Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. dvmiller2006

dvmiller2006 New Member

My one bank of america said that they were not even allowed to place the order but I then called my other bank of america and they were able to place the order for $500 in halves I only order on fridays and tuesdays, I think its just the people inside the bank because half of them don't know what they are doing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Yesterday I received a call from the vault manager at one of my order banks letting me know the $500 half dollar order I had placed in early March had arrived in mid-March, and now that their lobby was open they’d like me to pick it up.

I honestly didn’t remember placing this order, and given the lobby of my main dump bank is still closed I’d rather not have a large volume of coins to dump atm, but I’ll pick ‘em up tomorrow anyway.

This vault manager also informed me my favorite branch manager moved to another branch, so I’ll checkin with her at her new branch this week while I’m out picking up my $500 half dollar order. She’s the one who occasionally orders Ikes for me, so any time is a good time to checkin with her :happy:

GL everyone!

GenX Enthusiast and TexAg like this.
  4. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Well wonders never cease...
    image.jpg
    Turned out the order was Ikes...I’ll look for silver when I return home and report here if I find anything remarkable.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    -jeffB, furryfrog02, Tuco and 3 others like this.
  5. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Hope you find some keepers in there!

berto likes this.
  6. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

some people buy bags of halves from the US Mint directly and go through them looking for the few that are going to grade up a little higher than the rest, then they dump the rest into circulation for face value. and of course there are the usual ways, kids, junkies, thieves, people who just don't know any different and the like.

7. softmentor

nice grab on the Ike's! Good luck! look for s mint, too. and there are some 40% silver too. I usually find more counterfeit "tokens" than silver. But its out there. good luck!

berto likes this.
  8. berto

berto Well-Known Member

I spy...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Only silver in the $500 bag, but I ain’t complaining!

GL out there everyone :)

9. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

berto likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm down to 1-2 boxes of cents a week thanks to the coin shortage. I do have about 15 boxes back-logged atm. You'd think with all this time off I would have more time to search. Not the case. I've also slowed down searching since I have nowhere to dump yet. Sitting on almost $2000 worth of cents is no fun...

11. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Is using a coinstar for the a, no fee, gift card and option for you? The coinstars are open in my area. Could cash some if it out.

12. softmentor

my guess is you could "sell" some of them to almost any fast food store or retail store. I would think they would each take like at least $20 worth if not more. They are all desperate for coin. and for that mater, why would banks not take them right now?

13. furryfrog02

No bank will take $2k of unwrapped cents. I doubt that they'd take that much even if they WERE wrapped. I usually have dump banks with machines but those are all still shut down.

14. furryfrog02

I've thought about it. I don't think I can dump the whole bunch but perhaps I can offload some.

berto likes this.
  15. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

Guys and gals, I have a question. I’ve been coming across moderately circulated 10.5-10.9g clad Kennedy’s during my half dollar hunts. They only way I can tell they’re lighter than normal is because when they hit against typical 11.3-11.5g halves, they make a strange sound. I’ve been plucking them out. Any reason I shouldn’t be keeping these? You figure some sort of alloy error by the mint? Once again, these aren’t lowball, heavily worn halves, and most are dated 1971 & 1972. Thanks in advance for the info.

16. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Could be a magician’s coin. Put it in a glass jar, put the lid on it and shake it hard. If a magician’s coin it should come apart.

17. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Found a pretty decent spitting horse quarter at work today. Also a reverse greaser

DA36DA67-E4E1-4431-B838-C57384F9B6AE.jpeg AFC97814-2EAC-4B61-8D3B-A20D4D79A473.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    berto and TexAg like this.
  18. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

19. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

They’re not...I thought that first but I’ve gotten about 15 of those already. They make a flat clunk when dropped, different from the sounds these lighter coins make. Also, the obverses and reverses are always aligned perfectly on the coins I’m speaking of.

TexAg likes this.
  20. berto

berto Well-Known Member

It’s possible the lighter weight coins were struck on thinner stock, but I don’t believe there’s a premium for such a coin.

21. softmentor

I don't remember what year, but there were some struck on metal intended for dimes so they are light.
    But there are a lot that are just "off" on the thickness and are of no interest. They were just made on blanks that were a little thinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted