Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Shawn151

Shawn151 Junior Member

I have a quick question for nickel experts...

I normally don't get nickel rolls, but today I figured I'd give a couple a shot. When I crack into them come morning, what should I be looking for (besides the obvious: buffalos and before)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

war nickels.

4. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

This is what its all about

I went to three banks yesterday to obtain halves.

The first gave me 62$, out of which I got 1 '64 and one '68 (looks like S over D, but I couldn't get a good picture).

The second gave me 18$, nothing.

The third gave me 230$. 10 loose, 50 wraped in tape, and 170 hand rolled.

1 40% from the loose.

1 40% from the taped.

From the hand rolled:

3 40%
    13 '64's (90%)
    2 Walkers

322 Frankies :yawn:

Attached Files:

5. Jeff 31

Jeff 31 Junior Member

Shawn,
    I'm a nickel "novice" (LOL!), but I look for mainly Buffalos (pre-1938) and War nickels (35% silver), but I also keep everything pre-1960. The War nickels are easily identified by the different location of the mint mark on the upper middle part of the reverse. There are a few S over D or D over S errors from the 40s-50s, but I haven't found any and don't recall the dates. Hope this helps...good luck...Jeff.

6. Jeff 31

Jeff 31 Junior Member

Can't wait for a score like that! Good job!

7. kimdehart

kimdehart Penny Nut

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Shawn151

Shawn151 Junior Member

Thanks, i'll be starting in a few mins! :)

9. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

now that's a nice find!! :bow:

10. Algamish

Algamish Junior Member

Proofs

When searching through rolls, especially halves how do you identify proofs? Do they have the S mintmark? Thanks for the help in advance.

What else besides silver and proofs should be looked for?

11. Algamish

Algamish Junior Member

Stats

We searched a box of halves for the first time. We pulled out 5 40%ers. I am not sure what else to look for. We had lots of fun though.

12. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Don't forget to check the rotation, I found 2 magicians coins that way. Also, Look for a missing FG under the eagles L leg (your right) as well as the Doubled Dies in 71,72,73 & 74.

13. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Check the roataion. Found a 45-50degree rotation and an 85 degree rotation on nickels last year.

14. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Searched 5 boxes of halves didnt find much.. 5 40%ers 1 1964 and an 88-S proof

15. Algamish

Algamish Junior Member

What to look for in halves

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what you mean though - magicians coins?

I didn't know about the FG - How does that impact value and is that only certain years?

Im not sure how to spot a doubled dies or how to look for a proof.

16. Algamish

Algamish Junior Member

Searching Ikes

I stopped at the bank yesterday to see what kind of rolls they had. They had $200 in ikes. Are those even worth going through? What would one look for in ikes?

Thanks. We are newbies and trying to get a family hobby going with the kids.

17. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

What are these percentages mean?

18. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

You could resale those at a small profit. I'm surprised your bank had those. I have yet to find a bank in my local area that has IKEs.

19. Jeff 31

Jeff 31 Junior Member

I struck out with silver on my half box today (4th strike out in a row). But when I took them to the free coin counter, there was a 67 half in the reject tray (along with a 53 dime, two 50 Euro coins and a Guatemalan 25 centavos).

20. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Silver!

21. Jeff 31

Jeff 31 Junior Member

90% silver halves were made before 1965 - 40% silver halves are those from 1965 to 1970.

Draft saved Draft deleted