Rolls of Silver at a Garage Sale!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ikandiggit, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

OK how about this!
    high-five.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

What coins are thoes in the tubes

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Joe, I put my hand on the screen and nothing happened. Is something supposed to happen? I mean, like, does a genie appear and grant me wishes? Or do I gain access to a secret goober installation?

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

If you hit your screen harder, it works....try it*. ;)

*Disclaimer...I cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur when initiating the internet hand slap. The cost for all repairs can be sent to Rusty.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh dear. Can't involve Rusty. He's had his own computer problems of late.......:)

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

They are (were.... I've already flipped them:D) pre-1966 silver with a few '67s tossed in. Canadian btw.

There were a few pre-1940 dimes which brought more than melt. Also, not shown was a small album with four silver quarters and another $10 in modern common stuff.

It turns out the quarter rolls were short 3 quarters per roll.:eek:

There weren't any errors or anything really outstanding.

I sold it for over $600 and still have some leftovers.

The comments regarding the purchase offer being too low (- "okay for me but not for dealers...) really shouldn't apply here.

If I was doing an appraisal and gave them a really low value, then I would say that it was unethical.

However, because at a yard sale it's the seller that does the pricing and accepts or rejects offers. For all I know, they may have accepted an offer of 2x face and been happy with it. But I didn't do that and gave them what I thought was a good starting offer which they could have countered but instead they accepted.

I slept pretty good last night.

8. Mikecouil

Mikecouil New Member

My humble two cents:

Last month my wife helped my mother in law go through the garage and have a garage sale to try and thin out 50 years of tools, collectibles, knives, and everything else you can think of after my father in law passed away 2 years ago. As the day went on the deals for buyers got better. My wife knows full well what she can get online for a full snapon socket set or a Ryobi 18v power tool set. But they wanted them gone that day and some people got some amazing buys.

Garage sales are not ebay, they are not craigslist, and they are not flea markets. It's people attempting to get rid of their stuff for SOMETHING ( and sometimes nothing) rather than go through the hassle of getting top dollar.

More than likely those coins were pulled from circulation over the years and the seller got far more than what was invested. They didn't get top dollar because they ddin't spent the time to research the stuff and STILL ended up with what was likely a far better offer than had they been sat out with a "make offer" sign. I think it was a fair offer and both buyer and seller walked away happy.

9. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

Very lucky and nice deal!

Draft saved Draft deleted