Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Got a “rigged” Brinks box of halves from Chase. Sold to me as a “sealed box from the Fed”. My first clue that something was fishy was the seal had been sliced open. Next I noticed that one end of each roll looked like it had been crimped back down by hand trying to mimic a machine crimp. But, they looked funny to me, not quite perfect enough. The wrappers were black and white Brinks wrappers. Then after a number of rolls, I noticed all the coins were facing the same direction in every roll. Needless to say, I did not find silver, although I did find 3 NIFCs. Somebody searched the box and tried to pass it off as MWRs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. berto

berto Well-Known Member

Very frustrating, sorry this happened to you. I’ve received only 1 box containing hand rolled halves, and it was actually a mix of hand rolled and machine rolled, so not as frustrating as your situation.

TexAg likes this.
  4. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. The bank even wrote my name on some of those boxes!

TexAg likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am a little confused here. The fed doesn't box coins for the banks , they are shipped in large ballistic bags to the 3rd party companies like Brinks, Guarda, to sell them to banks in boxed rolls, etc. There is no sealed box of rolled coins available from the Fed. Who did you buy them from??? If a bank takes in a partial box of coins and they have enough re-wrapped rolls to fill it, they can do that, but it is legal for them to do so. Jim

6. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Yes, I’m well aware the Fed diesn’t box coins. That is how many tellers describe their sealed boxes of MWRs vs receiving coins back customers. I just go with their lingo rather than argue the point with them. As for my box, somebody searched it, re-rolled the coins, and hand crimped the ends to make them look like they were still MWRs. The only thing they did not do was re-seal the box with a fresh piece of tape. I bought the box from Chase with the understanding it was sealed which it wasn’t. I should have checked the seal but was in a hurry to continue my drive across the state. No biggie, everything about it was “legal”. Just letting everybody there are sneaky people out there. BTW, having arrived in Houston and checking with a handful of banks, it is very difficult to find MWR halves. Several tellers told me they have boxes of searched halves in their vaults from CRH customers who order the boxes, search them, and dump them back at the same branch. Tsk, tsk! At least these tellers were honest and told me they had been searched up front.:)

berto likes this.
  7. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

Today picked up my last four boxes for this week, it was a nice finish to this week, 2 skunks, I pulled 4-90%ers and 8-40%ers. 1-62D Bennie, 1-64D Kennedy, 2-64P Kennedy, 1-66, 2-67, 2-68, and 3-69's. I also pulled $226.00 in NIFC Coins, 24-07D's, 25-07P's, 101-08D's, 104-08P's, 38-10D's, 37-10P's, 65-11D's, and 59-11P's. if anyone needs any of these please PM me and I will sell at face value, you pay shipping plus 3% for paypal. Please let me know asap. I will pick out the best of the best to send you.
    Oct 18 2018 Finds-ccfopt-ccfopt.jpg 20181018_160800-ccfopt.jpg

8. ALPHATHEAWESOME

ALPHATHEAWESOME Active Member

4 boxes of halves from Chase yielded 4x40% silver coins. Halves have been slow lately. I believe the 1965 is an SMS coin. It’s got a more defined rim, pronounced reeds, and it’s thicker than the other 40%ers. Found a 1966 SMS back in 2015 so now I just need a 1967 SMS 32F8EE71-D82A-45AD-9EA0-40190A76FF35.jpeg 18CE0218-CE78-48E4-A1E3-2E8749CB19BE.jpeg 8853FCFE-0C48-4D05-AF9C-704A8A9744DC.jpeg

9. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

This happened to me 3 times and every time they say "sEaLeD fRoM tHe FeD"

ace71499 and TexAg like this.
  10. berto

berto Well-Known Member

1 box of halves, 1 beat up NIFC, blah.

11. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

I did get a 'Fed' penny box yesterday.
    Nothing great after 10 rolls.
    But hope springs eternal.

Skyquest likes this.
  12. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Picked up 3 rolls of these foil wrapped 1960 LMC's from my LCD. Hoping to find a few smalls in them but that was not the case. What I did find were many (about a rolls worth) of die cracks, die gouges, roughly polished, and nicely toned coins. The ones I'm showing are crack heads going from the top of the head down to about mid chest (contained). On the reverse on all of them, there are the same tell tale gouges. In all 3 rolls, there were 10 of these with the exact same details. The toning on the nice ones ranged from violet to iridescent green like the one in the pics.
    2018-10-19 08.31.15.jpg 2018-10-19 08.34.03.jpg 2018-10-19 08.33.06.jpg 2018-10-19 08.36.07.jpg 2018-10-19 08.35.24.jpg

13. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

14. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins Double Die!

15. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Thank you. I might just have to go back and get me a few more rolls???

TexAg likes this.
  16. Arby

Arby Well-Known Member

So I went and dumped coin today and checked with the drive threw tellers, Purchased $100 in MWR and CWR, the MWR were skunked but the CWR contained 22 pieces of silver, 1-64D, 3-66, 7-67, 7-68, and 4-69's, that makes 42 pieces for this week. Awesome way to end the week. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. Hope you all score something good.

[​IMG] Teller Score![​IMG][​IMG]

Oct 19 2018 Teller Finds-ccfopt.jpg

bhh, SlipperySocks, berto and 4 others like this.
  17. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

This is today all halves are 40s the 2 dimes are of course 90 The halves came from $40 of CWR and the dimes of course came from boxes (3) to be exact
    F9461365-5B8C-496C-A84A-A181CEB833CC.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    -jeffB, berto, AllCoExpat and 6 others like this.
  18. awesomeitems

awesomeitems Member

Neat finds bhh!

bhh likes this.
  19. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

This Fed box doesn't seem to be related to the one that gave two Indian Head pennies. 20 rolls to go and maybe 4 wheats and perhaps 40 to 50 copper keeps.

bhh likes this.
  20. berto

berto Well-Known Member

1 bank yesterday had $1.50 loose halves. No silver. A few minutes later as I was waiting in line at Costco to buy a hotdog combo with the 3 halves I took a closer look and discovered 1 of the halves was a 77D no FG. Needless to say I kept it!

bhh, tmeyer and SlipperySocks like this.
  21. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

I am still looking for that one. The only two coin shows we have in my area are coming up in the next few weeks and I am hoping to cherry pick this one and as many others as possible.

berto and bhh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted