Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Shaking the bag gently can vibrate them into neat rows to pull out. Thats my preferred method.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

Hello all, I'm back to my seasonal half dollar searching. As background, I've searched half dollar boxes for well over 5 years now. I stared off slowly picking, up rolls form banks at first, later I became more aggressive and ordered $1,000 in halves weekly. Back then I would, pull about 1 or 2 90%/40% half dollars per every 5 rolls I searched. Needless to say I’ve found quite a few silver halves, as well as a few other surprises. As silver began to rise from the high teems /20’s, the silver pulls began slowed down. One thing, however, that did remain constant, for me at least, was the frequency of silver found in halves during the months of October - December (I'm guessing folks chased in their halves in anticipation of Christmas buying).

To make a long story short my first $100 worth of rolls for this season yielded 3-40% silvers, 1-2003P, and 1 full US mint wrapped roll of 2005P halves (which is first for me).Not a bad start for my seasonal hobby.

4. b money

b money New Member

searched 3 more boxes of halves only got 1-40%er and a 2005 NIFC when I went to pick them up the teller told me that the fed said that a lot of people have been ordering halves so most everything has probably been searched through. I thought this was kind of a weird statement as there are millions of halves in circulation it's not like they get the same exact coins back every time. I must say though over the last 3 or so weeks I've been lucky to pull one 40% out of every other box(This week I went through $3000 and pulled 2-40%). Anybody else ever been told something like that?

on a positive note I still have 2 boxes of nickels to go through.

5. colligoergosum

colligoergosum I collect, therefore I am

I've been told that many times at various banks, yet still consistently find silver in the boxes. I sometimes think it's the teller's/bank's way of discouraging roll-searching because they think that you are going to bring your dump coins back to them and they don't like dealing with them.

6. VACookey

VACookey New Member

I got 2 boxes today and again, tons of silver. We found 55 coins including 4 Franklins, 4 64s, and 1 Walker. We also found roll upon roll of BU 85s, and a couple rolls of BU 83s and 86s. Weird. I'd hate to cash those in but we just can't keep that many.

So in 2 days, my husband and I have found 99 silver coins. It's amazing how you can go weeks without finding anything then BAM, silver in practically every roll.

7. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

Amazing VACookey! Alright, my turn for the silver boxes next. Also you might want to sell the BU 1983 on ebay, they didn't make uncirculated sets that year, so ones in BU are worth significantly more than face. A roll of BU 1983 just sold last week for $66. Again, awesome! Post some pics if you want.

8. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

Found 1 Rosie in the bag. Also found 20 cents and 1 nickel. Based on my usual numbers for dime boxes, I wonder if this machine rejects silver and the Rosie I found was a fluke. It's a Talaris Mach 12 Plus. I'm going to have to talk to the head teller.

9. VACookey

VACookey New Member

Here's a pic of tonight's silver haul. Check out that nasty hole on the 66. Who would do something like that? grrrrrrr

29sep silver1.jpg

10. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Three dime boxes, five silver.

Nickels, skunk. Did find a beauty of a '63 that would be FS if not for a hit right down the middle. :(

11. Fattony16

Fattony16 New Member

2 boxes of halves produced 1 90%. better then nothing.

12. kyle5782

kyle5782 New Member

In the past week I've found 4 wheaties and a war nick at work :cool:

13. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

Last night:

1 Box of Halves: Skunk (7 out of last 8 boxes Skunks)
    2 box of Dimes: 2 x Silver Rosie
    1 Box of Nickels: Skunk

I NEED A MONSTER BOX....SECOND HALF OF AUGUST HAS BEEN TERRIBLE!

14. skistud105

skistud105 New Member

2 boxes of halves and 4 separate BWR produced 1 90%, 1 40 % and 7 NIFC.

15. JameeDon

JameeDon New Member

I search a box of bank wrapped cents yesterday and got a 1893 indian, first one ever but im still new at this, oh ya, and 15 wheaties. Probably only been through about 10 boxes of cents so far. What errors should I be looking for because im not looking for any and I feel like I could be passing through some valuable coins.

16. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

awesome JameeDon! indians are great, 1800s are just incredible. would love to see a picture of it if its not in too bad condition. for pennies, jeez there are alot of errors. this site has a list of most of the major ones to look for. http://www.collectorscorner.org/pocket.html there are so many errors that it is probably a waste of time to look for them all, as it would take longer to look for all the errors than to go through for wheaties and copper.

17. Daniel M. Ryan

Daniel M. Ryan New Member

Thanks a lot for the link. I found a 1978 coin that's puzzled me: it has a mint mark that appears to be a solid "D" or a D-like blob instead of the regular D. I don't know what it is, so I'll ask.

18. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

I rolled up $80 in halves to get some quick cash and trade for some dimes while cashing my check. The teller asks me about the halves and I tell her there are some NIFC's and some BU's from 70's & 80's. She had no idea what I was talking about. She did not have enough dimes and the head teller says she will get me a box because I could not get a full box earlier in the week. Sure I say that will be great. She puts the box on the counter and I notice a strange looking ender, it's a Canadian with the Mackrel. Did'nt open that roll yet just saving it for later. The other 49 rolls produced 3 x Roosie and 1 x 1939 Merc. I got at least 5 silvers from the box.:hail: I'm not sure if the Mackrel is 50% or 80% silver. Here is a crappy image from my cell phone. Any ideas on the silver content of the Mackrel. I think they may have only been made in 1967.
    HOTN 093011_13191.jpg

19. WarNickelFinder

WarNickelFinder Active Member

I searched through coins for the first time in about a month (when I had my monster score of silver quarters and dimes). I searched through $250 in dimes, and what I found was a single 1977 Canadian. At my dump bank, I had some consolation for skunking, one of the tellers saved 18 steel cents and a taped together $1 silver certificate for me. It goes to show you that if you get skunked, consolation may not be too far off.

20. JameeDon

JameeDon New Member

As you can see im new here so we'll see if I can post these pics.
    IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4739.JPG
    Thanks for the link, thats a better list than the one I have. Do you know if there is a list of the easier finds, the ones that arn't a big waste of time looking for?

21. Daniel M. Ryan

Daniel M. Ryan New Member

You're right about them only being made in '67. Some of them have 80%, some 50%; the Royal Canadian Mint switched in the middle of the year.

Now for the bad news...the 80s and the 50s weigh exactly the same. The Mint was more understanding with respect to the '67 quarters: the 50 percenters weigh less than the 80s. But, not the dimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted