Roman / Byzantine bronze weight, γA = 1 uncia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Oct 31, 2018.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Most scale weights found in antique markets are dated by looks only. They are not attributed to a dig site. They are not easy to recognize when removed from the ground. This piece is no exception. I noticed it for sale on eBay when I was looking for examples of the half ounce weight I posted Monday. Barrel weights like this one were used from Roman Republican times to Byzantine markets and more recently by the Vikings.
    Byz one uncia Lanz 10.30.18.jpg
    Byz one uncia btm Lanz 10.30.18.jpg
    Late Roman or early Byzantine bronze commercial weight – This weight is probably from the east and after weights with Roman numbers (I for a one ounce) and before only Greek numbers / letters were used. The seller proposed 500 - 650 AD. The weight has a Greek number and Roman letter to mark its weight. I can not tell from the picture if any of the original silvering is still on the weight. Simon Bendall in Byzantine Weights, pg 8, split scale weights into commercial and coin weights. He then shows symbols for Roman and Byzantine weights. The γA on this weight is for one ounce = 27.2 grams in theory = one VNCIA (ounce) = 1/12 of an As (Roman pound). One As = 327.45 grams.

Uniface barrel- shaped 1 uncia weight. Cylindrical with a slightly bulging center and with a flat top and bottom. The top bears a center punch flanked by the engraved letters γA = 1 uncia.
    nVF, toned with some crust
    Diameter = 15- 17mm
    Weight = 26.18 g
    Bendall numbers 33 & 34

For some odd reason, I thought of @Sallent 's insect collection as I wrote this piece. In my case they are about the right color of brown, but have no legs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

rrdenarius, I've noticed a lot of good looking coin weights have appeared in CNG electron auctions this year, most of them have engraving & some with inlays. The ones I've seen are usually square or rectangular.

4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

CNG has had some nice ones!
    Scale weights are an interesting part of commerce before and after the invention of coins. I try to focus on those that might have been used during RR times, but at times I stray.....

This one is later / Byzantine.
    BYZANTINE TRADE WEIGHT WITH INLAID CROSSES timeline 2.22.18.jpg
    BYZANTINE TRADE WEIGHT WITH INLAID CROSSES
    7th-9th century AD
    A discoid bronze weight with inlaid silver crosses and a column(?). 15.11 grams, 19mm (3/4").
    Condition - Fine
    Provenance - From a private collection; formed 1965-1975.

These are probably 1st to 3rd century AD.
    DSCN1863.JPG

The one on the left below is probably from the same time as the one on the right above. The right one below is one of the few I think could date to BC.
    DSCN1184.JPG

This late 19th century balance and weights are from CNG last summer. You can see the Roman VNCIA translated to ONZA.
    two  pan balance spain 1800s CNG 7.25.18.jpg

5. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted