Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

I thought the thing only counted the money, not searched it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DavidRay

DavidRay Junior Member

I started low key with two rolls of quarters from the bank. They only had two Kennedy's so I took both of those as well. In the quarters there were about 40% state quarters. Nothing I didn't have but I saved some extras for trading. It was fun and relaxing to peruse each coin. I enjoyed seeing some older quarters that were fairly worn from the 60s and 70s.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It does only count it. He's saying the machine saves YOU from having to recount and roll the coins you searched.

5. GDJMSP

How thebest - Welcome to the Forum !!

Take a quarter out your pocket and look at the edge of it. See how it is different colors on the edge ? That's because the coin is made by bonding together 3 layers of metal. It's like a sandwich. The copper is the middle or the meat. The copper/nickel alloy (the silver colored part) is the outside or the bread. That's why we call todays coins "clad". It's because they take a layer of copper and clad it with two layers of copper/nickel.

When someone says that a coin is missing clad layers - it means the bread is missing from the sandwich. The outer layers, the silver colored ones are not there.

Bambooski likes this.
  6. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Latest box of cents:

19 Wheats, all 40's and 50's
    7 Canadians
    and another 1998 Wide AM

7. thebest07

thebest07 New Member

GDJMSP.. thanks alot for explaining. This site has really excited me again about coin collecting.

8. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

New to this site as well. I have caught the coin collecting bug again after many years away from it. Boy did I miss a lot of coin searching during that time from all the great "finds" I have been reading about in this thread. I hope my boss doesnt find out how much time I spend on this site reading and learning more and more about collecting.

I have been to 4 different banks asking for rolls of halves to search through and they immediately say no. Two of these banks were banks I have accounts with. I then ask if they would have any in the vault and get another immediate NO, as if the tellers know exactly what is in their vault! Maybe they do, but I doubt it. I think they are just too lazy to get off their butt and check for me. So, I had one of my banks order 2 boxes and the other order one box. I should get the 2 boxes this coming Tuesday, Mar. 21st and am looking forward to posting my great finds to all here, since I am sure you enjoy hearing about everyone else's finds as much as I do. I did pick up $7.50 in halves from a bank yesterday and all were 70's, 4 of which were Bicentennial Halves. I will post next week. BTW I am from Houston, Tx.

9. thebest07

thebest07 New Member

jwevansv-- your post got me curious. Do most banks have rolls of halves?

BTW.. i am from Cincinnati, OH

10. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

from experience, most don't, they just don't have any need for them. They do occassionally have loose coins that were brought in by customers. If you want to sort haves on a consistant basis and not just whenever the bank happens to have some, then you will need to find a bank that will order $500 boxes (or bags) of them for you.

good luck!

11. thebest07

thebest07 New Member

Yeah, that is kind of what i figured.. thanks alot!

12. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Last couple days of "vacation" (I start my new job on Monday), plenty of time to go through boxes of cents. Went through another box yesterday, only a few wheats; oldest was a 1939, also found a 2000 Wide AM.

13. lumberman

lumberman Member

what is wide am??:)

14. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

In 1993, the mint changed the reverse on the Lincoln cent where the A and the M in America touch or almost touch at the bottom for business strike coins. For the proof issues, the spacing remained the same as it had been. In 1998, 1999 and 2000, the Philadelphia Mint made some cents with the wide AM ('99 being the rarest of the three), also there were some 1992-D's minted with the close AM (also very rare). There are some proofs that were minted with the close AM as well, I'm not sure of the dates though.

Attached Files:

DamagedWorld likes this.
  15. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

rolls

I finally decided to try searching cent rolls and got two rolls today. the first roll I opened had 20 wheat cents. 3 from the teens, 3 s mints (42-s, 29-s, 19-s) one from the 30,s and the rest 40,s ( a 49 au red) and 50,s. nothing real special but I was exited.:kewl:

16. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

That's an excellent start. I'm lucky if I can find 10 wheats in a box of cents, usually 40s and 50s, but I did find a G-4 1914-D a couple months back.

17. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Last night while going through rolls of dimes to fill up my Whitman folderlooking for the 1971 dime, I got my wife to agree to join in on the FUN to help me find it. I go through 10 rolls and she goes through one and finds it!!! Trying to get her somewhat interested in my hobby. But, then that got me thinking.... If anyone is having trouble getting thier wife or gf interested in this hobby a good way to do it would be to set-up a roll with a nice rare coin and let them go through it and have them think they found a goldmine!!! Is that bad? :)

18. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

cents

I picked up 2 rolls of cents each for my kids to go though to fill in there folders. They only found one wheat cent, but I told them to look for a 73-s, as it is the last cent I need to fill my 1940 to 1975 folder, and sure enough my son found an AU red 73-s. I gladdly gave him a kennedy in trade.( the kids love those kennedys). The kids sure enjoy roll searching, and I like watching them.

19. GDJMSP

Only if she finds out :D

Pixl Pirate likes this.
  20. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

I was hoping my boxes of halves would be in yesterday and maybe today, but I went to my local bank (Chase Bank) after they said they would order a box for me and the lady in charge told me flat out that she would not order them bc it would cost her too much! What kind of an answer is that? I am still waiting on whether or not Wells Fargo will come through or not. I hope so, bc I really wanted to go through some halves this week. I go to that bank a lot and know all these tellers fairly well so I would feel a little bad about pursuing further with action. Any suggestions?

21. jwevansv

jwevansv Senior Member

Ok, Wells Fargo just called to tell me my 2 boxes just came in so I will be posting my finds tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted