Rolled Thin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by cman, Aug 12, 2010.

1. cman

cman Junior Member

I was at a coin shop and the owner sold me this wheat saying that he had no idea what it was. I looked at it and suspected maybe a rolled thin planchet. Ive been reading up on them and im still not possitive. Heres the coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If it is what is it really worth and should i get it authenticated?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

can you post a picture of the reverse? and a side by side comparison of that plus a regular penny.

4. cman

cman Junior Member

sure. Just give me a minute

5. cman

cman Junior Member

Here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

Tell you the truth im not sure about this penny, if it was a rolled thin planchet then it should either be wider around or in an odd shape also it should weigh the same as the regular penny but im no expert. Hopefully someone with more experence will come along with more info.

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Appears to have been dipped in acid.

8. cman

cman Junior Member

I thought that but there is no pitting and the deatails are still quite sharp. Its REALLY thin

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I vote for acid also. Acid will act approximately the same from all sides, so the obv,rev,and rim will all be affected equally. A rolled thin ( and I haven't ever seen one) would have the same diameter after striking, and this one has a reduced diameter. Many collectors think that acid would "preferentially" remove the devices leaving a flat surface, but since it acts on all surfaces, the devices such as the bust, date, and lettering will remain legible. Due to the problem of liquids interacting in small spaces, the letter of LIBERTY ( small loops of B and R especially) and similar letters in the motto will tend to be more blurry. Notice how the G, O, D, and U ( in TRUST) is fairly normal compared to the N,W,S,R.

Jim

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

:too-cool-for: BINGO :thumb:

11. coop

coop Senior Member

12. cman

cman Junior Member

Well that is just what i was trying to find out. Thank you all. I will throw it into my oddity box. :) Good thing i didn't pay much for it

13. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

14. coop

coop Senior Member

It's a keeper for an educational piece. So I would hang onto it.

15. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

1986 extra colums and error planchet 010.jpg 1986 extra colums and error planchet 012.jpg 1986 extra colums and error planchet 015.jpg I found this cent and wondered if its also an acid dipped coin? THE WEIGHT ON THIS IS 2.1 GRAMS

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Good guess but I'm wondering what happened to the edge of the coin? Can acid just make a coin lose it's edge and become twice as thin?

17. coop

coop Senior Member

18. coin-crazy

19. coop

coop Senior Member

CC: I can't tell enough about your coin from the images provided. I can't tell if it thinner? The rims on your coin is in tact. So I didn't mention anything about it yet.

20. coin-crazy

the rim looks regular.. nothing out of the ordinary to me..

Draft saved Draft deleted