Roma shipping

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Apr 20, 2020.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I just won several coins in the last Roma auction and received this email regarding shipment. I thought it very considerate of them to notify me this way along with the option.

We remain able to send purchases with FedEx, who are still operating, albeit with extremely limited customer support and reduced security. Any shipments that do go out will be sent using the most secure service currently offered by FedEx, namely their “Adult Signature Required” service, whereby the FedEx driver will obtain a ‘verbal signature’ from any person of legal age at the delivery address, subject to the provision of a valid ID. While this is the recommended service in terms of security, there remains a significantly heightened risk of loss and potentially very long delays at customs depots.

Our main priority right now is ensuring the security of all coins. With this in mind we therefore recommend in the very strongest terms that for the safety of the coins you have purchased, these are held securely in our safe, to be sent to you after the present UK-wide lockdown situation improves and logistics networks have normalised.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

You beat me to it @tartanhill
    I only won 1 coin, it will come as a nice surprise when it does arrive :woot:

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

There was a glitch in their auction on the first 500 or so ( could be more or less I don't remember ) lots where the bids were erased. Roma restarted the auction to try to let the initial bidders a chance to resubmit their bids. I was at work and did not get a chance to resubmit my bid on one coin I had bid on. Sad thing is it sold for less than my bid.

5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

@bcuda, I received an e-mail explaining what went wrong during the sale and within it they say they are honoring hammer prices on lots 1-152 before the attack.
    The problems with having to re submit your bids must have been in a short window between 152 and wherever it crashed.
    My purchase was in the 300's and I didn't have to do anything with my pre-bid.

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Yes, the auction ran for about an hour, then restarted. Being on the west coast, I was up at 5 am for the auction's start, blurry eyed and half awake. When the auction restarted at around 6 am I wasn't sure if I was experiencing alternate reality (a popular term these days) or a re-run of Ground Hog Day.

I did submit a bid on a lot on the second go through and was successful.

Roma has been a very satisfactory firm and I appreciate the update regarding shipments. Clearly, in the midst of this pandemic, patience and safety are paramount.

7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I won a lot in the last Roma feature auction and it arrived safe and sound so I told them to go ahead and ship the lot I won in latest auction via fedex again.

8. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

According to the Universal Postal Association, the global postal network has collapsed. I´ll let my newest Sestertius sit in Roma´s safe for another month instead of risking my coin of the year being stranded at some airport or customs facility or in the hands of someone who claimed to be my neighbor :nailbiting:

Draft saved Draft deleted