Roman Coin - Is it genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tracy62, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Tracy62

Tracy62 Well-Known Member

I have this supposed Roman Coin that I know nothing about. I hope these pics are good enough. Is it genuine? I have my reservations, especially in this unique slab.

Can anyone share some info about it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If it is real, does it have any value or is it more of a conversation piece?

This might be a better image of the obverse. I can't get my phone to focus well on this for some reason.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yes, it's real, worth about $20.

ominus1 and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

ominus1 and 7Calbrey like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

VRBS ROMA type. Nice coin but pretty common amongst late roman bronze coins.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Your coin is from Heraclea and the part of the mintmark I can make out is •SMH?

There is a workshop in place of the question mark, with choices being A,B,Γ,Δ or Є with perhaps another • at the end. You might be able to tell with it in hand. It was struck A.D. 330-3. The VRBS ROMA coins were issued alongside several other special issues at the time, mainly CONSTANTINOPOLIS coins, because Constantine was dedicating his new city of Constantinople, so the VRBS ROMA and CONSTANTINOPOLIS were issued to mark the foundation of Constantinople and to also re-affirm Rome as the traditional center of the Empire.

It's a fun series to collect since thirteen mints issued them.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/comm/

ominus1 likes this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

ominus1 likes this.
  8. Tracy62

Yes, it is •SMHЄ•

Yay, I have some reading and research to do tonight. Another exciting Friday night.

Yeah, I know, kinda sad, but that's my life right now...Ha! I could definitely be doing a lot worse things.

Thank you for the info, the folks here are always so helpful.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Tracy62: Be careful reading up on some of the history, you just might get bit by the ancient coin bug. That was how I got hooked every time I would find a coin metal detecting when I was in Spain. I would read as much as I could about the emperor.
    That was over 30 years ago , I just got back into ancient coins within the last few months and it is just as much fun now as it was then.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. Tracy62

Thanks, yes, I will definitely be careful. It's sure a great way to learn some history I was never really aware of.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the slab or company. These coins are plentiful and are popular. It's hard to see much detail on your coin in the images. Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    Time of Constantine, 330-333 AD
    AE, follis, 17mm, 2.2g; 6h; Trier, AD 333-334
    Obv.: VRBS ROMA; helmeted bust of Roma wearing imperial mantle left
    Rev.: She-wolf standing left, with Romulus and Remus suckling beneath, two stars above, wreath between
    In Ex.: TRS

Draft saved Draft deleted