Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. karrlot

karrlot Senior Member

In a box of nickles I found 4 rolls of war nickles. I thought that was pretty neat. I put them back in rolls and set them aside. When I went to show my wife, I opened them up to find 4 rolls of modern nickels. I had gotten my rolls mixed up and sent the war nickels back to the bank. Easy come, easy go.

In the last two weeks I've gone through 100 rolls of halves - 16 - 40%, 3 - 90% and a 1954D.

Almost as much fun as searching halves is spending them. Most teenagers have never even seen them. I love buying things with a mix of Sacs, Ikes, SBAs, and halves.

gates and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I pretty well completed my entire Jefferson set just by searching rolls.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. vision

vision Senior Member

tommorow i'm going to buy $100 worth of nickels from my bank. mostly i'll be looking for only 2004~2005 series of nickels (and of course the silver war time nickels and old buffalos). what else should i look for? i'll post results when i finish going through all of them :)

Endeavor likes this.
  5. vision

vision Senior Member

well i just finished going through $100 worth of nickels from the bank. results:

61 keelboats
    41 peace medals
    46 (2005)buffalos
    9(!) ocean view

10 nickels dated 1939~1959 (not counting the silver war times)
    2 silver war time nickels

oldest nickel found was the one 1939

and, one more unusual find: 1994 canada 5 cent coin (haha!)

gates and Endeavor like this.
  6. chicken_little

chicken_little Active Member

hm..vision, seems like you found 1/4 the average of pre-1960 per box. Atleast you collect the new ones. I don't and that wouldn't be very fun to only find 12 oldies.

Yesterday I went through 10 rolls of nickels. Found 7 oldies, one of them was a war-time.

gates likes this.
  7. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Bought a roll of halves today and found a 1918 Walker, pretty worn, AG3.

Endeavor and Bambooski like this.
  8. AvgCollector

AvgCollector New Member

Bought a roll of dollar coins. Nothing good IMO. Any good SBA's to look out for? I don't think that many or that rare.

9. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Out of 5 nickel rolls I got, 4 of them were nothing but 2005D bison nickels. Saved a roll... but really trying to fill my nickel book so getting sick of seeing the same one all the time, lol. Found a lot of 40's, 50's, 60's searching a few rolls. My half dollar searching finally turned up a silver today, 1967.

10. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

None especially are. 81's are pretty rare in circualtion (not that rare on absolute basis, but were only issued in mint sets). S-minted SBAs are a little bit rarer than the P&D minted ones, but not by much. 2002 or later Sacagaweas were only issued in mint sets and are relatively rarer than 2000-2001. I had to go through a lot of dollar coins before I found any 2001 Sacagaweas, lol... the 2000's overwhelm them a lot.

11. smithrow1

smithrow1 New Member

Got 6 rolls of halfs last night 7-40% 1-64 Kennedy. Today 35 rolls of halfs
    13-40%. Good weekend.

12. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

My bank was closed today so couldn't get more halves, so I went to Wells Fargo to search nickels. Out of $20 worth of nickels only found one I needed, a 1955D. Oh well, better than finding nothing after searching 400 nickels, lol...

Monday looking through more halves.

13. dziowi

dziowi New Member

Bank rolls of Penneys

Had a little free time today and I went through two boxes of Pennies packed by Brinks. (Thats $50 of pennies)

In the first box, I found 1952D, 1956D AU still shinning, 1920, 1955, 1944, 1945, 1955, 1942, 1948, 1952D, 1956D, 1952D, 1945, 1945, 1957D, 1945, 1950S, 1956 and about ten candian. So thats 18/2500 or 0.72%

In the Second Box I found, 1941S, 1940, 1955, 1953D, 1958, 1956D, 1941, 1956D, 1926, 1956, 1944, 1946., and three candian. so 12/2500 or .48%

In total I found 30 wheat pennies in two boxes. Total % of population that was wheat pennies was 0.6%... just above a half a percent.
    Over the summer I went through ten boxes($250 of pennies) and I actually found a 1897 indian cent. Figure that you will get about a half a percent for wheaties and few and far between for other specials.

Bill

AidenAlexander and Vince11229 like this.
  14. cherrypicker

cherrypicker New Member

Wow,beats my penny searching-today searched 20 rolls pennies, found 2 canadians and 8 dimes...no wheaties :hammer:

jon12 likes this.
  15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I found a 1968-D half a few days ago after going thru 4 rolls of halves.

B

16. dziowi

dziowi New Member

Searching through large amounts of coins

If your local bank has a coin counting machine, then it makes searching for coins a breeze. You ask for a box, search, and then go back to the bank, dump the coins in their machine and it recounts it... go back and get another box.

Don't bring your coins back to the supper market or anything like coinstar becuase they charge you.

Bill

17. chicken_little

chicken_little Active Member

Last weekend I went through 2 boxes of dimes ($500) and a box of quarters($500). I found 4 silver dimes: 1950-D, 1961, 1963-D, 1964-D. I didn't find any silver quarters, but I did find a painted vermont quarter.

AidenAlexander likes this.
  18. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

rool searchers

Hi All
    Went through 10 rools of nickels friday. Found 27 coins from 2004 & 2005 all denver mint coins. I find find bison & keel boat circulated nickels all the time. Not many ocean in view coins are showing up here in bank rolls. I live in masa az I get all denver mint coins here hard to find p-mints coins.

19. Skylark

Skylark Senior Member

An Ameri!can Invasion !

sorted through maybe 20 rolls of 1c and in every roll there was 1-6 US pennies
    also looked through 2 10c and 1 5c and found a dime and nickel.

Not that special but it is something.

20. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

I got a 100$ box of nickles the other day, found tons!! of 2005 ocean views' and bisons, only a 57 and a 58. and a canadian I gues not that good. Where do you guys bank at to get the bags and the counting machines and the halfs? do you order them? I opened accouns at 3 places in hopes to get stuff with no luck. I am in southern california.

21. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

I got a $100 box of nickels the other day. Found a 1925 Buffalo nickel several nickels from the 40's and several from the 50's.

Draft saved Draft deleted