Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

I searched 3 boxes of half dollars, no silver found a 2008-S proof and a 1980-S proof

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I was able to get one box of shield cents, and I will sell them individually at my coin club.

With that many, I hope you have sold them on Ebay....they are going for $50 - $65 a box.

4. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Quick question about half dollar roll searching... proofs would be any that come outta San Fran, right?

I'm about to open an account at my local credit union...

5. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Yes proofs are minted at the San Francisco mint

6. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Exclusively?

Also, how do you guys open rolls in a manner which allows you to return the coins to the roll once you're done? The rolls I got were rolled quite tightly, and I had to rip them open. I spent some halfs at the bar last night... the bartenders thought they were dollars, so I was getting drunk for half as much as usual... awesome. Don't worry, I tipped the bartenders quite well.

7. davidlandon

davidlandon Junior Member

Yeah, I've sold all of them for between $77-85 shipped. No buyers on the 3 I have for sell now at $65 though. Of course, I just listed them this morning.

8. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

Earlier I had asked if anyone knew about the history of the steel pennies we have in and out of circulation; this is what I found out.

1943[SIZE=+2] - [/SIZE]Production of this wartime cent was provided for in the Act approved December 12, 1942, which also set as the expiration date of the authority December 18, 1946. Low grade carbon steel formed the base, to which a zinc coating .005 inches thick was deposited on each side electrolytically as a rust preventative. The same size was maintained but the weight was reduced from the standard 48 grains to 42 grains, due to the use of a lighter alloy. Operations commenced February 27, 1943, and by December 31st of that year the three Mints then functioning had put out an almost record breaking number of cents, with the total reaching 1,093,838,670 pieces. The copper released was enough to meet the combined needs of two cruisers, two destroyers, 1242 flying fortresses, 120 field guns and 120 howitzers; or enough for one and one-quarter million shells for our big field guns.

On January 1, 1944, the Mints were able to adopt a modified alloy, the supply being derived from expended shell casings which when melted furnished the composition similar to the original but with only faint trace of tin, the 6 grains dropped from the total weight was restored.
    1945[SIZE=+2] - [/SIZE]1945 cents are bronze, some were made of bullet cartridges and are slightly off color but have very little extra value.
    The Value of 1943 Steel Cents:
    Nowadays, while these coins are an interesting change from the brown cents that we commonly see, none of the 1943 Steel Cents are considered rare. Values for all three varieties in average circulated condition is not more than 10-20 cents, at most. In uncirculated conditions, such as might be found on a coin fresh out of a bank roll, the coins have a value of 10 to 20 dollars. Near perfect specimens (MS-66 and up) will have a value from 30 to 70 dollars.​

9. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Nothing special but I found one of those gold colored state quarters today, probably acquired from the homeshoppingnetwork or sorts and wound up into circulation.

10. Simms

Simms Tactile History

I walked down the street today to the corner bank and asked for ten dollars in rolled cents. The teller seemed confused for my asking and I told her I collected coins, not only did she hand me the ten in cents but a odd quarter that showed up in one of their rolls, its a very bright silver planchet with a crude 25 stamped on one side and it weighs out to 6.3/4 grams, it has the same diameter and thickness of a quarter. I wish I had a better camera to take pictures of it. I have searched the internet for a similar specimen but no luck. It really has a wonderful hourglass light movement when I rotate it in the light. As for the cents, well I finally found a 74s after going through 100$ of the buggers. Two wheaties and one fine red 68s.

11. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Mumu , forgive me but your photos are very fuzzy ( nice and big but out of focus )
    I am having a hard time seeing the error you are mentioning. Help me out here.

Thanks

12. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

yes

13. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Offcenter strikes?

Thanks, I know I'm asking a lotta questions...

So one more... Credit unions order their coin supplies direct from the fed, from what a friend who works for a local one told me. Do I have better or worse odds of pulling silvers from those rolls? About the same? Given I pulled a silver after checking only 2 rolls from my local bank (TD) I think I might try them a bit longer before switching over to the credit union.

14. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Sorry but there is no off center strike. that is still within reason to consider it a normal strike
    See here for an off center strike http://www.cointalk.com/t90773/#post802183

Hope this helps.

15. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

Found a 1920 Penny in a CWR. Not in the best shape, but still decent to be kept. I wonder where all this penny has been over it's lifetime ?

16. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Since I'm having such bad luck searching for silver in boxes of halves, I bought another $1000 bag of dimes.

29 2009 P
    1 1963

Only ONE silver dime (but that is better than a shutout!). This was my 3rd bag of dimes, 8 silvers to 4 silvers down to 1 silver.

Houston is now nearly silver free....lol.

I also searched 2 rolls of nickels and had one 1947. My luck has got to change soon

17. Prospector

Prospector Member

Reults

I searched a roll I purchased off eBay yesterday for 10 bucks. It was stamped New York Bridge Authority and was advertised " tight". Well, it wasn't tight but it was a great roll to search.

I'll just list what is remarkable.

1920 D A/U
    1919 D A/U
    1919 D A/U RPM
    1920 S A/U ( 3 )
    1921 A/U Brown
    1925 D A/U
    1924 S A/U
    1935 S A/U Brown
    1918 S Maybe MS60 Brown , Real sharp lettering.
    1919 P A/U ( 6 )
    1915 D VF
    1946 D B/U
    1944 B/U
    1958 B/U ( 6 )

And the Cream of the crop a 1909 P What I believe might be a Matte Proof.
    Here is a few shots of it.

Attached Files:

18. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

I was just taking a stab at what he thought the error might be. I know that's not considered an offcenter strike. ;)

Also, Prospector, nice roll.

19. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brother William Herbert Hunt still live in Texas don't they ? :D

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Hey Erin, that is it! lol

Erin lives in the same area as me (10 minutes apart), and we order boxes from different banks (both Brinks and S & Sons wrappers). I have 13 shutout boxes in a row and he is currently working on 7 shutouts in a row.

20 consecutive shutouts from the same area!!! YUCK!

The Hunts are at it again!!!!!!!!!

21. immytay1

immytay1 Member

Found a 1938P Jefferson Nickel

Draft saved Draft deleted