Rolls of half dollars and quarters

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kathy Valent, May 3, 2016.

1. Kathy Valent

Kathy Valent New Member

I started going through the larger coins and found that I have at least 25 rolls of half dollars and about 30 rolls of quarters. I took some out of the rolls and most of the ones I opened seem to be Franklin or walking liberty, should I unroll them all to see there is anything special in them or should I just spend them? I have Barber half's and will look at them later. There are a lot of the bicentennial quarters and lots from the 60's and 70's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kathy Valent

Kathy Valent New Member

I forgot that there are lots of Kennedy half dollars also

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, no, no! Don't just spend them until you've checked all for silver.

Quarters 1964 and earlier are 90% silver.

Half dollars 1964 and earlier are 90% silver.

Half dollars 1965-1970 are 40% silver.

For example, a roll of 90% silver half dollars is worth about $125.

Chris

5. Kathy Valent

Kathy Valent New Member

Thanks Chris, at least I know where to start, it's a little overwhelming, so many coins and I am just starting to look at them.

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Plus if you can, look for any errors or anomalies. Something or anything that might look different about the coins. A significant error could be a nice find! Just take you time. If you have any coins in question, are you able to post pictures yet?

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Also there's a lot of people that will buy rolls at auctions. Like ebay, but check out others. Of course I like rolls, who doesnt? If you feel overwhelmed. Me, I'd open everyone of them. You could (or could not) have that awesome mega coin buried in 1 of them

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Like Chris said check for silver. Shouldn't take you that long. The 90% stuff is in high demand. Don't sell the silver ones unless you are getting 12-16x face value of the coins. The non-silver I would just dump at a banks coin machine.

9. smarch

smarch Active Member

Are you serious? Spend 'em all!

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted