Roman Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jim M, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Can anyone shed any light on this coin? I know this is a REALLY long shot! :confused:

The pictures are the coins, it is not round so that is NOT an optical illusion.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jim M,perhaps this coin could have been struck during the reign of Emperor Constantine I (306-337 AD).

Aidan.

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

It is slightly later,one of his sons,Constantius II,Constans or Constantius Gallus,probably the first because he usually had the two hair-tie thingies trailing behind his head,but it's hard to tell in that condition.Anyway,it dates from 337-361 AD.Value is about $15-20.

Attached Files:

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello
    Not Constantius Gallus who is always bare head. I would say like Mikjo0, Constantius II from the portrait
    The reverse is GLORIA ROMANORVM

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Cucumbor,you have a very good knowledge of Ancient Roman coins.Do you often find them over there in France? I can tell the Roman British coins from the other ones.The 'PL' mintmark is the mintmark of the Londinium (London) mint.I don't know what the mintmark for the Camulodunum (Colchester) mint is though.

Aidan.

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Thank you Aidan :eek:
    To answer the first question, I'm not a prospector, so I don't "find" them, but there are a lot of them all around in the ground, as far as I know. Talking about coins sellers, I'm quite sure there are not as many in France than in the USA as there are far less collectors around there.
    About mintmarks, you can find a list of them in the introduction of any of the 3 volumes of RCV (Roman coins and their values) : p 71 in the vol I. London has many different combinations of letters such as L, ML, MLL, MLN, MSL, PLN, PLON, AVG, AVGOB, AVGPS and operated from AD 287 to 325. Beware of confusion with Lyon mint (LG, LP, LVG, PL, PLG.....). Camulodunum was only operating from AD 287 to 296, with C or CL as mintmark, and only for Carausius and Allectus. Not so many occasions to make mistakes...
    Hope it helps
    Cucumbor

Draft saved Draft deleted