Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Couple of wheats but overall this box hasn't been typical of an unmarked white wrapped rolls...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So you're moving back to the States this year, right? Maybe once you're back we should ask you to divulge where you've been searching -- although I don't know whether that would be a good place to search, for all the good results you've shown, or a bad place to search because you've single-handedly depleted it! :)

berto and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I will be telling one person and one person only. That person will take my place until I somehow return, or that person leaves. I’ve picked the person already, just not sure if he’ll take the mantle.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

seriously?
    Wheaties were ended in 1955 and they sure ain't rare

6. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Sorting my CRH 40% halves by date today for error searching and realized something odd.
    All of my '65-'67 finds are solid P mint.
    All my '68 & '69 finds are solid D mint.
    I find that curious.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

That's because they only made P 1965-67 halves, and D 1968-69 halves

Now the kicker would be if you found one that was made from the opposite mint!!!

8. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Technically, 1965-67 coins were made at all three mints, but it was the policy during those years to not use mint marks, since the mint was busy trying to get enough dimes and quarters (and to a lesser degree halves) into circulation to replace those being hoarded for silver content. For whatever reason, they were worried about issuing a year/mint mark rarity that would spur further hoarding.

9. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

actually the wheat cent was made through 1958. and the Lincoln cent continued after that.
    There is no Canadian cent now. They stopped making them entirely. There really is no premium yet, but I set them aside in case there is. Pretty soon, though, I think I may just toss them back into circulation. They are still worth 1 cent.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

oops, typo

11. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Just picked up 2 more Loomis boxes, one with the gold wrapper (7 or maybe 8 enders showing), one with yellow wrappers (2 or enders showing). Opening the better box with the wife.

9DD2B621-5E5F-47FB-A231-119CE8232F53.jpeg D14BFE84-F37B-455D-9A2A-51B0C7D5DDAD.jpeg

Seattlite86, Bambam8778, Arby and 5 others like this.
  12. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Man you are on a hot streak. Get it while its good!

TexAg likes this.
  13. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Man, I sold my box of pennies to the store today.
    Then went to the post office. Got a watch and forgot all about getting another box.

14. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

We are feeling very blesssed today. The wife got the good news from the dermatologist that the melanoma he excised from her leg last week had "clean" edges. Big relief! She has one more lesion to remove, a basal cell carcinoma on her other leg. Will be happy to have that one gone in about a week. After the good news, we celebrated with burgers and chocolate shakes at Grub Burger. Then we searched the rolls of the 8 ender box and it gave up 52 silvers!

Hug your loved ones and Happy Hunting everyone!

1 x 63-D Franklin
    2 x 64
    1 x 65
    9 x 66
    14 x 67
    18 x 68-D
    7 x 69-D

8 Ender 52 Silver Box.jpg

15. berto

berto Well-Known Member

I received a call this morning from a cu asking if I wanted $150 in mwr halves. Of course, I said yes. I had stopped there about 2 weeks ago and asked the branch manager if she would mind emailing the other cu branches in town to check for halves. She said she would, and she would call me. The call didn’t come until this morning, but I’m not complaining. Apparently, she couldn’t locate any halves at the other cu branches, so she placed an order for $500 in halves. “The Fed” brought only $150 worth because “that’s all they had”. As usual, the mwrs were a bust.

Next, I stopped at my dump bank and deposited a bunch of rolled halves, and asked the 3 tellers there if they had any halves. One said she had $3 loose and 1 cwr. As she was counting out the loose halves in front of me I spotted silver! It was an impaired 96S silver proof, which was my first silver proof found in the wild! The cwr was a bust, but the silver proof made my day. 6CCFB4CE-FF97-456A-BD89-1F4180CF1C5F.jpeg 49AA6A35-34F2-4BB8-9786-DCBAB144FE0E.jpeg

16. KeithMS70

KeithMS70 New Member

17. Hagenhomestead

Hagenhomestead Hospitalized

Not much of a roll hunter. I've bought penny rolls, couple bucks worth a few times. Hit the liquor store on the way back into the hills. The owner was cracking a nickel roll to give me change along with Uncle Jack. I asked him if he could just add the roll to the tab so I could check it out. Pulled 2 - 64's, my birth year - 80 P and a 1994 P. Looked up the 94-P (she's not the prettiest) but I'll take it! 1547618204330.jpg 1547620427319.jpg

18. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Your persistence paid off @berto ! By the way, that 1996-S silver proof is a 90%er. I didn't realize that silver proof Kennedys minted from 1992 to date are 90% silver until my local coin dealer mentioned it to me the other day, and I confirmed it in my Red Book. I have yet to find one in the wild. Congratulations!

19. berto

berto Well-Known Member

@TexAg, yes, and several of the modern Kennedy silver proofs have relatively low mintage, which adds a small premium to the value. I’m satisfied with my find :)

TexAg likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You probably already know this, but it's worth clarifying that not all proof Kennedys from those years are silver. Same for dimes and quarters -- they were issued in both clad and 90% silver compositions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    softmentor, TexAg and berto like this.
  21. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks @-jeffB . Yes, I have found a lot of clad Kennedy proofs from those years in circulation. I put the best ones in my Dansco album. Have not found a single silver one though. :yack:

berto likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted