Roman coin in a place I didn't expect

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Whizb4ng, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

A couple of weeks ago the Canadian Human Rights Museum was hosting an exhibit on the Magna Carta and the Charter of the Forest. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see both of these documents. Unfortunately, we were unable to take any pictures within the exhibit for the usual reasons. To see this exhibit visitors were also required to purchase a ticket for the Human Rights Museum. It has been open for over a year now and I still hadn't taken the time to walk over and explore the museum.

I wasn't able to see the full museum due to time constraints and will have to go again but one of the first exhibits when entering the museum, to my surprise, was a Roman coin! The information on the coin was lackluster and focused more on Romans who showed tolerance to other people.

The coin itself appears to be on loan, or donated, by the ANS and is easily recognizable (for those of us who collect). I was able to snap a picture in this section but it is not the best quality at all.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else found an ancient coin in a place they wouldn't expect?

Brightened Image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Even with my glasses on, I find it a bit too dark to be sure who that is?? Are we expected to guess?? Ivstitia? and what's on the obverse/flip side????

Well, as far as finding an ancient coin in a place I wouldn't expect......usually that means in a friend/relatives home since it seems only 'we' few have the passion for this area of numismatics.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Jwt708 likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Livia as IVSTITIA. Nice. I hate museum displays that only allow you to see one side of the coin, though. There are a few different reverse varieties.

Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Brightened it up a bit in the original post.

Museums generally don't show the reverse but if they did it would be something along these lines:

[​IMG]

6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I was staying at a hotel in San Diego and they had a display with a Widow's Mite secured and encased in glass, as if it were the Hope Diamond. It was certainly an unexpected sight!

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

'Whiz' That's a gorgeous coin!!! Far out of my reach, of course.

LOL.....That certainly would be an unexpected sight...LOL a Widow's Mite

Draft saved Draft deleted