Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

It was fun right. Way to start again

4. Ruffhrouse

Ruffhrouse Member

I’m new to coin collecting and I have a lot of coins I need help with :) this coin feels so much lighter than any other pure nickel 5 cent it also has much weaker magnetic pull ,also makes higher pitch sound when dropped.I know from research Canada also does currency for many other countries,could this be one? The weigh scale is a cheap one but it shouldn’t come up 2grams under weight,every other nickel I weigh comes up 4g. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

5. jensenbay

It's damaged and material is missing. That would change the weight and the sound it makes. Maybe it was in the ground or a science experiment of some sort.

6. Ruffhrouse

Ruffhrouse Member

Yeah gotta take the risk of sending,I think I will it’s just got me that baffled. Magnetic pill is 35% less the weight it’s 2gs under and it doesn’t look like it was in the ground for any period of time.Canada was smacking out Israel coins in 1979 on the 5 cent so it fits the date as well.who knows might get lucky.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Wow nice ender on the Franklin. The US Capitol may be a commemorative? You would have to take the sticker off the obverse. Acetone soak maybe.
    Dustin, as for the flash do you mean luster? When the coins are brand new they will be super shiny. As they circulate that wears off.
    The proofs go through a special process and they often have mirror finishes, strong details, and great luster. They made regular business strike S's but they would look like any other quarter without the strong details and original mint luster. Those were not intended for circulation. They were sold in bags to collectors who would grade the very best ones, and spend the rest.
    OK so I pick up 3 rolls today. (In my fruitless search for a W.) A while back I asked them what if I get a Canadian coin? They asked me if I had ever gotten one and I said no, they said I could bring it back and they would exchange it. So in the first roll all clustered near one end, first I saw something with a silver edge but it looked like a foreign and it was a 2022 Canadian. At first I figure they hustled me for a quarter as I am not bringing it back, but then I looked at it (much better looking in hand than the photo) and it is absolutely spotless on both sides. It is immaculate. It is mint state even though it came from a roll so I am keeping it. Right after that I pulled 2 more S proofs. Frederick Douglas and Theodore Roosevelt. I pulled 5 looks for a W, the second roll 4 looks for a W. The third roll was sort of a dud, only 1 look for a W. There was a Chaco Canyon, (I keep the Acadia, El Yunque and Chaco Canyons as they are the lowest mintage business strikes.) But it was so beat up I threw it back. I also found a weird New Jersey state quarter with a silver edge. OK it must be plated, but the rest of it looks completely normal. Not a wrong planchet as the weight and the patina are 100% clad. If I hit a W I will post I haven't looked at those 10 yet.
    Can3.png Fred3.png TR1b.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Rambutan52 likes this.
  8. Rambutan52

Rambutan52 Well-Known Member

My latest nickel box search was a ho hum event. Noteworthy finds were a well worn buffalo, a 1940-S, and a 2009-D. The early decade count were two from the 1940s and six from the 1950s.

IMG_0947.jpeg IMG_0948.jpeg IMG_0949.jpeg IMG_0950.jpeg IMG_0945.jpeg

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was trying to decide whether I saw a hint of a mintmark peeking up at the bottom of that Buffalo, but I guess not. I'd still be tempted to give it a white-vinegar soak, just out of curiosity. Hey, it might be a 1916/16... :rolleyes:

10. Rambutan52

Rambutan52 Well-Known Member

No evidence of a MM using my 10x handheld magnifier. Will pass on the vinegar soak. I give those undated nickels to a relative who uses them in necklaces.

SensibleSal66 and -jeffB like this.
  11. Dustin McDaniel

Dustin McDaniel Active Member

Went through 3 boxes of halves today. First two boxes were skunk boxes.
    Last box had,
    1- 1987 NIFC
    5 Hoppalong Cassidy Good luck tokens.
    1- 1966
    3- 1968
    Also some strange gold plated looking coin with a weird date stamped into it.
    Box was also loaded with NIFC's which makes me think someone decided to turn them in instead of waiting for them to ever be worth anything.
    IMG_20240215_202300.jpg IMG_20240215_202318.jpg

halvessearcher and -jeffB like this.
  12. -jeffB

Looks like the 25th anniversary of his election as President. I seem to remember seeing coins like this before, although it seems odd that they'd do it on a 1973 coin instead of a 1985.

13. jensenbay

$18 in loose halves... nothing of interest.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It would be if you bought a Pizza.... biggrin.gif

-jeffB likes this.
  15. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

Got a box of dollar coins and two of half dollars on order with my local bank, will post results in two -three weeks after they get in and I have time to search them

In the meantime I'm going to get some boxes of nickels, dimes, and pennies, we'll see what they hold. First time CRH after moving from the west coast out east

16. -jeffB

Get used to lots and lots and LOTS of P-mint coins, some D, and almost never any S. What was the distribution like when you were hunting on the west coast?

coingeek12 likes this.
  17. coingeek12

After visiting three branches of my bank (one of which was rather rude, acted very inconvenienced to get me only 1 box of nickles) I finally have obtained 3 boxes of nickles and pennies, along with just over half a box of halves. I'll be looking through them mostly tonight but I did open up one roll of halves and for 2 40% silvers in there, so looking forward to opening the rest of the rolls.

Attached Files:

halvessearcher likes this.
  18. coingeek12

Distribution on the west coast was slim pickings for anything P. Silver non-existent. Very few coins from pre 1950 if that. And this is years ago lol

19. coingeek12

With 2 penny and 2 nickel boxes appearing to only be from recent mintages (nothing from before 2022 visible) ive started looking at the one decent box of nickels, found sine old Jeffersons, including the ever disappointing non-silver 1942 nickel

Attached Files:

20. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

possibly from a proof set. nice

21. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested I'll buy your NIFC or proof half dollars that you pull for $0.55 each. Must be AU or better. I will cover shipping as well.
    PM me and we can do details.

Dustin McDaniel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted