Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Went thru 3 rolls of quarters today, ended up with 10$ in states & the rest reg.

Found a few die breaks & 2 die chips .
    Also found this New Hampshire in nice condition with what I believe to be missing clad on the OBV. Im grading it at a MS66. What do you think.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chicken_little

chicken_little Active Member

I went through a box of nickels last weekend. Found a total of 29 pre-1960. 1 wartime nickel, and 1 1927-S buffalo nickel were included!

4. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Went to get another box of cents to go through today. Instead of the normal bank I go to, I tried another one. The cashier was the only one there, so she couldn't get into the vault, but she did have 50 rolls, so I took those. On ten of the rolls the wrapping was a little yellow and had the name of a different bank on it (the one I usualy go to btw). So far, three of those rolls contained nothing but unc 1981-D's; in the other four that I've gone through, nothing newer than 1981. No wheats so far, but there were a couple of 1972-D MDO-001's (pretty common, I know, but still fun to find), a 1980 D&S, a 1959-D, and a few RPMs. Looks like those rolls were sitting in a vault for almost 25 years. If I find anything else interesting, I'll post it.

5. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

From the last roll in the box, a 1955-D RPM002.

Attached Files:

6. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

1960 D/D from the latest box I'm going through. Also a few wheats, the oldest being a badly worn 1918-S.

Attached Files:

7. davidAZ

davidAZ New Member

$25 box of pennies - 4 Wheats

$220 Quarters - 4 1976, filled out most of the states, but no silver

$110 Dimes - No silver

8. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Dd

Very nice find.Bravo. :high5: Makes me want to start searching cents.

9. tracy5900

tracy5900 Coin Hoarder

bank roll better than mint roll

i heard a lot of complaining about the u.s. mint roll. i think the mint sold so many coins that they have to rush production during packaging and wrapping. and it damaged a lot of coins during wrapping. instead the bank roll wrapped by the contractor don't have to rush. it turn out better quality i suppose.

10. lumberman

lumberman Member

ok///what constitutes a box and how difficult is it to get your bank to order you boxes of coins?:)
    Warren

11. Burks

Burks New Member

I just went through the most disgusting $5 worth of cents EVER. Each roll had a heads worth of hair, the coins look like a battery exploded on them, and 50% were ruined.

Did find over 100 pre-1982 cents (didn't save the 82's). Most are soaking in olive oil or acetone trying to remove the crud.

I'll never go back to that bank again!

12. aboutBU

aboutBU New Member

More wheats

Went through $20 of pennies from the bank and got 12 wheats...all from the fourties and fifties. Not a bad night of searching. I was able to fill in a couple holes and upgrade at the same time. Sorry to hear about the nasty coins you found..I too have experienced that...makes you wonder what their house looks like if they rolled pennies like that.

13. Burks

Burks New Member

I'd rather not!

On that note, whoever had these must have had a connection with the years 1974-1976. Lots of UNC red cents. Too bad they are covered in crud, a few escaped that fate and are now in my folder.

14. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Usually a sealed box of 50 rolls of coins (Cents - $25, Nickels $100, Dimes $250, Quarters $500). I'm not sure on Halves, I'll defer to the folks that go through those. I usually go to either the teller or commercial teller (if the bank has one) and ask for a box of whatever denomination. Usually don't have too many problems, though some banks will ask if you have an account. The only time I've been refused was at a small branch, and that was because they were running low and had to get through the weekend.

15. davidAZ

davidAZ New Member

$120 in dimes yielded one silver, 1593. I've only recently tried searching through rolls and it's the first silver that I've found.

16. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Latest box: 18 Wheats, all 40's and 50's, except for a G-4 1921. 3 Canadians 1940, 1973 and 1983 and a few Memorial Cents with RPMs. Nothing really spectacular.

17. Burks

Burks New Member

Never knew about the boxes. Thanks for the information. May have to pick one up next week.

How do you guys cash all your stuff in? Rewrap and return? CoinStar? I have like $20 worth of cents sitting here.

18. davidAZ

davidAZ New Member

My bank doesn't charge for taking my change if it's rolled. It helps if you have an account with them, though they haven't verified that I am a customer yet. After some practice, I'm able to open the bank rolls on one end, spill out the change, and reuse the wrapper when I'm done searching.

CoinStar is not a bad option, but they charge 8.9%, which can add up.

19. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Our bank has a machine for change. I just dump it in there and take the receipt to the teller and get cash. Since I have an account there, there is no fee. Then, I go to a different bank to buy the boxes I want, to reduce the chance of getting coins I've already gone through.

20. Bengals311

Bengals311 Member

I use CoinStar for cents and nickels, and I re-roll dimes, quarters, and half dollars to return to the bank. Even though 8.9% is steep, that's only $2.22 on a box of cents and $8.90 on a box of nickels. The time I would spend re-rolling those is worth more than those amounts!

Although I wonder how many looks I get dumping a whole box of cents in the CoinStar at the supermarket...

DamagedWorld likes this.
  21. thebest07

thebest07 New Member

I'm a new user, and am definitely new with coin collecting. I've read people talking about "missing clad" and have no idea what this means, and how to look for it. Can someone help me out?

Draft saved Draft deleted