Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

That is a nice percentage.

So, in a $1000 bag, you get around 40 silvers? Keep it up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

searched $100 in quaters, $75 in dimes and $100 in nickels, only found one silver war nickels, not the best search...

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Once again, if your primary bank is a small community bank, more than likely, they order from the Fed, too. If it is a large corporation like BoA, they may have their own regional storage facilities from which coins are recirculated.

Chris

5. Digitalfuzz

Digitalfuzz Junior Member

Hi - I am new to coin collecting. Can you tell me where you purchased a BOX of nickels. I go to my bank and they act like giving me rolls of coins is a huge chore.

6. cpm9ball

Oh, that's nice! So, the bartender makes out like a bandit, and the owner gets cheated.

Chris

7. mrak

mrak Member

Hey Beef,
    That find rate sounds about right. If you're searching just for silver, quarters are going to be the toughest to find and may be on the order of one silver quarter to a couple thousand dollars searched (if that). I've seen many ppl (on a different forum) report an avg of 1-2 silver dimes per box ($500). Across 47 boxes of nickels searched I'm averaging .8 silver nickels per box (which of course includes some boxes with multiple finds and others with none). It's gonna take volume before things start showing up. Of course you may get lucky but you can expect the law of averages to eventually catch up with you.

8. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Don't worry, I drink there enough that they have made plenty of money off of me. I drop somewhere around 200 bucks there every month... I don't think $10 is going to hurt them very much.

9. cpm9ball

$200 wouldn't even pay the water bill. Unfortunately, your rationale isn't much different from most other people.

Let's suppose that 99 other customers felt the same as you, and each, including yourself, frequents that bar twice a week................

100 x $10 x 104 = $104,000 annual loss.

How would you feel if you were the owner? Better yet, why don't you buy the bar, and I'll come in with 99 of my friends twice a week.

Chris

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I hear you, i have found 3 silver quarters in about $500, so I think that is pretty good, but not great. I still have a few holes in my state quarter books so I will still get more, but will probably stop once I fill the book. Same thing on the nickels, I am trying to complete a 39-61 nickel book from circulation :)

11. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Don't drag this thread off topic, please. Also, you're assuming I always pay with half dollars. I usually just give them my CC and let them run a tab. As a former employee of said bar, a one-time hit of $10 isn't **** to them, trust me.

12. mrak

mrak Member

3 silver quarters in $500 sounds quite good to me. Nice going. I am also doing nickels from circ. The 39D, and 43-45D's I expect will be tough for you. I only have the 44d in 47 boxes so far.

13. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I found the the 39D already, and a very nice one with partial steps at that!!! The war nickels are tough, and I am having trouble with most of the low mintage S mints. The other two are the 50D and the 55 P... But it's fun to search :)

14. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Not really a roll search but I was handed a 1951 silver quarter at the convenience store yesterday. I was pretty excited about it.
    That goes to show you that you have to look at your change when you get it from the store

15. Simms

Simms Tactile History

Its all about how you ask, and body language. Learning to read people like books can help you get whatever you may want anywhere. Just be very polite and start with what I do, Teller-how may I help you?, Me-have a smile and a strange questioning face on and ask, "I kind of have a strange request for you. Teller- Oh? whats that?, Me-If you could do me a huge favor and I was wondering If I could buy some of your finest rolled pennies/cents? They will always be more than happy. And I use the word pennies because usually thats the word they use for them. Its all about presentation and making them smile.

16. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Just got done digging through another 25 rolls from that same bank, nothing good.

Called another TD Bank not too far away from my work and they have $480 worth, so that's my next stop... Think I might start dumping all mine at the bank that already has $5k of them.

17. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I agree with the asking nice part. They generally ask what you are doing and my answer is that I collect coins with my daughters and we are trying to fill up a book. My experience is most tellers don't really care and will get it for you. One teller just asked that I give her a heads up when I need something because she has to go to the vault, so now I call 10 minutes before I come and let her know, and she has it waiting for me.

With that said, at the end of the day it's a bank, and particularly if you have an account, it is their job to give you money. They should do it without hesitation, because you are a paying customer. If fact, I would ask to speak to a manager if a teller denied my request. I doubt many people ask for the amount of coinage that we do, but you are not doing anything against the rules when you ask for a box of nickels.

Be friendly and courteous and have some confidence. You pay for your bank account, even the free ones, and this is one of the services they provide. If they are rude go to another branch or another teller.

I go to about 6 banks for my coins and one of them I avoid because the teller is generally unpleasant, but the other 5 are very helpful. Find the nice ones, treat them nicely and build a relationship :)

18. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

So, basically, you stole from them.....and am so proud about it that you post it in a public forum.

Not cool.

19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

please take this somewhere else.

20. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

Searched through 4 boxes of nickels and a bag which had $145 in it.

If I remember my count, 6 war nickels and 1 buffalo. Several pre-60s but nothing special.

21. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

search through a box of pennies in the middle of doing my boxes of nickels and nothing special. 7 wheat pennies. all 40s and 50s. probably 15% copper in the whole box. blah.

Oh well. Just need to sort more :)

Draft saved Draft deleted