Roma Numismatics keeps sloppy records

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have been waiting on a coin to arrive in the mail from Roma Numismatics after winning it at auction and paying for it on June 28.

Got an invoice from Roma today telling me I needed to pay. Both PayPal as well as my bank confirm payment was made on June 28 and posted to Roma on June 29.

I've had trouble with them before--back in about December. I'm about ready to stop bidding in their auctions.

Anybody else have this problem?

Theodosius, Orfew and paschka like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Never done business with them but I've heard plenty of complaints on this forum with this company.

4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have purchased a few items from them and had good results.
    The only time I had a problem.... I was working night shift, received two bills on the same day for similar cost and forgot to sent payment to Roma. They sent me a nice note about a month later. I paid quickly the second time. They did not charge a late fee, as was their right. The coins came quickly.
    DSCN0547.JPG
    DSCN0546.JPG
    These coins are two ways to make half an As (Semis):
    • a broken anonymous, caps of the Dioscurii
    • the Q.METE semis is over-struck on a coin that had been hammered flat. It is the lightest weight of this type I found.

Attached Files:

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I've have about twenty Roma purchase transactions and only had problems twice. On both occasions I had sent payment via wire transfer and I had to follow-up with them on my own initiative sometime about a week after payment to tell them to check for it. It was definitely sloppy, but from my own experience sometimes wire transfer payments received are a little difficult to track and match with invoices. I haven't had a problem with them in at least two years, and never when payment was made via Paypal. Whenever I make payment via Paypal, as a matter of course I always separately e-mail the vendor to let them know that I just made a Paypal payment.

Svarog, Curtisimo, Collect89 and 3 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

They corrected their error and sent me the following e-mail:

Yes you are absolutely correct. I apologise for the oversight. Please accept out offer of £10 off your next shipment. We will get these coins out to you next week and will email you with those tracing details one we have done so.

Have a very nice weekend, and again our sincerest apologise for the delay.

Kind Regards,
    Leslee Garfield

Roma Numismatics Ltd.
    20 Fitzroy Square
    London
    W1T 6EJ
    United Kingdom
    www.romanumismatics.com
    +44 (0)20 7121 6521

Orfew, randygeki, Svarog and 7 others like this.
  7. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

no problems so far! great platform

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Glad it all worked out!

9. Faw

Faw New Member

They've taken two and a half weeks to post a coin by first class signed for mail when it should be special delivery,I don't think much of their so called quick delivery or regard for customers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2019
    Roman Collector likes this.
  10. Mark1

Mark1 New Member

Interesting thread. Must admit to being a little disappointed with Roma, especially since they seem so corporate and high end on paper. On the eve of an auction I posted a quick query. No response then or since, which I would have expected at least after the auction.

Then, having won a few lots (nearly 2 weeks ago), I've had no Comms about ETA of coins. When I called last week, the chap I spoke to was borderline condescending. I understand they have a huge number of lots to ship after auction but it's their duty to overcome the logistics, not least given the sums involved.

Orfew and Roman Collector like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Sad to see these problems are still happening more than two years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted