Rolls vs Bags

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Garrett Haag, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

This is just me wondering, how many people get the bags of change from the bank that come out of there coin machines to search and how many people just have them order you boxes from the distributors, if you do both, what do you have better luck with. The change out of their machines or the boxes of rolls?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I did both until my CU stopped letting me get bags from their machines. It was about the same for my finds between bags and boxes. The only exception was that I would get boxes of solid date coins. That never was a problem with bags :)

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer, but if I did this, which I don't, I would search rolls only, on the "theory" that bags were counted last week by a machine, and represent primarily coins in current circulation. Rolls, on the other hand, may be the contents of a 12# piggy bank laboriously hand-counted and wrapped by a cross-eyed guy in his 70s who's owned the bank for thirty years, until the Ms. said, "OK, it's ME or the PIGGY..."

I doubt that anyone anywhere "empties out" already-rolled coins into a bag and takes them to the bank. Rolls have to be a better choice.

I would further contend that to find the few-and-far-between silvers left in the wild, it's a monumental waste of time to "search" anything. For someone seeking mint errors, etc., maybe, provided you have a 20x "edge" over the average Joe...

#60 Man with 3 eyes.jpg
    The Twilight Zone

Endeavor likes this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

boxes only, my banks machines no longer use bags, theres just a big container in there that all coins go into an every time the armored truck comes they just exchange the container for an empty..

6. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I have about 7 banks that I get all there bags of nickels, dimes and halves from and I was thinking of starting to get boxes from one of the banks of halves, so I didnt know if I could expect a similar average on those, I run about 2 silver or buff nickels a bag and about 6 silver dimes per bag. I had went through a few bags of half dollars that came in but there so rare to get that I have only been able to get 2 bags this year. So I was going to try and get some boxes of them to make up for the slowness of the half dollars filling.

Draft saved Draft deleted