Claudius_Gothicus
    @Severus Alexander (*)
    @Sulla80

* sorry to @Severus Alexander but you can't participate in our Final Draw for the big Prize given by yourself...:(

Many thanks to all participants and good luck for the draw which will be done later today by @lordmarcovan .

8. furryfrog02

Congrats to the finalists. Can we get the answers? I want to see how poorly I did :p
    Edit: I see that they were posted. I am a durp.

Edit 2: I didn’t do as badly as I thought :) I will chalk it up to a win.

cmezner, Justin Lee and Sulla80 like this.
  9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Congrats! What smarties!!

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Oh scheiße!!. Not sure how few I got right, but not many. Congrats to the smarty pants :rage:

11. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Congrats and lots of Kudos to the top 5 and also to all not top 5 for trying, it was rally fun and challenging.:happy:

Got a lot wrong:D , I certainly must be Bottom 5 :cool: :)

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Durnit! Didntchya realize I was bribing you Ocat?!

Just to be clear: Ocat is the generous donor, I just topped things up a bit.

(BTW, how do we know Lucilla's Venus Victrix coins came before Faustina's? Not that that's the only one I got wrong! :mad::shy:)

13. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

I am also interested in this question ;-)

14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Oh great, @Severus Alexander must of cheated and looked over while I was filling out my exam;) aaand nabbed my spot!
    Just kidding. I got smoked like a cheap cigar:cigar: and I took the time to do the work of researching(ish).
    When is AMCC3 anyway?
    Still thrilled with my winnings from 2!:woot:

15. Severus Alexander

No, I just hacked your account and changed your answers! Ocat now believes you think the god most often depicted on Roman coinage is yourself. :D

That's a very good question. Covid-related stuff reduced my prep time to zero over the last few months, but I will be able to finish off the work over December. January it will go online, for a February close. Hopefully it will be worth the wait... :shy:

Curtisimo, Limes, furryfrog02 and 4 others like this.
  16. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

For all 25 questions, I tried to have at least 2 different sources
    to ensure the accuracy of the answers. My first one was the book "Les Monnaies Romaines" by Laurent Schmitt and Laurent Prieur page 312. I learned there that Lucilla was the first one to use the reverse VENVS VICTRIX. I was able to confirm the date of the emission (and also the one of Faustina II aureus) consulting the past auction house listings (from CGB) for the 2 issues. It's possible I was wrong, but that means my 2 sources are too !:blackeye:

Limes, Ryro, furryfrog02 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ryro

Which emperor said of a senator, "I wish I looked as good as he thinks he looks. "

Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. Severus Alexander

I dunno, but everyone's money is on Vespasian. ;)

Ryro likes this.
  19. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I am also unsure about that.
    http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.m_aur.736
    From what I understand, this started to be minted earlier than Lucilla's.

Also - question 4 "The semis is an unusual denomination for the Empire. After Nero, it will hardly be produced anymore except by the Emperor ...?"
    http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.dio.338
    And there are other coins listed as semis under Diocletian, so not sure about this either.

Ryro likes this.
  20. Severus Alexander

Yes, maybe so - but I'm pretty sure the listings only mention 161 because that's when Marcus Aurelius inherited the throne, it doesn't indicate the time of issue for that particular coin. Do you have another reason to put it before 164?

Note that Faustina also issued the type in bronze. At some point, CNG listed the issue date as 161-164, but I don't know if that was based on anything more than a hunch: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=34059

I think we need @Roman Collector to enlighten us!

There's no way a 7.26g AE from this late would be a semis... if you click through to the BM site you'll see they've (very tentatively) suggested it might be a dupondius. Denominations are pretty tough at this point, but here's a post-reform "denarius" with zero silver. It weighs just 1.42g.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 4.15.35 PM.jpg

In any case, Ocat's phrasing "it will hardly be produced anymore except by the Emperor ...?" means the answer should be the last emperor to issue the semis in any sort of volume. Definitely Decius.

21. Ryro

"Y'all musta forgot"

Ok,ok. Still buzzing from the Tyson vs Jones Jr, exhibition last week.
    As was stated in OP post
    "Do not take it too seriously, we're just playing for FUN !"

Draft saved Draft deleted