Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Simms

Simms Tactile History

Has humanity reached a place where few care about their honor and integrity. My word as a man is who I am. If I falter on my earned trust with the people I know and the people I just meet on the street, I have lost everything. As I walk down sidewalks I notice people who trust me and people who trust no one. I wish I could live in a place where people could co-exist in harmony, But I am also not a fool. All it ever took was one bad apple to make many feel insecure and fearful. I am a man of honor and pride, and I will die with my honor and pride no matter if it means my own death. There are few people like me these days, and I have many close friends and am trusted with more things than I could ever have imagined. Only, because people who know me, know where I take my stand in this world of chaos. I was born with the knowledge bestowed upon me from my parents, and I take their teachings to heart, the great knowledge of knowing right and just from wrong. I follow no religion, I want my children to know their father is a good and honorable man. That is all that matters to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. T-Bone0804

T-Bone0804 Junior Member

I guess I ought to clarify the Ike dollar issue since dishonesty seems to be a big issue. The coin counting machine does not accept, nor count Ike dollars. If one put an Ike in, it would not Count it. Your totall balance due would remain at zero. The bank in this regard did not lose out on any money. The only person who lost out was the person who deposited the ikes in the counter in the first place.

Since that person is an annonymous individual that neither I nor the bank knew the identity of, who owns the Ikes? I tried to deny they were mine, but I was rudely informed by the teller that she thought they were mine. To me, that would idemnify the bank from their ownership. In either case, whether I took the Ikes or have them all to the teller, they would wind up in the economy one way or another. I happened to spend them on groceries.

So was it so wrong to take something while not technically belonging to me, did not belon to the bank either? I would have gladly given them to the bank but I was told by the teller that they were mine. So who is at fault here? To me, it's the same as finding a $10 bill on the ground and asking the closest person if it's there's. If it is, great, but if they say no, do you put it back on the ground and walk away? I'd love to hear what people think. If I'm in the wrong, let me know, I'd appreciate the opinion.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Please don't feel that you are being singled out here. The issue is not with you, and it is commendable that you made an honest attempt to rectify the situation.

Chris

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

T-Bone---

Ya takes it and says thanks.

6. cpm9ball

Simms, I guess we're just relics of the past. It's really sad when others think it is amusing that people like us have ethics, morals and integrity.

I've been playing pool for 54 years, and most people think all good pool players are con artists trying to take your money. Once when I was playing the championship match for the VNEA State Championships, I committed a foul that no one saw. I called it on myself and ended up losing which cost me $3,000, the difference between 1st & 2nd Place. That was 15 years ago, and to this day, I still have people whom I don't even know approach me to commend me for what I did for pool that day.

Chris

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

That is a key point T-Bone (are you related to George Costanza?), the Ikes were not the bank's property as they were not out that money.

If it were me, I would have made it clear that the Ikes were not mine and asked, "Can I keep these?" However, you made an attempt perhaps it was sufficient. I certainly don't think you did wrong.

I don't believe that it is soley the responsibility of the establishment to get the proper $ exchanged....I believe it is a joint responsibility of both sides of the transaction.

Now, I think it would be best to get back to the topic at hand, roll searching. I continued to search my bag of dimes last night (10,000 dimes is a lot!) and am not completed. I'll report when I'm done. Who else had good fines last night.

8. bilboleslie

bilboleslie Junior Member

Although this may be off topic, it's interesting. Let's say a cashier miscounts, and her till is over at the end of the day (she has an extra dollar). She accidentally shorted a customer a dollar. Who does that dollar belong to? To some unknown customer, right?

What happens to the buck? Does the cashier get to keep it? Nope. It belongs to the business. Why can't she keep it? That would encourage short changing the customers.

Look at the reverse. If she shorts the store, and a customer is ahead a buck, who eats the buck? The cashier? Does she pull a dollar out of her purse to cover the shortage? No, the store is out the buck.

Same thing here, even though it is a machine. The money belongs to the bank, not to the cashier, and not to Tbone. In this case, Tbone tried to return the money, but a lousy cashier left Tbone with the dough. He didn't deserve it, and he tried to return it. He's not a thief, but make no mistake, the money belonged to the bank.

This money in part might offset all the foreign coins that get dumped into a counting machine. I know it happens, as when I buy a bag, I get that junk. And I eat it.

9. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

Went through a bag of $175 worth of nickels (bag wasn't full when I bought it from the bank).

Got 27 pre-1960 nickels. No war nicks or buffalos. Did find a 1946-S which helped fill a spot in my jefferson circulation folder. Found a 1938 as well

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Thanks for posting the count of pre-60s. I still need both of those two coins so good finds.

I searched a box last night and was getting pretty discouraged because I felt I was getting less of the early ones then normal. I save pre-62 so my count is a little different, but I got 26 pre 62 out of $100, so I guess it's not too bad. I also got a 43P silver so I was happy :)

I searched $100 in quarters and dimes, no silver, and still that Illinois D quarter eludes me :)

11. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

nice find with the 43P ! I was getting discouraged that I didnt find any silver in that whole bag and that I was only able to fill one spot in my folder. But, when in doubt, keep on sorting...keep on sorting...

You mentioned quarters, I still need probably 4 or 5 P mint state quarters before my circulated collection is complete. One of these days I need to grab a box of quarters to find them and be done with it, haha. P-mint state quarters are few and far between down here it seems (Central Texas).

12. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Since you guys are taking the time to search these Half Dollar rolls , don't you usually look for other things in the coins besides silver ? ( like a "no FG" for instance )

13. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

In the last 11 months, in addition to the silver half dollars, I have found about 11 1974 D DDOs and about 8 "No FG" errors (all 1982 except for one 1983).

In one box I found 14 1979 type 2 proofs in excellent shape.

So yes, Kanga, I do.

14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Can you point to some info on what to look for in the half dollars, I am getting my first box next week and some direction would be nice.

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

You can buy the Cherrypicker's guide, or a book I own, "Strike it Rich With Pocket Change."

Off the top of my head for Half Dollars:

1964 and older - 90% silver (found)
    1965 - 1970 - 40% silver (the 1970 is rare to find and sells for quite a high premium). (found)
    1982, 1983, 1989P - the designer's initials "FG" are missing on the reverse on some coins in these years (found 82 & 83, but not 89p)
    1974 DDO - Doubling on "we trust" on the obverse (found)
    1987 - Not made for circulation, only mint sets, so if you find one, hold on to it as it can be sold for a premium (found)
    2002-present - not made for circulation, only for collectors (I find MANY of these and don't keep them all)
    1989D - doubling on the D (haven't found one yet)
    Early 1971-3 some doubling on the obverse (haven't found one yet).
    Proofs (any year with an "S" mint mark) (found many)
    I have also found a couple of neat stuck through errors.

Hope this helps.

16. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Picked up another $250. Two 40's and two 90's.

17. cpm9ball

Circulation Strikes
    Pre-1965: 90% Silver

1965-1970: 40% Silver (If you find any 1970, you'll be very lucky.)

1974D: DDO

1982: No "FG" Variety

1987 P&D: Only released in Mint Sets

Proofs
    1964: You'd be lucky to find one, but check for the Accented Hair variety.

1968S-1970S: 40% Silver

1971S-1991S: Clad Proofs only

1992S-Date: Clad and Silver Proofs

Bicentennials (Dual Date)
    1976S: 40% Silver produced for 3-piece Uncirculated Set

1976S: 40% Silver produced for 3-piece Proof Set

Note: Circulation strike Bicentennials are as common as dog doo.

This should be enough to keep you occupied.

Chris

18. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Searched 2 boxes of half dollars and were the best I have searched in quite some time.
    I found:
    1 1962 Franklin
    2 1964's
    and 13 %40 :)

19. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Nice finds. :)

Wonder how long it'll take me to find my first Franklin...

So far I've searched $880 worth, pulled 7 containing silver. 1760 coins, 7 silvers. Less than one half of a percent silver in these boxes, haha.

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Finished searching the bag of dimes. Final tally:

45 2009 P coins including one with a VERY cool die crack across the head of Roosevelt (I'll post pics at a later time)

8 silver dimes:
    2 64
    2 63
    2 60
    1 57
    1 53

Not too bad of a bag. :)

I also searched a box of halves and found nothing. The box had probably 100 BU 1995 P all mixed into the different rolls.

21. Prospector

Prospector Member

Quick question

I found a B/U 1957 Lincoln in some rolls I bought off eBay and this penny caught my eye not only because of it's unique toning but it felt heavy in my hand so I weighed it, it weighs 3.3 grams, is this unusual? also , my metal detector is calling it a dime.( I pretested the detector with similar 1957's ) I tried to load some nice pictures of it but I keep getting a fatal error.

Draft saved Draft deleted