Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

5 rolls of quarters and 10 rolls of dimes today... nothing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I was actually thinking we chould just create a line of demarcation and each work half the city. I'd be more targeting the Society Hill and Olde City sections anyway, not so much dead Center City.
    You need some better luck with boxes, bro. Most of the silver I've been finding lately is pretty obviously either 40% or 90%... after a year of roll-searching, I've learned to check anything that isn't obviously copper or looks like a very-well struck CuNi coin (For proofs and mint set coins), so I don't think much, if any silver at all, slips by me. I also kind of drop the coins from one hand to the other on their way into my cash-in bag, so I'll usually hear a silver if I don't see it.

4. Merc Crazy

Ive been through a lot of boxes of nickels and only have one BU FS pre-60 to show for it, so...

Also, regarding the MM locations, I believe they were handpunched up through 1991, but not sure on the date. That explains the difference.

5. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

If that's the case then I think I'm in for Friday. I have a meeting in Malvern till 9:30 - 10:00 then I was going to head into town. I was going to hit the Center City area. I used to work at 17th and Market and am very familiar with that area. I'll send you a message and we can plan to connect on Friday. It be good to meet you. I may bring my 72 Ikes that I can't distinctively tell if they are Type 2's if you wouldn't mind doing me a favor and taking a look to see if they are or are not Type 2's.

6. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

Kanderus - I'm figuring they are just dirty too. I think my point is that someone is hitting our area and hitting it hard. My guess is they rim check and maybe missed a few. Therefore, the dirty rims are slipping through the cracks.

7. Merc Crazy

Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing that, I could also bring one of my T2's. They're pretty easy to spot once you've seen one in-hand, they have a very distinctive look to them. The tough part is differentiating between the ones struck in March of '72 (The much scarcer die) and the ones struck later in the year.

Here's CC, the red dots are, for the most part, banks.

[​IMG]

I'll let you decide if you wanna split N/S or E/W.
    Our area has been hammered for years. The guy who owns the coin and bullion place in Booths Corners, Charles, told me he used to do thousands a week, since all he does is run that coin shop, and they're only open Fri and Sat. Gives him a lot of free time to do whatever.

Any time you get a good box around here now, it's all about luck. Getting lucky and hitting a hoard someone cashed in very recently.

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Interesting "Home-Grown" Counterstamped Half

Found this in halves. Something I don't think I want to keep, so if someone else wants to trade a coin for this, let me know.

Attached Files:

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Proof 1970-S Dime in rolls

I found this nice 1970-S Proof in a circulating roll. Pics taken with different light sources. The bottom set is so stark because of the surface of the coin.

Attached Files:

10. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

Sounds good Merc. I'll be in touch. I was going to stay from Broad street going up in #'s of streets. We could just split it and start on one side of Broad and head in opposite directions.

11. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

Today I did 2 boxes of Dimes and my first box of Nickels (all from TD Bank).

Dimes: 6 x Silver Rosies and 1 x 1944 Merc

Nickels:

2 Dateless Buffalo's
    1 x 1942P (War)
    1 x 1944S (War)
    1 x 1945P (War)
    1 x 1939
    2 x 1940
    2 x 1941
    2 x 1946
    1 x 1947
    1 x 1949
    17 total from the 1950's

Merc and other Nickel Hunters - is this good, average, or bad? I'm thinking it's pretty good, but this is my first box. I don't see myself doing a lot of these. Maybe 1 a month or so.

Appreciate your thoughts.

12. Merc Crazy

That's a very good box. My averages;

1.15 war nicks per box.
    0.73 Buffs per box.
    0.05 V-Nicks per box.

The upsurge of Buffalo nickels lately is interesting, something similar happened last year, then I stumbled on two boxes with a combined 30 dated buffalos...

13. redskins

redskins New Member

yeah good box
    My averages are
    1.6 silver war/box
    .333 Buffalos/box
    .0 V/box

14. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Y'all are lucky. Mine are
    .75 war/box
    .05 buffalo/box
    0 v/box
    Thus why I stopped searching nickels.

15. I just have a random question. I hear a lot about people looking through boxes of halves and dimes. Cents and nickels are pretty common too. but, what about quarters? I don't think I ever really heard of people looking through boxes of quarters. Is there a lack of silver in them, or what exactly?

16. Merc Crazy

Get a couple boxes and you'll find out, lol.

I get about 1 silver per $1k searched.

17. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Personally, I don't do quarters because actual businesses need those and I would feel mean for taking from a business that requires that.

18. Merc Crazy

My sample size is $11,080, just FYI.

19. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

My sample is $2000.

20. redskins

redskins New Member

Just started recently so $300

21. ChesterCoperPot

ChesterCoperPot Junior Member

I found a similar half like this one about a week ago, still not sure what it says.

Draft saved Draft deleted