Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Boy, that is clear as day! Are they all like that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking Bambam8778. Usually the R, the S to a lesser extent, and the U to an even lesser extent are obvious under a 10X loupe. But this is one of the better examples I have found. Maybe it was struck early in the life of the die? Or maybe it's due to the nice condition of this coin. Either way, it's going in the Kid#4 Dansco Album. :cool:

berto and Bambam8778 like this.
  4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

$13.5 in halves... one 40%.

berto likes this.
  5. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Few more wheats yesterday. Not a lot of saveable copper.
    Just going through the motions.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This represents searching 20,000 dimes. That’s 1 silver dime per 18 rolls. The mercury dime in the 2x2 is a 1917-P AU. I brought it to the bank to show what I found. Most tellers had never seen a mercury dime before. I also brought homemade cupcakes as a thank you.
    52912088-81CE-4427-82DA-7C88FDDEEAAA.jpeg 7FEFC666-E36F-460D-B7F4-CFD7BDBEFC98.jpeg 1F77C542-EF65-4592-8EEC-82C656312CA8.jpeg

7. Seattlite86

Don’t you have a stack of these now?!

TexAg likes this.
  8. berto

berto Well-Known Member

@TexAg your find rate for ‘74D DDO halves is at least 10x mine, nice coin!

TexAg likes this.
  9. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I feel like with the number of halves i search, I should've found a 1974 DDO. I know what it looks like in the books (i.e pictures of it) but maybe its harder to see it on the coin? Maybe i should go into a shop and look at one in hand, to help me expect what i see.

TexAg likes this.
  10. berto

berto Well-Known Member

@ace71499 Texag’s most recent ‘74D DDO photo is an excellent example of what to look for, so I recommend you use it as a “go by”.

Richard gladfelter and TexAg like this.
  11. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

Ace, it definitely helps to actually see one and hold it, once you find your first one, they seem much easier too find. I have been CRH half dollars over 5 years and I have pulled over 125 of them. I felt the same way when I started, I also have a few rolls unopened that have the 74D DDO as Enders. Good luck.

SlipperySocks, berto and TexAg like this.
  12. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

I know it’s strange, but after actually finding my first one which took a while, I seemed to find them much easier. Lol.

TexAg likes this.
  13. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

Found my first strike thru tonight. 1987 Lincoln - shows well on the front not so much on the back

Attached Files:

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

clashed die

Seattlite86 and berto like this.
  15. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

@Arby is right, it seems easier now. See my new AU coin I found just an hour ago in the picture below. But I do think he and I have a slight advantage living in areas that get coins from the Denver Mint (he in NM, me in TX). Sure, 1974 was a long time ago and you would think coins would move across the country after all this time. But not so much with halves as they aren’t really used in commerce. Yes, I do get Philly coins here but not to the same degree as Denver coins. So you guys and gals living in Philadelphia supplied areas will have a tougher time for sure.
    I have found ~115 1974-D DDO in the last 1-1/2 years. I learned about this coin after joining CT, so I have this forum to thank! Likely I let a few slip though my fingers before then, lol. I like this coin because I believe it is the easiest Doubled Die to find in all of the denominations. In fact, I have never found a different Doubled Die. I do check every date on every coin. If it’s a 1974-D, it gets a closer look with my 10X loupe. When I am on a skunk streak, I stay optimistic about finding this DDO. It is a bonus coin, kind of like finding a nice condition proof. My real dilemma is trying to figure out how to monetize a portion of my stack.
    The PCGS price guide (per my PCGS app) shows the following valuations:
    XF 40 = $28
    AU 55 = $30
    AU 58 = $32
    MS 60 = $34
    I don’t really know if these are realistic, or if there is even much demand for this coin. But if so, they are worth more than any of my 90% silver halves I have found CRH.

476501E0-C214-40B3-BAB9-9E03A7896658.jpeg CD62FA29-7A15-45D7-B6DC-5C08D7414E7F.jpeg 9FF55B68-E06A-4CF1-A1AC-275A6FA3ECB4.jpeg

16. berto

berto Well-Known Member

I’ve had a box of nickels lying around for about 3 years (I swear I’m not a hoarder), and today I finally decided to search it. Results were okay, with a dateless Indian, a ‘40S, and ’52S as the best finds.

Other noteworthy finds were:
    1960 “bar O”
    ‘64 D with PMD I like to refer to as “comet head “
    BU ‘72
    One Mexican peso

I’m satisfied despite not finding a war nickel :smuggrin: 7DCB88DC-FBF0-4099-A127-3E6BE7633146.jpeg 7AC06E35-AED7-4AFB-A28E-2520812C8A4C.jpeg

17. Scubalou

Wow found my second strike thru tonight and ever. Better than my first. This is a 1999 in what I would say is an MS 63 or 64.

Attached Files:

18. Seattlite86

This is not. Strike through, its a clashed die. Still an error, still very cool, still a keeper, but not a strike through. http://www.error-ref.com/die_clash/

Nice find.

Scubalou, Tater and berto like this.
  19. Scubalou

O.k., thanks. I guess the other one I found tonight must be the same. Just learning. Thanks

berto, Seattlite86 and Kentucky like this.
  20. Scubalou

O.K., thanks, still learning.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

We all are.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted